Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ! "My documents" folder accidentally overwritten

! "My documents" folder accidentally overwritten

Rock Gibbons

Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
thousands of important files.

Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

WhzzKdd

"Rock Gibbons" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
> of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
> thousands of important files.
>
> Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

Oh, so you didn't backup first? Duh...

First, look in C:\documents and settings and see if there are more than one
user account. If so, you're looking in the NEW "My Documents", and your data
is probably in the OLD "My Documents".

Aardvark

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:

> Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
> of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
> thousands of important files.
>
> Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

Aardvark

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:

> Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
> of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
> thousands of important files.
>
> Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

WhzzKdd

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FbeNh.22422$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:
>
>> Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
>> of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
>> thousands of important files.
>>
>> Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

> D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sentiments exacly <g>

The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting up
fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?

Meat Plow

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:

> Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
> of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
> thousands of important files.
>
> Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

The folder should be there. When you upgraded it just made a new my doc
folder. Look in Documents and Settings and the tree under that.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Aardvark

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:40:53 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FbeNh.22422$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:
>>
>>> Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
>>> of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
>>> thousands of important files.
>>>
>>> Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

>> D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>

> My sentiments exacly <g>
>
> The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting up
> fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?

Meerkat did his best to get the guy doing one step at a time, but the guy
just went off at a tangent every time meerkat was trying to keep him
focussed.

It's the stoopid ****er's own stoopid fault if he HAS lost all that stuff.

One way or another we all pay for lessons learned.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

meerkat

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yqeNh.26171$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:40:53 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
>
>> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:FbeNh.22422$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>

>> My sentiments exacly <g>
>>
>> The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting
>> up
>> fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?

> Meerkat did his best to get the guy doing one step at a time, but the guy
> just went off at a tangent every time meerkat was trying to keep him
> focussed.
>
> It's the stoopid ****er's own stoopid fault if he HAS lost all that stuff.
>
> One way or another we all pay for lessons learned.

Thanks A.
And God knows I tried, but I suspected he was too
bloody inpatient.
bw..

Meat Plow

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:40:53 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FbeNh.22422$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:
>>
>>> Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
>>> of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
>>> thousands of important files.
>>>
>>> Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

>> D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>

> My sentiments exacly <g>
>
> The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting up
> fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?

I was thinking the OP upgraded Home to Pro, maybe not?

COOSN-266-06-25794

Aardvark

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:55:37 +0000, meerkat wrote:

> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yqeNh.26171$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:40:53 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
>>
>>> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:FbeNh.22422$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> My sentiments exacly <g>
>>>
>>> The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting
>>> up
>>> fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?

>> Meerkat did his best to get the guy doing one step at a time, but the guy
>> just went off at a tangent every time meerkat was trying to keep him
>> focussed.
>>
>> It's the stoopid ****er's own stoopid fault if he HAS lost all that stuff.
>>
>> One way or another we all pay for lessons learned.
>>

> Thanks A.
> And God knows I tried, but I suspected he was too
> bloody inpatient.
> bw..

I followed tha whole sorry saga all yesterday and into the night. Real
car-crash stuff. I could see him champing at the bit and going off
tangentially and just knew it was going to end in tears. Well, for him
anyway.

You were like the little boy pushing his finger in the dyke but the deluge
was bound to come sooner or later

Still, it was amusing while it lasted.