Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > SCSI Scanner not being detected

SCSI Scanner not being detected

Ernie Werbel

Hi all,

I bought an HP ScanJet IIcx SCSI scanner. I installed the PCI card and
connected the scanner. I set the address of the scanner to zero with no
other devices (this is my first time working with SCSI by the way). So I
booted the machine and the card BIOS goes through addresses 0 up to 7 not
finding anything. But the scanner also came with a 3.5" diskette, so I
started Windows and ran the setup program. I rebooted with the scanner on
as it said to do but it is saying there is no scanner connected. I have
checked the cables and am pretty sure they're good. Any ideas? Thanksin
advance for any help.

Ernie

Michael B. Trausch

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 03:33:36 +0000, Ernie Werbel wrote:

> I bought an HP ScanJet IIcx SCSI scanner. I installed the PCI card and
> connected the scanner. I set the address of the scanner to zero with no
> other devices (this is my first time working with SCSI by the way). So I
> booted the machine and the card BIOS goes through addresses 0 up to 7 not
> finding anything. But the scanner also came with a 3.5" diskette, so I
> started Windows and ran the setup program. I rebooted with the scanner on
> as it said to do but it is saying there is no scanner connected. I have
> checked the cables and am pretty sure they're good. Any ideas? Thanksin
> advance for any help.

Quick intro to SCSI: You can have multiple SCSI busses in a computer
system, and they can each have 8 devices on them (numbered 0 through 7).
Now, as I recall, the host adapter uses address number 0 on the bus,
though I could be wrong on this point; I seem to recall, though, that
effectively you can only have 7 SCSI devices on a bus.

Try increasing the SCSI ID of your scanner to 1 and see what happens. If
that doesn't do anything, I would try a different cable to see if it is
that. Always check the things that are low in cost or free before looking
for larger problems.

Anyway, those are the two things I would check right off--try adjusting
the SCSI ID first, and if that doesn't work, try swapping out the cables
for a pair that are known to be good, if you can borrow some that would be
better. Of course, though, finding those cables today can itself be a bit
of a PITA.

-- Mike

Ernie Werbel

Thank you, Michael, for your assistance. I set the address to 1 as you
suggested and am still having the same problem. I also researched a bit on
the net since my posting and have come across something called a
termination. I don't recall this nor do I see anything that looks like one,
so I am thinking this could be my problem. Is a termination required to run
an SCSI device? There is a female parallel port on back of the scanner next
to the larger, SCSI connector... is that port used for the termination?

"Michael B. Trausch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 03:33:36 +0000, Ernie Werbel wrote:
>
>> I bought an HP ScanJet IIcx SCSI scanner. I installed the PCI card and
>> connected the scanner. I set the address of the scanner to zero with no
>> other devices (this is my first time working with SCSI by the way). So I
>> booted the machine and the card BIOS goes through addresses 0 up to 7 not
>> finding anything. But the scanner also came with a 3.5" diskette, so I
>> started Windows and ran the setup program. I rebooted with the scanner
>> on
>> as it said to do but it is saying there is no scanner connected. I have
>> checked the cables and am pretty sure they're good. Any ideas? Thanksin
>> advance for any help.

> Quick intro to SCSI: You can have multiple SCSI busses in a computer
> system, and they can each have 8 devices on them (numbered 0 through 7).
> Now, as I recall, the host adapter uses address number 0 on the bus,
> though I could be wrong on this point; I seem to recall, though, that
> effectively you can only have 7 SCSI devices on a bus.
>
> Try increasing the SCSI ID of your scanner to 1 and see what happens. If
> that doesn't do anything, I would try a different cable to see if it is
> that. Always check the things that are low in cost or free before looking
> for larger problems.
>
> Anyway, those are the two things I would check right off--try adjusting
> the SCSI ID first, and if that doesn't work, try swapping out the cables
> for a pair that are known to be good, if you can borrow some that would be
> better. Of course, though, finding those cables today can itself be a bit
> of a PITA.
>
> -- Mike

pen

"Ernie Werbel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Thank you, Michael, for your assistance. I set the address to 1 as
> you suggested and am still having the same problem. I also
> researched a bit on the net since my posting and have come across
> something called a termination. I don't recall this nor do I see
> anything that looks like one, so I am thinking this could be my
> problem. Is a termination required to run an SCSI device? There is
> a female parallel port on back of the scanner next to the larger,
> SCSI connector... is that port used for the termination?
>
> "Michael B. Trausch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 03:33:36 +0000, Ernie Werbel wrote:
>>
>>> I bought an HP ScanJet IIcx SCSI scanner. I installed the PCI
>>> card and
>>> connected the scanner. I set the address of the scanner to zero
>>> with no
>>> other devices (this is my first time working with SCSI by the
>>> way). So I
>>> booted the machine and the card BIOS goes through addresses 0 up
>>> to 7 not
>>> finding anything. But the scanner also came with a 3.5" diskette,
>>> so I
>>> started Windows and ran the setup program. I rebooted with the
>>> scanner on
>>> as it said to do but it is saying there is no scanner connected.
>>> I have
>>> checked the cables and am pretty sure they're good. Any ideas?
>>> Thanksin
>>> advance for any help.

