Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Third bag on planes

Third bag on planes

C J Campbell

On 2007-03-22 16:14:06 -0700, Cynicor <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I was stopped at the security gate at SFO this morning and told that I
> had to check my camera bag. I explained that they were mistaken,
> because TSA guidelines permit a third carry-on (at airline's
> discretion) if it has photographic equipment. The screener had never
> heard of this. He sent me back to the American Airlines ticket window,
> where the clerk argued with me about it. (She said "Yes, you can have a
> photo bag as your second piece of checked luggage!" She also told me to
> print out the "alleged" rule and show it to her.)
>
> Neither ticket clerk nor TSA screener knew the proper regulation in
> this instance. I have not had problems with this in the past, but in
> case you have plans to travel with a third bag of photo equipment, you
> might do well to print out this page before departing:
>
> http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1248.shtm

The regulation does not require airlines to take your third bag; it
allows them to do it if they want to. Most airlines will not allow a
third bag and most passengers resent guys who climb onto the plane and
hog all the carry-on space.

Not only that, but airlines are increasing the restrictions on luggage
in an attempt to save on fuel costs. You might still be able to get a
cheap ticket, but some time in the future you may only be allowed one
checked bag and one carry-on. Anything more than that will incur an
excess luggage charge.

You might also try being a little less abusive of airline personnel in
the future. Everybody wants to fly on a dirt cheap fare, but they
expect first class service and they want to take everything but the
kitchen sink with them. Forget it. Learn the rules for your airline,
abide by them, or be prepared to pay extra. Hauling all your junk
around costs the airline a lot of money. Other passengers don't want to
pay for your camera equipment.

Calling airline employees a bunch of thieves is rude. You don't just
walk up to people and accuse them of being thieves and then expect them
to grovel before you. Amazing, really, that they let you fly at all
with that huge chip on your shoulder.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

David J Taylor

Tony M wrote:
[]
> Try travelling from a UK airport.
>
> One carry-on, no exceptions.
>
> Ladies, your purse IS your carry-on
>
> Tony M

Yes, indeed you are right, but why is travelling /to/ the UK different to
travelling /from/ the UK?

David

Cynicor

C J Campbell wrote:
> Calling airline employees a bunch of thieves is rude. You don't just
> walk up to people and accuse them of being thieves and then expect them
> to grovel before you. Amazing, really, that they let you fly at all with
> that huge chip on your shoulder.

I am never abusive. I was correct and firm, but I was not abusive in any
way, and I complied with all requests immediately.

Dave

On Mar 22, 4:14 pm, Cynicor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was stopped at the security gate at SFO this morning and told that I
> had to check my camera bag. I explained that they were mistaken, because
> TSA guidelines permit a third carry-on (at airline's discretion) if it
> has photographic equipment. The screener had never heard of this. He
> sent me back to the American Airlines ticket window, where the clerk
> argued with me about it. (She said "Yes, you can have a photo bag as
> your second piece of checked luggage!" She also told me to print out the
> "alleged" rule and show it to her.)
>
> Neither ticket clerk nor TSA screener knew the proper regulation in this
> instance. I have not had problems with this in the past, but in case you
> have plans to travel with a third bag of photo equipment, you might do
> well to print out this page before departing:
>
> http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1248.shtm

Feel lucky that you can even carry two bags as carry-on. From Gatwick
now, you can carry ONE BAG, period, as carry-on. One lady's purse,
for example, counts as that one bag.

Phil Stripling

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, change username to rnclark
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you need extra space,
> carry a photo vest and put some stuff in it--they don't
> consider what you are wearing a carry-on.

Well, I _wear_ a photo vest, I don't carry it, but that has solved
several problems for me. My wife and I carry GMRS radios when we're at
the airport to fly so that we can wander around separately while one
waits near the boarding area to hear when the inevitably late flight is
eventually called and for other communications. I carry reading
glasses, sunglasses, a small flashlight, a small micro multi-tool,
coins, wrist watch and other metal stuff. It all goes in the vest and
then into a tray for x-ray. It's all covered, so I worry less about
someone stealing the radios and any other allowable gear. And I put the
vest in the tray over her purse and anything else we are concerned
about. We haven't had any problems getting stuff through x-ray.

I generally don't have overflow from the two carry-ons, but the photo
vest would certainly let me get a shirt and change of underwear on
board if I ran out of room in my roll aboard.

I read in one post that someone puts all their clothes in checked
baggage. I never to that. I always carry a few days' worth of
underwear, a shirt and slacks/shorts in my carry on. I've had checked
bags delayed too many times to assume I'll get my stuff when I arrive
at the airport. Our last trip was to Martinique on Delta's once-a-week
on Saturday flight from Atlanta. We had three checked bags, and not one
made it. There were 2 or 3 other couples whose checked bags didn't make
it. I called Delta and was told our bags were still in Atlanta, and
they'd be on the next flight down. I asked when the next flight was,
and the agent said, "Next Saturday - that's not a problem, is it?"

