Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > PC won't turn on - SOS!

PC won't turn on - SOS!

george ladet

Hey Guys,

Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.

This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!

The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU by
putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.

When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
installed any hardware devices recently.

I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it back in
and still no change.

Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another machine
to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing this? Any
consequences?

Please help me if you can.

Thanks.

pen

"george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nywMh.31469$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Hey Guys,
>
> Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.
>
> This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!
>
> The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
> motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU by
> putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.
>
> When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
> happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
> installed any hardware devices recently.
>
> I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it back
> in and still no change.
>
> Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another machine
> to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing this? Any
> consequences?
>
> Please help me if you can.
>
> Thanks.

There are no consequences from moving your hard drive elsewhere. Did you
test the PSU attached to the mobo or was it disconnected. Try it connected
to the mobo with the paperclip. If the machine then starts then the front
panel on/off switch is bad. Check your cables for seating.

george ladet

"pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:nywMh.31469$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.
>>
>> This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!
>>
>> The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
>> motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU by
>> putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.
>>
>> When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
>> happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
>> installed any hardware devices recently.
>>
>> I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it back
>> in and still no change.
>>
>> Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another
>> machine to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing this?
>> Any consequences?
>>
>> Please help me if you can.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> There are no consequences from moving your hard drive elsewhere. Did you
> test the PSU attached to the mobo or was it disconnected. Try it connected
> to the mobo with the paperclip. If the machine then starts then the front
> panel on/off switch is bad. Check your cables for seating.

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said with
the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them, were in place
the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature of the paperclip
method?

Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And do
you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I tried to
use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button seems to be
acting just as a reset button would even in the power switch slot. wherever
i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to respond.

thanks.

george ladet

"george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RQyMh.32108$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:nywMh.31469$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>>> Hey Guys,
>>>
>>> Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.
>>>
>>> This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!
>>>
>>> The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
>>> motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU by
>>> putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.
>>>
>>> When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
>>> happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
>>> installed any hardware devices recently.
>>>
>>> I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it back
>>> in and still no change.
>>>
>>> Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another
>>> machine to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing this?
>>> Any consequences?
>>>
>>> Please help me if you can.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> There are no consequences from moving your hard drive elsewhere. Did you
>> test the PSU attached to the mobo or was it disconnected. Try it
>> connected to the mobo with the paperclip. If the machine then starts then
>> the front panel on/off switch is bad. Check your cables for seating.

> Thanks very much for your quick reply.
>
> Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said with
> the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them, were in
> place the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature of the
> paperclip method?
>
> Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And do
> you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I tried
> to use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button seems to
> be acting just as a reset button would even in the power switch slot.
> wherever i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to respond.
>
> thanks.

just a note:
it seems that the power button is able to shut down the pc (when it's turned
and kept on by paperclip method) but it is unable to turn it on.

pen

"george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RZyMh.32123$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RQyMh.32108$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>
>> "pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:nywMh.31469$(E-Mail Removed) k...

>>> There are no consequences from moving your hard drive elsewhere. Did you
>>> test the PSU attached to the mobo or was it disconnected. Try it
>>> connected to the mobo with the paperclip. If the machine then starts
>>> then the front panel on/off switch is bad. Check your cables for
>>> seating.

>> Thanks very much for your quick reply.
>>
>> Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said with
>> the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them, were in
>> place the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature of the
>> paperclip method?
>>
>> Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And do
>> you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I tried
>> to use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button seems to
>> be acting just as a reset button would even in the power switch slot.
>> wherever i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to respond.
>>
>> thanks.
>>

> just a note:
> it seems that the power button is able to shut down the pc (when it's
> turned and kept on by paperclip method) but it is unable to turn it on.

The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you have
a mobo problem.

vega

"pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RZyMh.32123$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> >
> > "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:RQyMh.32108$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> >>
> >> "pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> >> Thanks very much for your quick reply.
> >>
> >> Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said with
> >> the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them, were in
> >> place the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature of the
> >> paperclip method?
> >>
> >> Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And do
> >> you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I tried
> >> to use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button seems to
> >> be acting just as a reset button would even in the power switch slot.
> >> wherever i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to respond.
> >>
> >> thanks.
> >>

> > just a note:
> > it seems that the power button is able to shut down the pc (when it's
> > turned and kept on by paperclip method) but it is unable to turn it on.
> >

> The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
> activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you have
> a mobo problem.

Paperclip..little hole in the CD....LMFAO.

Or He`s retarded...like yourself!

george ladet

"pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RZyMh.32123$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>
>> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:RQyMh.32108$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>>
>>> "pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Thanks very much for your quick reply.
>>>
>>> Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said
>>> with the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them, were
>>> in place the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature of
>>> the paperclip method?
>>>
>>> Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And
>>> do you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I
>>> tried to use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button
>>> seems to be acting just as a reset button would even in the power switch
>>> slot. wherever i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to
>>> respond.
>>>
>>> thanks.
>>>

>> just a note:
>> it seems that the power button is able to shut down the pc (when it's
>> turned and kept on by paperclip method) but it is unable to turn it on.
>>

> The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
> activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you
> have a mobo problem.

Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on the subject matter. The
paperclip was securely placed between the green and black pins and I took
into account for the fact that it could have become dislodged by testing it
a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at about 2-3 minutes after
each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I
noticed that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple of
minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
indicate a problem with the motherboard? However, again prior to today, if
the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do you now recommend best
thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.

Jesse

"Jesse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:46:56 GMT, "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> >> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:RZyMh.32123$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> >> The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
> >> activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you
> >> have a mobo problem.

> >Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on the subject matter. The
> >paperclip was securely placed between the green and black pins and I took
> >into account for the fact that it could have become dislodged by testing it
> >a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at about 2-3 minutes after
> >each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I
> >noticed that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple of
> >minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
> >indicate a problem with the motherboard? However, again prior to today, if
> >the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do you now recommend best
> >thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.
> >

> >I would look at a replacement power supply first. jesse

I`d look at a head replacement,
because you`re definatley retarded.