Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dialup doesn't use available bandwidth

Dialup doesn't use available bandwidth

Howard Heflin

I have dial up and use a US Robotics V-Everything for my connections.

I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
find that it will start out using most of the bandwidth available
according to the Windows Task Manager. However, then the process seems
to throttle to the point that it is using only a maximum of 30 - 43% of
the bandwidth.

I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM

Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
downloads on dial up?

Mr. Arnold

Howard Heflin wrote:
> I have dial up and use a US Robotics V-Everything for my connections.
>
> I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
> find that it will start out using most of the bandwidth available
> according to the Windows Task Manager. However, then the process seems
> to throttle to the point that it is using only a maximum of 30 - 43% of
> the bandwidth.
>
> I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM
>
> Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
> downloads on dial up?

<snipped>

Circuit switching dominates the public switched telephone network or
PSTN. Network resources set up calls over the most efficient route. That
might mean a call from New York to San Francisco goes through switching
centers in San Diego, Chicago, and Saint Louis. But no matter how
convoluted the route, that path or circuit stays the same throughout the
call. Got it? One call, one circuit. It's like having a dedicated
railroad track with only one train, your call, permitted on the track at
a time.

<snipped>

The connection can start switching for best path on bottlenecks, which
leads to packet loss, re-transmission of packets, transmission slow down
by the sender, etc, etc.

The link with the article explains what happens with data in a TCP/IP
connection, really starting around figure 7 as to why things work they
work and the measures taken to make it work.

<http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/ac174/ac196/about_cisco_ipj_archive_article09186a00800c8417.ht ml>

why?

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:34:34 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:

>I have dial up and use a US Robotics V-Everything for my connections.

If your ISP has V-Everything and the line is at optimum performance and
the server could supply files as fast as request you will get the max
download rate you can.

>I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
>find that it will start out using most of the bandwidth available

Depends on the far end and everything in between.

>according to the Windows Task Manager. However, then the process seems

What process, unless... oh well it maybe doesn't matter because you
might mean the Networking tab, which isn't a great guide anyway.

>to throttle to the point that it is using only a maximum of 30 - 43% of
>the bandwidth.

30-43% of what max, if it's 56K not bad, if it of 256K it's bad.

>I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM
>
>Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
>downloads on dial up?

Ask them?

Or if it's not them, ask every intermediate provider up to the admins of
the server you download from.

You could have put - speeds dial up earthlink in your subject line so
maybe earthlink users may have noticed.

Me

Howard Heflin

why? wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:34:34 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:
>
>> I have dial up and use a US Robotics V-Everything for my connections.

> If your ISP has V-Everything and the line is at optimum performance and
> the server could supply files as fast as request you will get the max
> download rate you can.
>
>> I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
>> find that it will start out using most of the bandwidth available

> Depends on the far end and everything in between.
>
>> according to the Windows Task Manager. However, then the process seems

> What process, unless... oh well it maybe doesn't matter because you
> might mean the Networking tab, which isn't a great guide anyway.
>
>> to throttle to the point that it is using only a maximum of 30 - 43% of
>> the bandwidth.

> 30-43% of what max, if it's 56K not bad, if it of 256K it's bad.
>
>> I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM
>>
>> Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
>> downloads on dial up?

> Ask them?
>
> Or if it's not them, ask every intermediate provider up to the admins of
> the server you download from.
>
> You could have put - speeds dial up earthlink in your subject line so
> maybe earthlink users may have noticed.
>
> Me

Thanks to both of you for the feed back.

FWIW its 30-42% max of 56Kb or around a max download rate of 17Kb to
24Kb. That's not what I would call good.

why?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:06:35 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:

>why? wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:34:34 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:
>>
>>> I have dial up and use a US Robotics V-Everything for my connections.

>> If your ISP has V-Everything and the line is at optimum performance and
>> the server could supply files as fast as request you will get the max
>> download rate you can.
>>
>>> I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
>>> find that it will start out using most of the bandwidth available

>> Depends on the far end and everything in between.

