Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > "ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site" or "AJAX Control Toolkit Web Site"?

"ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site" or "AJAX Control Toolkit Web Site"?

mark4asp

Which should I use:
1. "ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site" or
2. "AJAX Control Toolkit Web Site"?

In the first, controls from the control toolkit start as:
<cc1:SomeControl></cc1>

In the 2nd, those controls are: <ajaxToolkit:SomeControl></
ajaxToolkit>

As soon as I have entered the first control from the AJAX toolkit to a
type 1 website, I notice that the code in the /bin folder is bloated.

Am I right in thinking that the main (only?) advantage of type 1 is
that one doesn't need to use the Ajax toolkit (and may save oneself
the trouble of (automatically) adding the supporting dlls to one's
site?

I am inclined to use type 2 because:
a) I'll probably always use at least one control from the toolkit,
b) I think <ajaxToolkit:SomeControl></ajaxToolkit> is more meaningful
than <cc1:SomeControl></cc1>,
c) I have gigabytes of spare room on my server anyway.

Type 2 contains everything that Type 1 contains plus a bunch of extra
controls and stuff.
So if you want to use some of the extra the extra controls (and it sounds
like you do) then choose Type 2.
If you're concerned about bloat (which it sounds like you're not) and you
don't need the extra controls then choose Type 1.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...