Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Third bag on planes

Third bag on planes

Cynicor

I was stopped at the security gate at SFO this morning and told that I
had to check my camera bag. I explained that they were mistaken, because
TSA guidelines permit a third carry-on (at airline's discretion) if it
has photographic equipment. The screener had never heard of this. He
sent me back to the American Airlines ticket window, where the clerk
argued with me about it. (She said "Yes, you can have a photo bag as
your second piece of checked luggage!" She also told me to print out the
"alleged" rule and show it to her.)

Neither ticket clerk nor TSA screener knew the proper regulation in this
instance. I have not had problems with this in the past, but in case you
have plans to travel with a third bag of photo equipment, you might do
well to print out this page before departing:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1248.shtm

Just D

That's a very good advice, thanks a lot!

Just D.

"Cynicor"
> Neither ticket clerk nor TSA screener knew the proper regulation in this
> instance. I have not had problems with this in the past, but in case you
> have plans to travel with a third bag of photo equipment, you might do
> well to print out this page before departing:
>
> http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1248.shtm

Jim Townsend

Cynicor wrote:

> I was stopped at the security gate at SFO this morning and told that I
> had to check my camera bag. I explained that they were mistaken, because
> TSA guidelines permit a third carry-on (at airline's discretion) if it
> has photographic equipment. The screener had never heard of this. He
> sent me back to the American Airlines ticket window, where the clerk
> argued with me about it. (She said "Yes, you can have a photo bag as
> your second piece of checked luggage!" She also told me to print out the
> "alleged" rule and show it to her.)
>
> Neither ticket clerk nor TSA screener knew the proper regulation in this
> instance. I have not had problems with this in the past, but in case you
> have plans to travel with a third bag of photo equipment, you might do
> well to print out this page before departing:
>
> http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1248.shtm

Most US Airlines only allow ONE carry on bag and another small item such as
a purse, laptop, briefcase, or camera bag. They can't go over the TSA
rules and allow more than 3 bags, but they CAN go under and allow less.

I always check with the airline I'm flying on before I pack. I think
all of them have web sites now that explain their particular luggage rules.

The link below isn't an official site, but it gives a good idea at a
glance what most airlines permit.

http://www.luggageonline.com/about_airlines.cfm

woops

thankfully they are not enforcing the 22x14x9 rule

Bucky

On Mar 22, 4:14 pm, Cynicor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I explained that they were mistaken, because
> TSA guidelines permit a third carry-on (at airline's discretion) if it
> has photographic equipment.

wow, I never knew that either. although it doesn't make any sense to
me. If an airline has a 1 carry-on and 1 personal bag policy, why
would they allow a 3rd camera bag? Especially if it's a large SLR bag?
I think it would make the most sense to consider the camera bag as the
personal bag, it my opinion.

Cynicor

Jim Townsend wrote:
> Cynicor wrote:
>

>> http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1248.shtm

> Most US Airlines only allow ONE carry on bag and another small item such as
> a purse, laptop, briefcase, or camera bag. They can't go over the TSA
> rules and allow more than 3 bags, but they CAN go under and allow less.

I know it's a decision per airline, but it was the TSA security checker
who stopped me and who was unaware of this regulation in the first
place. And the desk clerk was also unaware of the guideline.

I figure it's better to have a printed record of the information as a
basis for "discussion."

Ken Lucke

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Bucky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 4:14 pm, Cynicor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I explained that they were mistaken, because
> > TSA guidelines permit a third carry-on (at airline's discretion) if it
> > has photographic equipment.

> wow, I never knew that either. although it doesn't make any sense to
> me. If an airline has a 1 carry-on and 1 personal bag policy, why
> would they allow a 3rd camera bag? Especially if it's a large SLR bag?
> I think it would make the most sense to consider the camera bag as the
> personal bag, it my opinion.

In all probability, it's partially because they are aware that camera
bags (as well as laptop cases, etc.) are one of the top priorities,
theft-wise.

TIP: Checked camera equipment bags should always be further stuffed
inside of a beat-up old army-green duffle bag (or the equivalent) or
such, to help disquise them from would-be thieves. Sending a LowePro
bag through, heavy with equipment, is like asking for someone to help
relieve you of the necessity of carrying it to your hotel at the
destination end. Using a bright yellow StormCase screams "Here I Am!!!
$$$$ Inside!!!! Rip Me Off!!!", as does marking anything "Caution,
Fragile" or similar warnings.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Matt Ion

Jim Townsend wrote:

> I always check with the airline I'm flying on before I pack. I think
> all of them have web sites now that explain their particular luggage rules.

Yeah, doesn't help if the airport personnel don't read the websites.

Cynicor

Ken Lucke wrote:

> TIP: Checked camera equipment bags should always be further stuffed
> inside of a beat-up old army-green duffle bag (or the equivalent) or
> such, to help disquise them from would-be thieves. Sending a LowePro
> bag through, heavy with equipment, is like asking for someone to help
> relieve you of the necessity of carrying it to your hotel at the
> destination end. Using a bright yellow StormCase screams "Here I Am!!!
> $$$$ Inside!!!! Rip Me Off!!!", as does marking anything "Caution,
> Fragile" or similar warnings.

I asked the ticket agent how I could mark my bag as fragile, and she
said that I could take a bag tag and write FRAGILE on it. I said "No
thanks, that'll just be a signal for one of your employees to go through
it and steal stuff," and she got indignant. Geez, lighten up Hattie!

Paul J Gans

Cynicor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ken Lucke wrote:
>>
>> TIP: Checked camera equipment bags should always be further stuffed
>> inside of a beat-up old army-green duffle bag (or the equivalent) or
>> such, to help disquise them from would-be thieves. Sending a LowePro
>> bag through, heavy with equipment, is like asking for someone to help
>> relieve you of the necessity of carrying it to your hotel at the
>> destination end. Using a bright yellow StormCase screams "Here I Am!!!
>> $$$$ Inside!!!! Rip Me Off!!!", as does marking anything "Caution,
>> Fragile" or similar warnings.

>I asked the ticket agent how I could mark my bag as fragile, and she
>said that I could take a bag tag and write FRAGILE on it. I said "No
>thanks, that'll just be a signal for one of your employees to go through
>it and steal stuff," and she got indignant. Geez, lighten up Hattie!

It makes one wonder why we go through all this pointless stuff.
If things can be stolen *from* your checked luggage, things
can be put *into* your checked luggage.

Makes the entire exercise rather pointless, doesn't it?

--
--- Paul J. Gans