Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > refactoring out static classes

refactoring out static classes

R. Vince

Some months ago, I read about a utility that factors out static classes,
making them be instantiated. Has anyone heard of this utulity (because now I
cannot remember it), what it is called? Thanks

Daniel Pitts

On Mar 22, 7:31 am, "R. Vince" <rvince99 a t hotmail d o t com>
wrote:
> Some months ago, I read about a utility that factors out static classes,
> making them be instantiated. Has anyone heard of this utulity (because now I
> cannot remember it), what it is called? Thanks

Classes can not be instantiated. Objects can be instantiated.

Without you clarifying more what you actually want, I can't really
help.

Could you have meant to ask one of the following questions?

How do I move a static inner class to a top level class?
How do I make a static member into an instance member?
How do I instantiate an object?
What is refactorying, and how do I do it?

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

På Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:31:05 +0100, skrev R. Vince <rvince99 a t hotmail d
o t <"com>">:

> Some months ago, I read about a utility that factors out static classes,
> making them be instantiated. Has anyone heard of this utulity (because
> now I
> cannot remember it), what it is called? Thanks

You mean turn static nested classes into top-level classes? Usually you
would do that in an IDE so that all affected classes in a project or
workspace get updates as well (since the outer class no longer forms part
of the namespace). Eclipse, Netbeans, JBuilder, JDeveloper - AFAIK all of
them can do this easily.