Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

USB 720 Aircard and a Router?

Chris Blackwell

12-05-2007
Has anyone been successful with using a router yet? I purchased one and made my computer the router and the Router the hub. My lap top recoginzes the IP but it will not access the internet. I think there is something going on with the Verizon software blocking it from accessing the internet.

EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

02-24-2008
I was able to use a D-link 450 router with a PCMCIA to USB adapter to set up a wired/wireless network.

Jeff Cosby

09-26-2008
All,
I have been using USB 720 on my wireless network at home for 2 years now. You just need a router EVDO capable. I bought a used Kyocera (KR-1) on ebay for $150.00. Also D-link and Cradlepoint make one. You set up the network as usual. I would advise using an external antenna for faster speeds.
Jeff

05-14-2009
Yes, ICS works ... (Internet Connection Sharing), ... BUT you are dependent on the software (Windows Firewall??? Yeech!) protection of the host laptop or desktop to keep idiots out of your machine(s). Try a Kyocera USB-Modem router/firewall or several other wireless routers with hardware/firmware firewall protection instead. Yes Virginia my little girl, routers compatible with USB aircards do exits, despite claims above that they are non-existent.

05-05-2011
They now make an aircard to wifi router. Pretty nifty. So, you can basically share one aircard among the whole house full of PCs wirelessly.

http://www.buy.com/prod/aluratek-3g-...211410681.html

And I'd go with an unlimited 3G plan from Sprint or Verison. They are around 35 bucks a month, and they don't have the annoying 5Gb limit that AT&T does.