Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless LAN question

Wireless LAN question

nemo

The new PC I've just bought has a Wireless LAN.

The question is this: Is this only intended for allowing a number of
computers to share the same Internet connection or can it be used to allow
them to share other resources and to transfer data from one computer to
another?

If the latter, would a Wireless LAN card work with my old computer running
Windows 98SE. It'd probably be a much quicker and easier way of transferring
data than with one of those little USB flash drive thingeys as someone
suggested.

The new computer is this one, BTW.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sho...ProductID=3802

Excellent and at a good price too.

Here's the old one don't laugh! And look at that price!! Ouch! No ZIP drive
on mine BTW. I bought a Memorex 2x CD burner early on but that's gone kaput
now.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/1373/...-xps-h266.html

I'm told its one and only USB port is compatible with USB2 but will transfer
data at a slower rate.

The new PC is festooned with USB2 and other ports, front and rear!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Nemo

WhzzKdd

"nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4daNh.209407$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...
> The new PC I've just bought has a Wireless LAN.
>
> The question is this: Is this only intended for allowing a number of
> computers to share the same Internet connection or can it be used to allow
> them to share other resources and to transfer data from one computer to
> another?

Sure. Printer sharing, media sharing, data sharing, all that.

> If the latter, would a Wireless LAN card work with my old computer running
> Windows 98SE. It'd probably be a much quicker and easier way of
> transferring
> data than with one of those little USB flash drive thingeys as someone
> suggested.

Check the specs on the card. Yes, there have been some made that run on W9x.
But if you are transferring once and getting rid of the old computer, it
would be cheaper to go with a wired solution. Plus faster. And usually
easier to set up (you don't have to worry about security.)

Or if you are going to be transferring files OFTEN between computers, it
would be faster to go with a wired solution.

Aardvark

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:03:44 +0000, nemo wrote:

> The new PC I've just bought has a Wireless LAN.
>
> The question is this: Is this only intended for allowing a number of
> computers to share the same Internet connection or can it be used to allow
> them to share other resources and to transfer data from one computer to
> another?

Do you mean you bought a PC with a wireless LAN card inside it or you
bought the PC and also bought a wireless router? If the former, you need
the latter. If the latter, the PC needs a LAN card, although the router
can probably run a wired or wireless network.

> If the latter, would a Wireless LAN card work with my old computer running
> Windows 98SE. It'd probably be a much quicker and easier way of transferring
> data than with one of those little USB flash drive thingeys as someone
> suggested.

You could probably insert a network card (either wired or wireless) into
this expensive old relic and have it as part of your home network. No
need for flash drives although they are very handy items to have.

Once all your PC's have network cards installed, all you have to to is run
the network wizard in all the machines to connect them. I wouldn't be
surprised if an XP box recognised the network without the wizard.

> The new computer is this one, BTW.
>
> http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sho...ProductID=3802
>
> Excellent and at a good price too.
>
> Here's the old one don't laugh! And look at that price!! Ouch! No ZIP drive
> on mine BTW. I bought a Memorex 2x CD burner early on but that's gone kaput
> now.
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/1373/...-xps-h266.html
>
> I'm told its one and only USB port is compatible with USB2 but will transfer
> data at a slower rate.
>
> The new PC is festooned with USB2 and other ports, front and rear!
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

The USB port on the old PC is USB 1- much, much slower than USB 2. If you
have two devices connected, one with USB 1 the other with USB 2, data
transfer will be at the USB 1 speed. You will not, of course, be
connecting the PC's by USB but by either ethernet or wirelessly.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

Gaius Baltar

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:03:44 GMT, "nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The new PC I've just bought has a Wireless LAN.

You mean a wireless network card.

>The question is this: Is this only intended for allowing a number of
>computers to share the same Internet connection or can it be used to allow
>them to share other resources and to transfer data from one computer to
>another?

Both

gb

nemo

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KabNh.26134$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:03:44 +0000, nemo wrote:
>
> > The new PC I've just bought has a Wireless LAN.
> >
> > The question is this: Is this only intended for allowing a number of
> > computers to share the same Internet connection or can it be used to

allow
> > them to share other resources and to transfer data from one computer to
> > another?
> >

> Do you mean you bought a PC with a wireless LAN card inside it

Yup. Otherwise there'd be nothing to plug the little rubber duck
aerial/antenna into, and there is. They've even supplied a couple of
circular double-sided sticky pads in case I want to stick teh aerial
somewhere more conveniant! ;o)

There are a couple of Ethernet sockets as well, and tow Firewires and loads
of USB sockets back and front.

