Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > cant fron new HD

cant fron new HD

Tony Pacc

I just added a new HD,I cloned it from my old HD,XP mce ,I did not remove
the old HD,so when I go into BIOS setup to change the boot order and put new
drive first it doesn't boot up it just hangs at"windows XP",so I have to go
back into setup and change it back old drive first.I used Acronis to clone
it,where did I go wrong,if look at new drive in my computer it looks
identical to the old drive.This is on a Dell E521,Thanks

lkboop

Tony Pacc wrote:
> I just added a new HD,I cloned it from my old HD,XP mce ,I did not remove
> the old HD,so when I go into BIOS setup to change the boot order and put new
> drive first it doesn't boot up it just hangs at"windows XP",so I have to go
> back into setup and change it back old drive first.I used Acronis to clone
> it,where did I go wrong,if look at new drive in my computer it looks
> identical to the old drive.This is on a Dell E521,Thanks

If I understand what you're saying, you have two active partitions i.e.
one on your old drive and one on the clone. You can not do this. You
need to PHYSICALLY disconnect one drive or the other and your computer
will work just fine, provided all the files including the hidden files
were copy correctly.

Aardvark

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:32:06 -0500, Tony Pacc wrote:

> I just added a new HD,I cloned it from my old HD,XP mce ,I did not remove
> the old HD,so when I go into BIOS setup to change the boot order and put new
> drive first it doesn't boot up it just hangs at"windows XP",so I have to go
> back into setup and change it back old drive first.I used Acronis to clone
> it,where did I go wrong,if look at new drive in my computer it looks
> identical to the old drive.This is on a Dell E521,Thanks

Check the jumpers on the HD's. If they're on the same IDE channel one must
be set as master and the other as slave.

HTH and HAND

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

ace90210

On Mar 24, 1:32 am, "Tony Pacc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just added a new HD,I cloned it from my old HD,XP mce ,I did not remove
> the old HD,so when I go into BIOS setup to change the boot order and put new
> drive first it doesn't boot up it just hangs at"windows XP",so I have to go
> back into setup and change it back old drive first.I used Acronis to clone
> it,where did I go wrong,if look at new drive in my computer it looks
> identical to the old drive.This is on a Dell E521,Thanks

i dont know about the software you used so this could not apply but a
commen problem with copying/cloning a hard drive is the MBR (master
boot record) isnt copied with it.

There are a few ways around it i think there is a dos coomand that can
copy it(posibly) but i dont know that one and the way that will work
is to disconnect you old hd and insert and XP cd and boot into it when
it detects a existing xp (which hopefully it will) select repair
existing XP and it will repair the xp AND create a new MBR for it.

the second and probably best way to fix your problem is set it up with
only your old hd boot into windows. click start then run and enter "C:
\boot.ini" replace c with ur windows hard drive letter if it is not C.
in there u will see something like

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

assuming they are set up in normal way and same type of hd (ie both
IDE) then just change it to this

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

all i have done is copy the last line again. and added 1 to the rdisk
number and added 1 to the r disk of default=...
this will add a second windows to the boot.

now connect you new hd(after shuting down) reboot and set ur boot hard
drive in BIOS to your old hd and save settings.
when you load up you will see windows xp professional written twice
press enter as default will be bottom(new hd) and will luck it will
boot. if not play about with the numbers oin the boot INI but DONT
change the first xp just encase you lose it

Star@*.*

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:32:06 -0500, "Tony Pacc" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I just added a new HD,I cloned it from my old HD,XP mce ,I did not remove
>the old HD,so when I go into BIOS setup to change the boot order and put new
>drive first it doesn't boot up it just hangs at"windows XP",so I have to go
>back into setup and change it back old drive first.I used Acronis to clone
>it,where did I go wrong,if look at new drive in my computer it looks
>identical to the old drive.This is on a Dell E521,Thanks

Last time I used TI to clone a HDD I read the instructions that said
to remove the old HDD before rebooting. I did and it worked. Another
time I didn't and it didn't.
HTH