Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > RRAS / NAT / IP Routing Help

Reply
Thread Tools

RRAS / NAT / IP Routing Help

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgSg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
Ok so here's where Im having trouble

My network (at home) is setup like s

gateway=192.168.1.

xp box 192.168.1.x [|] multihomed RRAS server=192.168.1.x (public interface

RRAS Private interface=172.16.x.x [|] Server2 = 172.16.x.

everything on 192.168.1.x is connected to my gateway, which goes to my internet connecto

the 172.16.x.x subnet between the 2 servers is connected via crossover.

everything is fine as far as internet browsing goes. from all PCs I can get to the forums :

I can connect via unc from 172.163.x.x subnet to any pc. but my xp box cannot see the 172.16.x.x subne

If I ping to 172.16.x.x it gets to the 192.168.1.x interface on the RRAS server, but never hits the 172.16.x.x interface (have confirmed this with network monitor).

So far I have checked my routing tables, and everything looks to be in order. bsically 172.16.x.x to 192.168.1.x works fine, but not the other way around. Ip routing an demand dial is enabled in RRAS (as welkl as remote access).

I have also attempted modifying HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\param eters\ key=ipenablerouter to a value of one, but this did not change anything. I have also tried adding a static route to the 172.16.x.x subnet on the RRAS server (on any and all interfaces) but still no luck. also tried disabling remote access just to make sure that this was not interfering. THere are no IPfilters enabled at all on the RRAS server

oh yeah, and also...

with Remote access enabled, if I connect via VPN to the public RRAS interface, I can ping back and forth just fine (Remote connection is assigned an Ip on 172.16.x.x subnet) from that point, I can do whatever I want both ways...

So basically, it appears to me that somewhere between the "public" interface and "private' interface the packets are dropped, but only from the 192.168.1.x > 172.16.x.x direction

Any ideas? Please help! im stuck. :

*more coffee

thanks for any suggestions!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Scott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
is there a connection from the xp box to 172.17?

"Christopher J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok so here's where Im having trouble:
>
> My network (at home) is setup like so
>
> gateway=192.168.1.1
>
> xp box 192.168.1.x [|] multihomed RRAS server=192.168.1.x (public

interface)
>
> RRAS Private interface=172.16.x.x [|] Server2 = 172.16.x.x
>
> everything on 192.168.1.x is connected to my gateway, which goes to my

internet connecton
>
> the 172.16.x.x subnet between the 2 servers is connected via crossover.
>
> everything is fine as far as internet browsing goes. from all PCs I can

get to the forums
>
> I can connect via unc from 172.163.x.x subnet to any pc. but my xp box

cannot see the 172.16.x.x subnet
>
> If I ping to 172.16.x.x it gets to the 192.168.1.x interface on the RRAS

server, but never hits the 172.16.x.x interface (have confirmed this with
network monitor).
>
> So far I have checked my routing tables, and everything looks to be in

order. bsically 172.16.x.x to 192.168.1.x works fine, but not the other way
around. Ip routing an demand dial is enabled in RRAS (as welkl as remote
access).
>
> I have also attempted modifying

HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\param eters\ key=ipenablerouter
to a value of one, but this did not change anything. I have also tried
adding a static route to the 172.16.x.x subnet on the RRAS server (on any
and all interfaces) but still no luck. also tried disabling remote access
just to make sure that this was not interfering. THere are no IPfilters
enabled at all on the RRAS server.
>
> oh yeah, and also...
>
> with Remote access enabled, if I connect via VPN to the public RRAS

interface, I can ping back and forth just fine (Remote connection is
assigned an Ip on 172.16.x.x subnet) from that point, I can do whatever I
want both ways...
>
> So basically, it appears to me that somewhere between the "public"

interface and "private' interface the packets are dropped, but only from the
192.168.1.x > 172.16.x.x direction.
>
> Any ideas? Please help! im stuck.
>
> *more coffee*
>
> thanks for any suggestions!



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgSg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-21-2004
First off, thanks for the reply! :

No, there is no direct connection from the Xp box to 172.16.x.x subnet.

I got to fiddling with it again today, and if I remove NAT, I can ping across just fine, but as soon as I reinstall NAT, everything gets dropped at the public interface. Is this one of those "by design" issues. Can I not initiate the ping (or other traffic) from outside the public interface to the private subnet? I know that you can create special port mapopings (IE 21 goes to internal host x.x.x.x) in order to direct certain types of traffic addressed to the public interface to a specific private host, but if I have the private address defined in the incoming packet, and the server has a valid route to that subnet, shoudn't it route the packet? Am I wrong in assuming this?
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgSg==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2004
Found a workaround by creating a resevation in the address pool for my private network host. Cant connect directly to the private address from the pubilc network, but I can connect via the public address I used for the reservation, which is mapped to the private host.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jesse PH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2004
nat uses private ip.
i just dont know if you can nat on both private ip.
check routing tables. test connectivity.

Jesse PH

"Christopher J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First off, thanks for the reply!
>
> No, there is no direct connection from the Xp box to 172.16.x.x subnet.
>
> I got to fiddling with it again today, and if I remove NAT, I can ping

across just fine, but as soon as I reinstall NAT, everything gets dropped at
the public interface. Is this one of those "by design" issues. Can I not
initiate the ping (or other traffic) from outside the public interface to
the private subnet? I know that you can create special port mapopings (IE 21
goes to internal host x.x.x.x) in order to direct certain types of traffic
addressed to the public interface to a specific private host, but if I have
the private address defined in the incoming packet, and the server has a
valid route to that subnet, shoudn't it route the packet? Am I wrong in
assuming this?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jesse PH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2004
ip mappings. you can map public ip to private ip.
access your private ip thru the mapped public ip.

Jesse PH

"Christopher J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Found a workaround by creating a resevation in the address pool for my

private network host. Cant connect directly to the private address from the
pubilc network, but I can connect via the public address I used for the
reservation, which is mapped to the private host.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
use certificates on RRAS server Miha Microsoft Certification 4 05-31-2005 12:12 PM
RRAS problem - may be wireless network related? Moody Marco Wireless Networking 0 03-20-2005 11:10 PM
Routing to public IP of NAT address from internal NAT address Andrew Albert Cisco 1 02-08-2005 07:05 PM
ISDN DDR -> RRAS Maciej_R Cisco 2 09-28-2004 06:47 PM
ESP problem with MS RRAS to Cisco 3000 VPN passing through PIX 515E Firewall. Sean McGrath Cisco 0 12-29-2003 03:23 PM



Advertisments