> or you
> bought the PC and also bought a wireless router? If the former, you need
> the latter. If the latter, the PC needs a LAN card, although the router
> can probably run a wired or wireless network.

The PC is brand new but I got it from a discount warehouse -type shop and
it's from a cancelled order - hance teh unexpected extra bits and pieces.

> > If the latter, would a Wireless LAN card work with my old computer

running
> > Windows 98SE. It'd probably be a much quicker and easier way of

transferring
> > data than with one of those little USB flash drive thingeys as someone
> > suggested.
> >

> You could probably insert a network card (either wired or wireless) into
> this expensive old relic and have it as part of your home network. No
> need for flash drives although they are very handy items to have.

That's what I hoped. I intend to keep the old PC going until it conks out
and leave it here in the den when I move the new one into the living room to
make best use of its Media Centre facilities. The Cable TV cable enters in
there as well so when I get Broadband it'll save having to run another cable
into here.

I bought a Flash drive anyway - cheap as chips - a Verbatim one advertised
as being OK with Win98. Had to download the driver but that was no problem
and it works fine - if a little slowly. The old PC has USB 1.

> Once all your PC's have network cards installed, all you have to do is run
> the network wizard in all the machines to connect them. I wouldn't be
> surprised if an XP box recognised the network without the wizard.

Looks good. The amount of setting up the new PC is going to take, the more
that it does automatically the better. )

> > The new computer is this one, BTW.
> >
> > http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sho...ProductID=3802
> >
> > Excellent and at a good price too.
> >
> > Here's the old one don't laugh! And look at that price!! Ouch! No ZIP

drive
> > on mine BTW. I bought a Memorex 2x CD burner early on but that's gone

kaput
> > now.
> >
> > http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/1373/...-xps-h266.html
> >
> > I'm told its one and only USB port is compatible with USB2 but will

transfer
> > data at a slower rate.
> >
> > The new PC is festooned with USB2 and other ports, front and rear!
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

> The USB port on the old PC is USB 1- much, much slower than USB 2. If you
> have two devices connected, one with USB 1 the other with USB 2, data
> transfer will be at the USB 1 speed. You will not, of course, be
> connecting the PC's by USB but by either ethernet or wirelessly.

Yes. I discovered that. See above. It's still much faster than the ols now
kaput CD burner was on the old PC - over 40 minutes for a 650MB disk!

Many thanks for your helpful advice.

Nemo

> --
> Registered Linux User 413057.
> Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
> You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

nemo

"Gaius Baltar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:03:44 GMT, "nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The new PC I've just bought has a Wireless LAN.

> You mean a wireless network card.
>
> >The question is this: Is this only intended for allowing a number of
> >computers to share the same Internet connection or can it be used to

allow
> >them to share other resources and to transfer data from one computer to
> >another?

> Both
>
> gb

Good!

Thanks.

nemo

)

nemo

news:N3bNh.10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "nemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4daNh.209407$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...
> > The new PC I've just bought has a Wireless LAN.
> >
> > The question is this: Is this only intended for allowing a number of
> > computers to share the same Internet connection or can it be used to

allow
> > them to share other resources and to transfer data from one computer to
> > another?

> Sure. Printer sharing, media sharing, data sharing, all that.

Great. That's what I hoped.

> > If the latter, would a Wireless LAN card work with my old computer

running
> > Windows 98SE. It'd probably be a much quicker and easier way of
> > transferring
> > data than with one of those little USB flash drive thingeys as someone
> > suggested.

> Check the specs on the card. Yes, there have been some made that run on

W9x.
> But if you are transferring once and getting rid of the old computer,

Nope. I'm keeping it on until it goes impossibly kaput. I like a challenge!

> it
> would be cheaper to go with a wired solution. Plus faster. And usually
> easier to set up (you don't have to worry about security.)
>
> Or if you are going to be transferring files OFTEN between computers, it
> would be faster to go with a wired solution.

See other replies - the new PC's eventually going into another room - hence
wireless.

Good advice. Many thanks.

Nemo