Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Safe Mode Question ?

Safe Mode Question ?

Robert11

Hello:

Running XP.

How does one start the PC into Safe Mode, please ?

What key is used ?

Is the PC powered up while holding this key, or at some point afterwards ?

Thanks,
B.

Aardvark

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:17:01 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Running XP.
>
> How does one start the PC into Safe Mode, please ?
>
> What key is used ?
>
> Is the PC powered up while holding this key, or at some point afterwards ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

As you are booting the computer and just after the splash screen (or the
white on black display that counts memory and drives) start hitting the
'F8' key. Shortly you will be taken to another white-on-black screen where
you get options on how you want to start up.

HTH and HAND

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

Anthony Beavis

Try the F8 key
"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
>
> Running XP.
>
> How does one start the PC into Safe Mode, please ?
>
> What key is used ?
>
> Is the PC powered up while holding this key, or at some point afterwards ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

meerkat

"Anthony Beavis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:S_wNh.17258$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try the F8 key
> "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello:
>>
>> Running XP.
>>
>> How does one start the PC into Safe Mode, please ?
>>
>> What key is used ?
>>
>> Is the PC powered up while holding this key, or at some point afterwards
>> ?

You`ll get a choice of how you start up.

Bullseye

From http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

> If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.
> If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
> Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
> Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
> Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
> Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
> When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.
>
> To use the System Configuration Utility method
> Close all open programs.
> Click Start, Run and type MSCONFIG in the box and click OK
> The System Configuration Utility appears, On the BOOT.INI tab, Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option, and then click OK and Restart your computer when prompted.
> The computer restarts in Safe mode.
> Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode.
> When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK to restart your computer

Another option (which is what I like to use) is to use a program from
Superantispyware website called "Bootsafe." It is the easiest method by
far. It comes bundled with Superantispyware, and can be downloaded from:

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode Vic Computer Support 2 09-23-2005 07:39 PM
Re: Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode Vic Computer Support 0 09-23-2005 04:50 PM
Safe mode Vs normal mode Echy Firefox 6 08-27-2005 07:56 PM
adware different in safe mode and normal mode?? Ladydeb Computer Support 0 09-24-2004 09:30 AM

Advertisments