Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > USB AC power Adapter? anyone ever heard of this?

USB AC power Adapter? anyone ever heard of this?

G-Man

I need to control an AC Outlet from a server. I have a server I can remote
to, that has an external Tape Library that sometimes needs a power-down/up
to clear issues. I would like to remote to the server and powere this unit
off and on.

Of course money is a factor. Has anyone ever heard of this? I know there
are larger PDU's that mount in a rack that have this capability, but I need
to do this on a much smaller scale.

Thanks.

G-Man

Paul

G-Man wrote:
> I need to control an AC Outlet from a server. I have a server I can remote
> to, that has an external Tape Library that sometimes needs a power-down/up
> to clear issues. I would like to remote to the server and powere this unit
> off and on.
>
> Of course money is a factor. Has anyone ever heard of this? I know there
> are larger PDU's that mount in a rack that have this capability, but I need
> to do this on a much smaller scale.
>
> Thanks.
>
> G-Man

I'm having trouble finding just the right terminology to use, to find a
direct switching product. I'm not really crazy about the following,
for an application where you'd have to drive to a site, to correct
any problems.

This is a follow-on to X-10 protocol, which was popular in years past.
Basically, X-10 sent codes over the A.C. wiring. Appliance or lighting
modules, each with an assigned address, picked up the commands, and turned
appliances or lights on and off. The appliance version uses a relay, for
handling inductive loads. The lighting version uses a triac and is intended
for incandescent bulbs or other purely resistive loads. To be safe, an
appliance module is probably the best choice. Some computing equipment
has quite an input surge.

http://www.insteon.net/%5Cfaq.html
http://www.smarthome.com/whatisinsteon.html

This module, for $70, connects via USB to your computer. Using the
provided software, you send commands to the white box. The white box
plugs into an adjacent A.C. outlet. The outlet on the face of this
module, is a "pass-thru" outlet, and is there so as to not restrict
the outlet for normal A.C. usage. This outlet is "always on" and is
not switched. The white box is a "controller" for the network and
not a power switching device itself.

http://www.smarthome.com/2414u.html

This receiver module provides the actual appliance control. The
switched outlet is on the bottom of the unit. A "pass-thru" outlet
is on the face of the unit.

http://www.smarthome.com/2456s3.html

You'd think there would be a ton of small inventors, with RS-232
controlled AC outlets for sale, but I cannot find them.

Paul

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 24 Mar, 03:16, "G-Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I need to control an AC Outlet from a server. I have a server I can remote
> to, that has an external Tape Library that sometimes needs a power-down/up
> to clear issues. I would like to remote to the server and powere this unit
> off and on.
>
> Of course money is a factor. Has anyone ever heard of this? I know there
> are larger PDU's that mount in a rack that have this capability, but I need
> to do this on a much smaller scale.
>
> Thanks.
>
> G-Man

not quite what you're looking for,

- there is the Technotrend phoneswitch. Can be used to turn devices -
computers e.t.c. on remotely. I guess with a telephone call. It's a
plug that plugs into the mains and has another cable that connects to
a telephone socket.

http://www.technotrend.co.uk/pages/homepage.html

Another thing that isn't quite what you're looking for is
- a MBRD feature called Wake On LAN. I've never used it. But
apparently you connect the comp to a network - the internet is useful.
And send it a packet with certain data in , "a magic packet" and it
turns on.

- You could power it off with the shutdown command. The systernals
people have some software psexec perhaps, that lets you execute
commands on other comps on a network. Or you could do a sort of GUI
Telnet to it (VNC,Radmin,Remote Desktop), and run the shutdown
command.
--
Mostly when people say USB power adaptors, they probably mean an ACDC
adaptor with a USB socket. For powering a pocket pc or GPS unit that