>> Quick intro to SCSI: You can have multiple SCSI busses in a
>> computer
>> system, and they can each have 8 devices on them (numbered 0
>> through 7).
>> Now, as I recall, the host adapter uses address number 0 on the
>> bus,
>> though I could be wrong on this point; I seem to recall, though,
>> that
>> effectively you can only have 7 SCSI devices on a bus.
>>
>> Try increasing the SCSI ID of your scanner to 1 and see what
>> happens. If
>> that doesn't do anything, I would try a different cable to see if
>> it is
>> that. Always check the things that are low in cost or free before
>> looking
>> for larger problems.
>>
>> Anyway, those are the two things I would check right off--try
>> adjusting
>> the SCSI ID first, and if that doesn't work, try swapping out the
>> cables
>> for a pair that are known to be good, if you can borrow some that
>> would be
>> better. Of course, though, finding those cables today can itself
>> be a bit
>> of a PITA.
>>
>> -- Mike

Try these HP sites for new drivers instructions etc. This scanner
dates from
windows 3.1 so the parallel connector was probably meant as a
printer pass through when the scanner was driven by a parallel port.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...&product=60107
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...&product=60107

Ernie Werbel

I was digging through another one of the packages and lo and behold, I came
across the manual for the HP ScanJet IIcx! It appears that I have set it up
corectly, but they reference the need for a pass-through terminator on the
parallel port... guess that's what it was after all... hopefully. Hopefully
if I have time this week I can stop by a computer store and see if they have
one. I am told CompUSA is closing a bunch of stores in my area...

Ernie

Ernie Werbel wrote in message ...
>Hi all,
>
>I bought an HP ScanJet IIcx SCSI scanner. I installed the PCI card and
>connected the scanner. I set the address of the scanner to zero with no
>other devices (this is my first time working with SCSI by the way). So I
>booted the machine and the card BIOS goes through addresses 0 up to 7 not
>finding anything. But the scanner also came with a 3.5" diskette, so I
>started Windows and ran the setup program. I rebooted with the scanner on
>as it said to do but it is saying there is no scanner connected. I have
>checked the cables and am pretty sure they're good. Any ideas? Thanksin
>advance for any help.
>
>Ernie

Chris

> Hi all,
>
> I bought an HP ScanJet IIcx SCSI scanner. I installed the PCI card and
> connected the scanner. I set the address of the scanner to zero with no
> other devices (this is my first time working with SCSI by the way). So I
> booted the machine and the card BIOS goes through addresses 0 up to 7 not
> finding anything. But the scanner also came with a 3.5" diskette, so I
> started Windows and ran the setup program. I rebooted with the scanner on
> as it said to do but it is saying there is no scanner connected. I have
> checked the cables and am pretty sure they're good. Any ideas? Thanksin
> advance for any help.
>
> Ernie

Ernie,
I seem to remember that ID 7 is the highest priority ID for a SCSI bus so 7
would be the interface card itself ( not 100% sure of that since it's been
many years the last time I used SCSI). Ether way an ID from 1 to 6 should
work fine.
You mentioned a terminator. That is a device that basically stops the signal
from continuing on forever, it terminates the signal. It is required for
proper operation. Some devices have a terminator built in and others require
you to place one on the last device in the SCSI chain. I don't know if the
HP ScanJet IIcx has one built in.
With out a terminator on or built in to the last device, no devices will be
found, the signal will never bounce back to the card and let it know what
devices are connected to it.
Think of it like the radar gun that cops use. If there is nothing to bounce
the signal off of then the gun will not read any speed. Once an object
(terminator) reflects the signal then the radar gun can judge the speed.
If you do need to get a terminator then make sure it is the correct one for
the device that you have. There are many types of SCSI and a terminator for
Ultra 2, for example, will not work for Wide SCSI and so on. The device
needs to be the same type of SCSI as the card and so too does the
terminator.

PeeCee

news:fmHNh.76296$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ernie Werbel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I bought an HP ScanJet IIcx SCSI scanner. I installed the PCI card and
>> connected the scanner. I set the address of the scanner to zero with no
>> other devices (this is my first time working with SCSI by the way). So I
>> booted the machine and the card BIOS goes through addresses 0 up to 7 not
>> finding anything. But the scanner also came with a 3.5" diskette, so I
>> started Windows and ran the setup program. I rebooted with the scanner
>> on as it said to do but it is saying there is no scanner connected. I
>> have checked the cables and am pretty sure they're good. Any ideas?
>> Thanksin advance for any help.
>>
>> Ernie
>>

