Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Troubleshooting ICS - WIN2KPro & XP Pro & Cable Modem

Troubleshooting ICS - WIN2KPro & XP Pro & Cable Modem

Joshua

I'm trying to share my cable modem connection on my
desktop with my new laptop. The desktop is issuing the
labtop and IP but I can't ping the desktop or do anything
else usefull.

I have:

1) Desktop PC in home office with Linksys 802.11 A/B/G card
2) Dell laptop with Dell Truemobile 802.11 A/B/G card
3) Cox cable modem connection that has worked fine for
months and still does.

I can see that the "Ad-hoc" network is established.
They've negotiated .B, Channel 11, with "excellent signal".

I know there is some form of communication going on
because I can release and renew the IP on the laptop. (It
gives out 192.168.0.100/24. The desktop was set to
192.168.0.1/24 when I checked the box to share the cable
connection (Network Properties, Ethernet Adapter, Sharing)

Anyway, I admit to over-reaching the bounds of my
experience but don't we all sometimes. If anyone could
offer some more troubleshooting steps I appericiate it.

Joshua

Joshua

As with most things KISS applies. I hadn't disabled (or
at least allowed this) through my software firewall.
Du=ough!!
Works like a charm now. Yiipee!