Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > signal or network booster

signal or network booster

alexd

Desk Rabbit wrote:

> alexd wrote:
>
>> How are you attempting to bridge the two? Cat5 or wireless? If it's
>> wireless, then best of luck. Unless the hardware is specifically designed
>> to be a repeater [two sets of radio gear, two antennae]

> "two sets of radio gear, two antennae" Eh????

A repeater would have to listen on one channel and retransmit what it heard
on another. Hence needing two sets of RF gear, and most likely two
antennae; one directional antenna pointing at the signal that it's trying
to boost, and one omnidirectional antenna repeating the signal to the
intended clients would be ideal.

16:11:16 up 28 days, 20:24, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.18
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Desk Rabbit

alexd wrote:
> Desk Rabbit wrote:
>
>> alexd wrote:
>>
>>> How are you attempting to bridge the two? Cat5 or wireless? If it's
>>> wireless, then best of luck. Unless the hardware is specifically designed
>>> to be a repeater [two sets of radio gear, two antennae]

>> "two sets of radio gear, two antennae" Eh????

> A repeater would have to listen on one channel and retransmit what it heard
> on another. Hence needing two sets of RF gear, and most likely two
> antennae; one directional antenna pointing at the signal that it's trying
> to boost, and one omnidirectional antenna repeating the signal to the
> intended clients would be ideal.

And such a thing can be found where exactly?

You are just guessing aren't you?

alexd

Desk Rabbit wrote:

> alexd wrote:

>> A repeater would have to listen on one channel and retransmit what it
>> heard on another. Hence needing two sets of RF gear, and most likely two
>> antennae; one directional antenna pointing at the signal that it's trying
>> to boost, and one omnidirectional antenna repeating the signal to the
>> intended clients would be ideal.
>>

> And such a thing can be found where exactly?

No idea. You could build one from [say] a router running OpenWRT. Or you
could buy one.

> You are just guessing aren't you?

Eh?

16:28:45 up 31 days, 19:42, 2 users, load average: 0.40, 0.51, 0.41

alexd wrote:
> Desk Rabbit wrote:
>
>> alexd wrote:

>>> A repeater would have to listen on one channel and retransmit what it
>>> heard on another. Hence needing two sets of RF gear, and most likely two
>>> antennae; one directional antenna pointing at the signal that it's trying
>>> to boost, and one omnidirectional antenna repeating the signal to the
>>> intended clients would be ideal.
>>>

>> And such a thing can be found where exactly?

> No idea. You could build one from [say] a router running OpenWRT. Or you
> could buy one.

Like I said, you are just guessing...........

alexd

Desk Rabbit wrote:

> Like I said, you are just guessing...........

Whatever.

20:33:18 up 31 days, 23:46, 2 users, load average: 0.16, 0.47, 0.28
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

ale.cx

On 26 Mar, 14:18, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> alexd wrote:
> > Desk Rabbit wrote:

> >> "two sets of radio gear, two antennae" Eh????

> > A repeater would have to listen on one channel and retransmit what it heard
> > on another. Hence needing two sets of RF gear, and most likely two
> > antennae; one directional antenna pointing at the signal that it's trying
> > to boost, and one omnidirectional antenna repeating the signal to the
> > intended clients would be ideal.

> And such a thing can be found where exactly?
>
> You are just guessing aren't you?

Netgear WAG302, for example

http://www.wizardprice.com/products/WAG302EU.NE

Sorry it took so long.

alexd

Desk Rabbit

ale.cx wrote:
> On 26 Mar, 14:18, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> alexd wrote:
>>> A repeater would have to listen on one channel and retransmit what it heard
>>> on another. Hence needing two sets of RF gear, and most likely two
>>> antennae; one directional antenna pointing at the signal that it's trying
>>> to boost, and one omnidirectional antenna repeating the signal to the
>>> intended clients would be ideal.

>> And such a thing can be found where exactly?
>>
>> You are just guessing aren't you?

> Netgear WAG302, for example
>
> http://www.wizardprice.com/products/WAG302EU.NE
>
> Sorry it took so long.
>
> alexd

Sorry, wrong again. You said "one directional antenna pointing at the
signal that it's trying to boost, and one omnidirectional antenna
repeating the signal to the intended clients would be ideal."

Here are some different antenna
http://www.wifigear.co.uk/wifi-antennas-c-32.html

Note the difference between a directional Yagi and an omni-directional.
Now look at the picture of the WAG302 and you will hopefully see that it
has two omni directional aerials. Granted it might have two transcievers
but I still see no evidence that it is working the way you suggest it
should work, only that it has more than one omni-directional aerial for
better coverage.

alexd

Desk Muppet wrote:

> Sorry, wrong again. You said "one directional antenna pointing at the
> signal that it's trying to boost, and one omnidirectional antenna
> repeating the signal to the intended clients would be ideal."

If you *have* to buy them with directional antennas, look at this:

http://www.wifigear.co.uk/dualband-b...get-p-367.html

> Here are some different antenna
> http://www.wifigear.co.uk/wifi-antennas-c-32.html
>
> Note the difference between a directional Yagi and an omni-directional.
> Now look at the picture of the WAG302 and you will hopefully see that it
> has two omni directional aerials.

Thanks for the help there, Captain Obvious.

> Granted it might have two transcievers but I still see no evidence that
> it is working the way you suggest it should work, only that it has more
> than one omni-directional aerial for better coverage.

It definitely does have two transceivers; the 11A is connected to one
socket, and the 11G is connected to t'other.

18:09:27 up 2 days, 20:08, 2 users, load average: 0.08, 0.28, 0.52
Yes. I'm just guessing.

Desk Rabbit

alexd wrote:
> Desk Muppet wrote:
>
>> Sorry, wrong again. You said "one directional antenna pointing at the
>> signal that it's trying to boost, and one omnidirectional antenna
>> repeating the signal to the intended clients would be ideal."

> If you *have* to buy them with directional antennas, look at this:

That does indeed look the part but still not exactly what you and the OP
were talking about which was to boost the signal to other clients.

> http://www.wifigear.co.uk/dualband-b...get-p-367.html
>
>> Here are some different antenna
>> http://www.wifigear.co.uk/wifi-antennas-c-32.html
>>
>> Note the difference between a directional Yagi and an omni-directional.
>> Now look at the picture of the WAG302 and you will hopefully see that it
>> has two omni directional aerials.

> Thanks for the help there, Captain Obvious.

Well its not obvious from your posts that you know much about antennas
and radio and no offence was intended.

>> Granted it might have two transcievers but I still see no evidence that
>> it is working the way you suggest it should work, only that it has more
>> than one omni-directional aerial for better coverage.

> It definitely does have two transceivers; the 11A is connected to one
> socket, and the 11G is connected to t'other.

Oh I see, so if you are unlucky enough to want to use say 11G and that
is being used for the bridge, then you are stuffed - useful piece of kit