Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > PC won't turn on - SOS!

Reply
Thread Tools

PC won't turn on - SOS!

 
 
Neil Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2007

"Jesse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:45:05 GMT, "george ladet"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>"pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>>> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:RZyMh.32123$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>>>
>>>> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>> message
>>>> news:RQyMh.32108$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>>>>
>>>>> "pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>>>> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>>>> message
>>>>>> news:nywMh.31469$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>>>>>>> Hey Guys,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and
>>>>>>> I turned it off.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> The little green light on my motherboard is on
>>>>>>> which indicates the
>>>>>>> motherboard is receiving power from the PSU
>>>>>>> and I've tested the PSU by
>>>>>>> putting a paperclip between the green and
>>>>>>> black pins so that's ok.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press
>>>>>>> the button and nothing
>>>>>>> happens. There is no boot. No power to any
>>>>>>> devices etc. No I haven't
>>>>>>> installed any hardware devices recently.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few
>>>>>>> minutes and popped it
>>>>>>> back in and still no change.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and
>>>>>>> plug it into another
>>>>>>> machine to access data? Will there be any
>>>>>>> negative effect to doing
>>>>>>> this? Any consequences?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Please help me if you can.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thanks.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> There are no consequences from moving your hard
>>>>>> drive elsewhere. Did
>>>>>> you test the PSU attached to the mobo or was it
>>>>>> disconnected. Try it
>>>>>> connected to the mobo with the paperclip. If
>>>>>> the machine then starts
>>>>>> then the front panel on/off switch is bad.
>>>>>> Check your cables for
>>>>>> seating.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks very much for your quick reply.
>>>>>
>>>>> Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using
>>>>> the method you said
>>>>> with the paperclip but although the paperclip,
>>>>> in fact two of them, were
>>>>> in place the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is
>>>>> that a common feature of
>>>>> the paperclip method?
>>>>>
>>>>> Does this mean that the problem is with the
>>>>> front panel connector? And
>>>>> do you have any suggestion as to what I can do
>>>>> to fix the situation? I
>>>>> tried to use the reset switch as the power
>>>>> switch but the reset button
>>>>> seems to be acting just as a reset button would
>>>>> even in the power switch
>>>>> slot. wherever i plug the cable of the
>>>>> powerswitch it doesn't seem to
>>>>> respond.
>>>>>
>>>>> thanks.
>>>>>
>>>> just a note:
>>>> it seems that the power button is able to shut
>>>> down the pc (when it's
>>>> turned and kept on by paperclip method) but it is
>>>> unable to turn it on.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> The switched are momentary but the paperclip
>>> should be fixed. The switches
>>> activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line
>>> down. Apparently you
>>> have a mobo problem.

>>
>>Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on
>>the subject matter. The
>>paperclip was securely placed between the green and
>>black pins and I took
>>into account for the fact that it could have become
>>dislodged by testing it
>>a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at
>>about 2-3 minutes after
>>each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to
>>today's calamity, I
>>noticed that if I shut down the computer it would
>>take at least a couple of
>>minutes for the power button to respond and turn it
>>back on. Does this
>>indicate a problem with the motherboard? However,
>>again prior to today, if
>>the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do
>>you now recommend best
>>thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.
>>

> Additionally, if you are using a clip to turn on,
> just touch the two
> pins together, you should not have a continuous
> continuity between
> only momentary. Still think your problem could be
> the PS. jesse


