Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: Help in understanding Exchange

Re: Help in understanding Exchange

MSGuru

Advantage I beleive would be cost , you could save quite a bit of money
doing it yoursel , specially if your firm has a full time IT pro.

Another advantage could be more control on your exchange envirment , and
your server , mailbox sizes etc.

Performance also would be much better I beleive having a server inhouse.

And also for you , you would learn a very important technology , which would
be useful for you in the future rather than just talking to some tech guy at
quickbooks.

But ofcourse its a very missiin critical service and you should attempt it
only if you know it well.

-Z

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I feel stupid asking this but oh well, I need to understand it.
>
> I know that my outlook clients search mail.(companynamehere).com, which is

hosted by Quickbooks and we pay a certain amount per month for it.

> I don't know much of anything about Exchange, but the new server I got is

a Windows 2003 Server SBS, and to my understanding I have the software to
install Exchange as well.

> What are the advantages of doing so, and can I, with exchange, host my own

email instead of paying Quickbooks to do it?

Larry Samuels

Another downside--if you have to ask this question here you _are_ a spam
relay service waiting to happen.
My advice would be to set up a small test network and learn Exchange BEFORE
rolling it out on your main network.

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm
"MSGuru" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Advantage I beleive would be cost , you could save quite a bit of money
> doing it yoursel , specially if your firm has a full time IT pro.
>
> Another advantage could be more control on your exchange envirment , and
> your server , mailbox sizes etc.
>
> Performance also would be much better I beleive having a server inhouse.
>
> And also for you , you would learn a very important technology , which
> would
> be useful for you in the future rather than just talking to some tech guy
> at
> quickbooks.
>
> But ofcourse its a very missiin critical service and you should attempt it
> only if you know it well.
>
> -Z
>

> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I feel stupid asking this but oh well, I need to understand it.
>>
>> I know that my outlook clients search mail.(companynamehere).com, which
>> is

> hosted by Quickbooks and we pay a certain amount per month for it.
>>
>> I don't know much of anything about Exchange, but the new server I got is

> a Windows 2003 Server SBS, and to my understanding I have the software to
> install Exchange as well.
>>
>> What are the advantages of doing so, and can I, with exchange, host my
>> own

> email instead of paying Quickbooks to do it?

>Another downside--if you have to ask this question here you _are_ a spam
>relay service waiting to happen.

Excellent point. Exchange server, as with all ms products, works
straight out of the box, which can become a security nightmare.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3