> Ernie,
> I seem to remember that ID 7 is the highest priority ID for a SCSI bus so
> 7 would be the interface card itself ( not 100% sure of that since it's
> been many years the last time I used SCSI). Ether way an ID from 1 to 6
> should work fine.
> You mentioned a terminator. That is a device that basically stops the
> signal from continuing on forever, it terminates the signal. It is
> required for proper operation. Some devices have a terminator built in and
> others require you to place one on the last device in the SCSI chain. I
> don't know if the HP ScanJet IIcx has one built in.
> With out a terminator on or built in to the last device, no devices will
> be found, the signal will never bounce back to the card and let it know
> what devices are connected to it.
> Think of it like the radar gun that cops use. If there is nothing to
> bounce the signal off of then the gun will not read any speed. Once an
> object (terminator) reflects the signal then the radar gun can judge the
> speed.
> If you do need to get a terminator then make sure it is the correct one
> for the device that you have. There are many types of SCSI and a
> terminator for Ultra 2, for example, will not work for Wide SCSI and so
> on. The device needs to be the same type of SCSI as the card and so too
> does the terminator.

Er with respect not correct.

A terminator on a SCSI bus does not stop the signal and does not introduce
'bounce' to the signal.
In fact it does just the opposite, so your Radar Gun analogy is just plain
'wrong'.

A Terminator is essentially a resistor connected between each signal line
and ground.

Placing a Terminator at the end of the SCSI bus loads the signal lines to
present a resistive impedance to devices attached to the bus.
An unterminated SCSI bus will reflect the signals back down the line so the
device gets confused by the returned signal bouncing back and mixing with
the original signal.

Have a read through 'Termination Basics" on this page
http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/SCSI..._Tutorial.html for another
explanation.
This Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching has a deeper
explanation of Impedance matching.

Best
Paul.

PeeCee

"Ernie Werbel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I bought an HP ScanJet IIcx SCSI scanner. I installed the PCI card and
> connected the scanner. I set the address of the scanner to zero with no
> other devices (this is my first time working with SCSI by the way). So I
> booted the machine and the card BIOS goes through addresses 0 up to 7 not
> finding anything. But the scanner also came with a 3.5" diskette, so I
> started Windows and ran the setup program. I rebooted with the scanner on
> as it said to do but it is saying there is no scanner connected. I have
> checked the cables and am pretty sure they're good. Any ideas? Thanksin
> advance for any help.
>
> Ernie

Ernie

The IIcx is quite an old scanner (400 x 400 dpi) now so the software
(drivers and apps) will reflect that.
As someone else pointed out Windows "3.1"

This page
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...&product=57847
gives some options on using this and other old HP scanners with XP.

One note of caution from that page is "For scanners that require a SCSI
connection, verify that the SCSI card is supported in Windows XP."
What version of Windows are you using?
Therein I feel lies the crux of your problems i.e. to see the scanner first
your OS must see the SCSI card.
If the SCSI card is the one that came with the scanner have a look on the
card for the chipset maker and go to their website to find drivers for your
version of Windows.
Have a look in Control Panel/System/Device Manager and see if your SCSI card
is listed, and listed with out a cross or exclamation mark beside it.

Best
Paul.

Chris

> Er with respect not correct.
>
> A terminator on a SCSI bus does not stop the signal and does not introduce
> 'bounce' to the signal.
> In fact it does just the opposite, so your Radar Gun analogy is just plain
> 'wrong'.
>
> A Terminator is essentially a resistor connected between each signal line
> and ground.
>
> Placing a Terminator at the end of the SCSI bus loads the signal lines to
> present a resistive impedance to devices attached to the bus.
> An unterminated SCSI bus will reflect the signals back down the line so
> the device gets confused by the returned signal bouncing back and mixing
> with the original signal.
>
> Have a read through 'Termination Basics" on this page
> http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/SCSI..._Tutorial.html for another
> explanation.
> This Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching has a deeper
> explanation of Impedance matching.
>
> Best
> Paul.

Thank you for correcting me on that.
I'm sorry for giving the bad information in the first place, that's how it
was explained to me many years ago.
I take no offence to being corrected when I am wrong.

PeeCee

news:AEmOh.98237$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Er with respect not correct.
>>
>> A terminator on a SCSI bus does not stop the signal and does not
>> introduce 'bounce' to the signal.
>> In fact it does just the opposite, so your Radar Gun analogy is just
>> plain 'wrong'.
>>
>> A Terminator is essentially a resistor connected between each signal line
>> and ground.
>>
>> Placing a Terminator at the end of the SCSI bus loads the signal lines to
>> present a resistive impedance to devices attached to the bus.
>> An unterminated SCSI bus will reflect the signals back down the line so
>> the device gets confused by the returned signal bouncing back and mixing
>> with the original signal.
>>
>> Have a read through 'Termination Basics" on this page
>> http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/SCSI..._Tutorial.html for
>> another explanation.
>> This Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching has a deeper
>> explanation of Impedance matching.
>>
>> Best
>> Paul.
>>

> Thank you for correcting me on that.
> I'm sorry for giving the bad information in the first place, that's how it
> was explained to me many years ago.
> I take no offence to being corrected when I am wrong.

Chris

And no offence intended, pleased to help.

Best
Paul.