Almost certainly Jesse.
Generic, read Chinese cheapies, PSU's have a limited
life span. sometimes as little as a few months.
Replace it with an Antec PSU and get a more reliable
and constant power supply, a lot less noise and a
three year warranty.
Double the price, but well worth it.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jesse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2007
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 23:23:33 GMT, "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"Jesse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:46:56 GMT, "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>>> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:RZyMh.32123$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>>>>
>>>>> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>> news:RQyMh.32108$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>>>>> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>>>> news:nywMh.31469$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>>>>>>>> Hey Guys,
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
>>>>>>>> motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU
>>>>>>>> by
>>>>>>>> putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
>>>>>>>> happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
>>>>>>>> installed any hardware devices recently.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it
>>>>>>>> back in and still no change.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another
>>>>>>>> machine to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing
>>>>>>>> this? Any consequences?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Please help me if you can.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Thanks.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> There are no consequences from moving your hard drive elsewhere. Did
>>>>>>> you test the PSU attached to the mobo or was it disconnected. Try it
>>>>>>> connected to the mobo with the paperclip. If the machine then starts
>>>>>>> then the front panel on/off switch is bad. Check your cables for
>>>>>>> seating.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks very much for your quick reply.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said
>>>>>> with the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them,
>>>>>> were
>>>>>> in place the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature
>>>>>> of
>>>>>> the paperclip method?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And
>>>>>> do you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I
>>>>>> tried to use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button
>>>>>> seems to be acting just as a reset button would even in the power
>>>>>> switch
>>>>>> slot. wherever i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to
>>>>>> respond.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> thanks.
>>>>>>
>>>>> just a note:
>>>>> it seems that the power button is able to shut down the pc (when it's
>>>>> turned and kept on by paperclip method) but it is unable to turn it on.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The
>>>> switches
>>>> activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you
>>>> have a mobo problem.
>>>
>>>Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on the subject matter. The
>>>paperclip was securely placed between the green and black pins and I took
>>>into account for the fact that it could have become dislodged by testing
>>>it
>>>a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at about 2-3 minutes after
>>>each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I
>>>noticed that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple
>>>of
>>>minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
>>>indicate a problem with the motherboard? However, again prior to today, if
>>>the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do you now recommend
>>>best
>>>thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.
>>>
>>>
>>>I would look at a replacement power supply first. jesse
>>>

>
>you were right jesse. installed a new supply adn everything is fine now.
>cheers
>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

>

Thank you, most PS now come with a year warrenty so keep your receipt.
jesse
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ernie Werbel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2007
I had a similar-sounding problem a few months ago when I built a new PC, so
I will tell you my story and I hope you can at the very least gain some
insight from it. From reading the other posts, it sounds like the system is
becoming unstable from either your processor getting overworked.
Overworking the processor can cause insufficient power which can trigger
shutoff. My PC was behaving erratic - (shut off after a minute, sometimes
stayed on longer, other times would reboot itself or crash on Windows
startup) - and I went through two 500-watt power supplies, thinking that was
the problem. I ended up buying a 700-watt power supply from NewEgg (Coolmax
Green Power) and have not had the problem since. One last bit of advice...
do not, I repeat DO NOT buy the $10 power supplies that are so tempting. A
few people I know told me they can literally blow up after a few months.
It's better to spend $50 on a quality power supply and not have to worry!
Ernie

----- Original Message -----
From: "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: alt.computer
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 10:39 AM
Subject: PC won't turn on - SOS!


> Hey Guys,
>
> Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.
>
> This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!
>
> The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
> motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU by
> putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.
>
> When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
> happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
> installed any hardware devices recently.
>
> I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it back
> in and still no change.
>
> Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another machine
> to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing this? Any
> consequences?
>
> Please help me if you can.
>
> Thanks.
>


"george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nywMh.31469$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Hey Guys,
>
> Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.
>
> This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!
>
> The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
> motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU by
> putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.
>
> When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
> happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
> installed any hardware devices recently.
>
> I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it back
> in and still no change.
>
> Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another machine
> to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing this? Any
> consequences?
>
> Please help me if you can.
>
> Thanks.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
BuckRabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2007

"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <46031c10$0$5747$(E-Mail Removed)>, vega
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>
>>> In my experience of looking after some 50 odd windoze boxes, the prime
>>> suspect is the power supply!....

>>
>>Bullshit, if you were looking after, anything
>>beyong 1 PC, I`d be amazed..50 lol.
>>
>>
>>

>
> Be amazed then
> --
> Tony Sayer
>


Just reading the relative contents of the above posts, it doesn't sound like it would take a whole lot to amaze bozo-retard vega!

