Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Router for 64 only allows 4 connections

Router for 64 only allows 4 connections

=?Utf-8?B?ZmVtYWxlZW5naW5lZXI=?=

We have a wireless router in the house where there are two wireless laptops,
two wireless desktops and one desktop connected through LAN. The laptops are
suffering from the 'limited or no connectivity' problems mentioned in other
posts but the two wireless pcs are having no problems at all.

One thing that keeps happening though is that when the laptop is plugged
into the router to try to directly acquire an IP address, the router seems to
be assigning an address that was already in use by someone else. We have
only succeeded to have four people on the network at one time; the fifth is
always being kicked off.
I'm not so hot on this topic - does anybody have any suggestions as to what
might be causing this?
Thanks

--
Vivir con miedo es como vivir a medias - except when the damn thing doesn't
work!

Pepperoni

Yeah.... what router are you using? I ask because someone will be able to
tell you exactly where to make the change.

It sounds like you are set up with too narrow a range of IPs to be
distributed. Perhaps the start and end IPs are xxx.10 and xxx.14, for
example.

On my D-Link, the page looks like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/ipsetting.jpg

You can see I only have allowed 11 DHCP distributions possible. Check your
setup for a similar setting and widen to allowable IP range to allow more
machines.

OTOH.... there may be a different problem involved. This is my best quick
guess.

Pepperoni
<<<<don't worry, I've changed my IP settings..... neener, neener>>>

"femaleengineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have a wireless router in the house where there are two wireless

laptops,
> two wireless desktops and one desktop connected through LAN. The laptops

are
> suffering from the 'limited or no connectivity' problems mentioned in

other
> posts but the two wireless pcs are having no problems at all.
>
> One thing that keeps happening though is that when the laptop is plugged
> into the router to try to directly acquire an IP address, the router seems

> be assigning an address that was already in use by someone else. We have
> only succeeded to have four people on the network at one time; the fifth

is
> always being kicked off.
> I'm not so hot on this topic - does anybody have any suggestions as to

what
> might be causing this?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Vivir con miedo es como vivir a medias - except when the damn thing

doesn't
> work!

=?Utf-8?B?ZmVtYWxlZW5naW5lZXI=?=

Hello Pepperoni,
Thanks for that. We have a Belkin Modem/Router wireless 802.11g @ 54Mbps
and our IP pool goes from .2 to .100 so no problems there that I can see.
Strangely enough, the router doesn't like assigning the number 6 out to
anyone. Just a small aside.
Any ideas?
Thanks