Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > C++ Source Code Viewer

C++ Source Code Viewer

kenton.wilson@gmail.com

Hi,

I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
etcetera.

TIA,
Kent

red floyd

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
> for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
> allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
> within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
> something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
> etcetera.

Look up "cscope". It's curses based, but I've used it for years.

Marcus Kwok

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
> for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
> allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
> within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
> something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
> etcetera.

I've not personally used it, but Doxygen might help: I hear it can
produce call graphs and such.

--
Marcus Kwok
Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply

kenton.wilson@gmail.com

On Mar 23, 10:21 am, red floyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
> > for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
> > allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
> > within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
> > something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
> > etcetera.

> Look up "cscope". It's curses based, but I've used it for years.

I used to use cscope for my 'C' development but I don't think it can
handle C++ (unless cscope has been changed, I'll check).

Kent

Fei Liu

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
> for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
> allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
> within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
> something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
> etcetera.
>
> TIA,
> Kent

What's wrong with vi? Nothing a little tag magic cann't resolve...

Michael Ekstrand

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 08:24:36 -0700, kenton.wilson wrote:
> I used to use cscope for my 'C' development but I don't think it can
> handle C++ (unless cscope has been changed, I'll check).

cscope can't really handle C++, but it can parse enough info out
of it to be useful in my experience.

You might also look at Anjuta, KDevelop, or the Eclipse CDT.

- Michael

aiooua

try http://sourcenav.sourceforge.net
imho, a very handy tool. especially for oo-languages.

thanks,

On Mar 23, 8:18 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
> for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
> allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
> within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
> something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
> etcetera.
>
> TIA,
> Kent

Jorgen Grahn

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:24:03 +0000 (UTC), Marcus Kwok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I was wondering if someone might know of any C++ source code viewers
>> for linux / unix that are also free. I just want something that will
>> allow me to explore the class, function, and variable relationships
>> within my source. I don't really want an "army swiss knife" IDE, i.e.
>> something that has a builtin editor, scm interface, build system,
>> etcetera.

> I've not personally used it, but Doxygen might help: I hear it can
> produce call graphs and such.

It can, where "such" is class diagrams and #include dependencies. And
I am 99% sure you can have it include all source code, pretty-printed
and all. Use a recent version.

But my first tool of choice would be the same I use when writing code:
emacs and a good TAGS file. I don't really see the use case for a
viewer which isn't also an editor (except for the kind of things that
Doxygen does).

/Jorgen

\X/ snipabacken.dyndns.org> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!