My 2c
Buck


 
Reply With Quote
 
BuckRabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2007

"Neil Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4604db22$0$16557$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>
> "vega" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:46031e45$0$4753$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>
>> "Jesse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 23:45:05 GMT, "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> >
>>> >"pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> >news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> >> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> >> news:RZyMh.32123$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>> >>>
>>> >>> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> >>> news:RQyMh.32108$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> "pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> >>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> >>>>> "george ladet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> >>>>> news:nywMh.31469$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>>> >>>>>> Hey Guys,
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> Last night I was using my PC, all was fine and I turned it off.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> This morning it wouldn't turn on at all!!!!!
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> The little green light on my motherboard is on which indicates the
>>> >>>>>> motherboard is receiving power from the PSU and I've tested the PSU by
>>> >>>>>> putting a paperclip between the green and black pins so that's ok.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> When I say it doesn't turn on, I mean I press the button and nothing
>>> >>>>>> happens. There is no boot. No power to any devices etc. No I haven't
>>> >>>>>> installed any hardware devices recently.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> I've taken out the bios battery, waited a few minutes and popped it
>>> >>>>>> back in and still no change.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> Can I take my internal IDE hard drive out and plug it into another
>>> >>>>>> machine to access data? Will there be any negative effect to doing
>>> >>>>>> this? Any consequences?
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> Please help me if you can.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>> Thanks.
>>> >>>>>>
>>> >>>>>
>>> >>>>> There are no consequences from moving your hard drive elsewhere. Did
>>> >>>>> you test the PSU attached to the mobo or was it disconnected. Try it
>>> >>>>> connected to the mobo with the paperclip. If the machine then starts
>>> >>>>> then the front panel on/off switch is bad. Check your cables for
>>> >>>>> seating.
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> Thanks very much for your quick reply.
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> Ok, I was able to turn on about my machine using the method you said
>>> >>>> with the paperclip but although the paperclip, in fact two of them, were
>>> >>>> in place the pc shuts down after 2 minutes. Is that a common feature of
>>> >>>> the paperclip method?
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> Does this mean that the problem is with the front panel connector? And
>>> >>>> do you have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix the situation? I
>>> >>>> tried to use the reset switch as the power switch but the reset button
>>> >>>> seems to be acting just as a reset button would even in the power switch
>>> >>>> slot. wherever i plug the cable of the powerswitch it doesn't seem to
>>> >>>> respond.
>>> >>>>
>>> >>>> thanks.
>>> >>>>
>>> >>> just a note:
>>> >>> it seems that the power button is able to shut down the pc (when it's
>>> >>> turned and kept on by paperclip method) but it is unable to turn it on.
>>> >>>
>>> >>>
>>> >>
>>> >> The switched are momentary but the paperclip should be fixed. The switches
>>> >> activate a circuit on the mobo to pull the on line down. Apparently you
>>> >> have a mobo problem.
>>> >
>>> >Many thanks for your much appreciated knowledge on the subject matter. The
>>> >paperclip was securely placed between the green and black pins and I took
>>> >into account for the fact that it could have become dislodged by testing it
>>> >a few times but still the pc shut off everytime at about 2-3 minutes after
>>> >each boot. Let me mention that recently, prior to today's calamity, I
>>> >noticed that if I shut down the computer it would take at least a couple of
>>> >minutes for the power button to respond and turn it back on. Does this
>>> >indicate a problem with the motherboard? However, again prior to today, if
>>> >the PC was on it would never shut down by itself. Do you now recommend best
>>> >thing I can do is to get a new mobo? Cheers.
>>> >
>>> Additionally, if you are using a clip to turn on, just touch the two
>>> pins together, you should not have a continuous continuity between
>>> only momentary. Still think your problem could be the PS. jesse

>>
>> Jeez, stick it between your eyeballs
>> and see if you`ll make any contact there...paper-clip..Lol.

>
> Hey Vega.
> Do you know anything, or are you just comedy relief?
>

Vega is a parasite annoying like a small insect ya squash on yer sleeve

Buck


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to give users rights to turn their wireless cards on and off =?Utf-8?B?RGVhbg==?= Wireless Networking 1 10-17-2005 10:04 PM
When I first turn on the notebook can't open home page =?Utf-8?B?R29yZG9u?= Wireless Networking 3 10-06-2005 09:10 PM
Turn off notification of connection to wireless network =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?= Wireless Networking 1 04-17-2005 11:51 PM
Turn Of the Splash Screen? Bongo Firefox 5 12-21-2003 10:53 PM
Possible to turn off flowed text? : : b r i a n : : Firefox 2 12-21-2003 07:53 PM



Advertisments