Bucky

On Mar 24, 6:59 am, Robert Haar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My personal expereince is that most domestic flights don't have enough space
> for carry-on luggage today.

well, that used to be the case, until the liquid limitation a few
months ago (where you can only carry a 1 qt ziploc bag worth of
liquids, with each container max 4 oz). After that, most travelers
were forced to check in bags. It's pretty hard for the average
traveler to avoid over 4 oz liquid (toothpaste, lotion, contacts
solution, etc.). Of couse, if you're a frequent business traveler, you
could easily buy < 4 oz bottles of those items, but most regular
travelers are not going to do that.

however, I have to say that this has been a blessing in disguise,
because now there is plenty of overhead bin space on domestic flights.

Ron Hunter

Cynicor wrote:
> Jim Townsend wrote:
>> Cynicor wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1248.shtm

>> Most US Airlines only allow ONE carry on bag and another small item
>> such as
>> a purse, laptop, briefcase, or camera bag. They can't go over the TSA
>> rules and allow more than 3 bags, but they CAN go under and allow less.

> I know it's a decision per airline, but it was the TSA security checker
> who stopped me and who was unaware of this regulation in the first
> place. And the desk clerk was also unaware of the guideline.
>
> I figure it's better to have a printed record of the information as a
> basis for "discussion."

So you can get in through the security checkpoint, but not on the plane.
Now there is a useful thing to know.... Frankly, I have never had any
comment on the number of bags I carried through security....

Ron Hunter

Cynicor wrote:
> Ken Lucke wrote:
>>
>> TIP: Checked camera equipment bags should always be further stuffed
>> inside of a beat-up old army-green duffle bag (or the equivalent) or
>> such, to help disquise them from would-be thieves. Sending a LowePro
>> bag through, heavy with equipment, is like asking for someone to help
>> relieve you of the necessity of carrying it to your hotel at the
>> destination end. Using a bright yellow StormCase screams "Here I
>> Am!!! $$$$ Inside!!!! Rip Me Off!!!", as does marking anything "Caution,
>> Fragile" or similar warnings.

> I asked the ticket agent how I could mark my bag as fragile, and she
> said that I could take a bag tag and write FRAGILE on it. I said "No
> thanks, that'll just be a signal for one of your employees to go through
> it and steal stuff," and she got indignant. Geez, lighten up Hattie!

Maybe she didn't want her 'cut' to be decreased. Airlines need to STOP
this theft before the federal government becomes even MORE involved in
their operations. One thing that would help is to remove the cap on
value of luggage items so that it would cost the airline more to lose a bag.

J. Clarke

> Cynicor wrote:
>> Bucky wrote:
>>>
>>> yeah, but the camera bag should be included with 1 of the 2
>>> carry-on's allowed. After all, we don't get to have a 3rd laptop
>>> bag. The laptop bag would count as the 2nd personal bag.

>> Yes, but according to the TSA it's not.

> I agree. I've read the TSA (before this post), and I've even asked
> at the airline, and I've always gotten a "Huh?" response.
>
> Why do you need to carry 3 bags? Even when I went to
> Africa with 2 DSLR bodies, multiple lenses including up to
> 500 mm f/4, I only carried 2 bags: one a photo backpack, and
> one a small laptop bag. The main concern was weight limits,
> not number of bags on some airlines. If you need extra space,
> carry a photo vest and put some stuff in it--they don't
> consider what you are wearing a carry-on.

Scott E-vest. <http://www.scottevest.com/> For _working_ it's not the
most convenient thing in the world, but for _carrying_, it's possible to
get a pretty complete Canon system and a notebook computer into it with
plenty of room left over for PDA, cell phone, keys, documents, a book or
two, etc. It's going to weigh a ton loaded that way, and you don't want
to lean back with the notebook in it, but it will all fit. It's also a
very versatile garment, adaptable to just about any climate.
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke

> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree. I've read the TSA (before this post), and I've even asked
>>> at the airline, and I've always gotten a "Huh?" response.
>>>
>>> Why do you need to carry 3 bags? Even when I went to
>>> Africa with 2 DSLR bodies, multiple lenses including up to
>>> 500 mm f/4, I only carried 2 bags: one a photo backpack, and
>>> one a small laptop bag. The main concern was weight limits,
>>> not number of bags on some airlines. If you need extra space,
>>> carry a photo vest and put some stuff in it--they don't
>>> consider what you are wearing a carry-on.

>> Scott E-vest. <http://www.scottevest.com/> For _working_ it's not
>> the most convenient thing in the world, but for _carrying_, it's
>> possible to get a pretty complete Canon system and a notebook
>> computer into it with plenty of room left over for PDA, cell phone,
>> keys, documents, a book or two, etc. It's going to weigh a ton
>> loaded that way, and you don't want to lean back with the notebook
>> in it, but it will all fit. It's also a very versatile garment,
>> adaptable to just about any climate.

> Try a lowepro computrekker.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how that helps matters. If the issue is
the number of bags one can carry on the plane, then yet another bag
doesn't seem to help.