<snip>

>> 30-43% of what max, if it's 56K not bad, if it of 256K it's bad.

<snip>

>Thanks to both of you for the feed back.

Yw.

>FWIW its 30-42% max of 56Kb or around a max download rate of 17Kb to
>24Kb. That's not what I would call good.

You could have snipped a bit, or not bottom posted 3 lines at the end.

Do remember 56k was a in theory maximum, not really obtainable in
practice. You may find old posts in 24HSHD mentioning speeds.

IIRC, 6/7+ years ago since I had dialup, it was about the time V92 came
out. ISP had the industrial rack versions of the USR V.92 hardware. I
upgraded my modem to a USR 56K V.92 + drivers and the speeds went up to
37,500 / 48,000 speeds.

You have set the serial COM port baud rate to 115200?

A lot of people did this-

V.92 56000 baud, set COM port speed to closest (whatever it was). Except
that *limits* the amount of data transferred between the PC/modem, not
the modem/ISP. i.e. you are slowing down the PC/modem data rate.

With the modem, [buffers / compression] and UART on the the PC serial
port it (I always used hardware external modems, never winmodems) will
transfer data to/from the PC at 115200 baud.

Me

Howard Heflin

why? wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:06:35 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:
>
>> why? wrote:

>>> If your ISP has V-Everything and the line is at optimum performance and
>>> the server could supply files as fast as request you will get the max
>>> download rate you can.

>>> Depends on the far end and everything in between.

> <snip>
>
>>> 30-43% of what max, if it's 56K not bad, if it of 256K it's bad.

> <snip>
>
>> Thanks to both of you for the feed back.

> Yw.
>
>> FWIW its 30-42% max of 56Kb or around a max download rate of 17Kb to
>> 24Kb. That's not what I would call good.

> You could have snipped a bit, or not bottom posted 3 lines at the end.
>
> Do remember 56k was a in theory maximum, not really obtainable in
> practice. You may find old posts in 24HSHD mentioning speeds.
>
> IIRC, 6/7+ years ago since I had dialup, it was about the time V92 came
> out. ISP had the industrial rack versions of the USR V.92 hardware. I
> upgraded my modem to a USR 56K V.92 + drivers and the speeds went up to
> 37,500 / 48,000 speeds.
>
> You have set the serial COM port baud rate to 115200?
>
> A lot of people did this-
>
> V.92 56000 baud, set COM port speed to closest (whatever it was). Except
> that *limits* the amount of data transferred between the PC/modem, not
> the modem/ISP. i.e. you are slowing down the PC/modem data rate.
>
> With the modem, [buffers / compression] and UART on the the PC serial
> port it (I always used hardware external modems, never winmodems) will
> transfer data to/from the PC at 115200 baud.
>
> Me

Yeh, I have the modem set to 115200 so I'm not sure exactly what your
are saying I should do to improve things?
Howard

why?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:45:07 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:

>why? wrote:

>> <snip>

<snip>

>> You have set the serial COM port baud rate to 115200?
>>
>> A lot of people did this-
>>
>> V.92 56000 baud, set COM port speed to closest (whatever it was). Except
>> that *limits* the amount of data transferred between the PC/modem, not
>> the modem/ISP. i.e. you are slowing down the PC/modem data rate.
>>
>> With the modem, [buffers / compression] and UART on the the PC serial
>> port it (I always used hardware external modems, never winmodems) will
>> transfer data to/from the PC at 115200 baud.
>>
>> Me

>Yeh, I have the modem set to 115200 so I'm not sure exactly what your
>are saying I should do to improve things?

Some people set the COM port speed to 57000 (just looked up values).

Well you didn't mention it at first, so as you have it set to 115200
that's that sorted, you don't need to change it. Otherwise the
improvement would have been change it to 115200.

Driver issue?

Maybe it's just the phone line.

Me

Howard Heflin

why? wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:45:07 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:
>
>> why? wrote:

>>> <snip>

> <snip>
>
>>> You have set the serial COM port baud rate to 115200?
>>>
>>> A lot of people did this-
>>>

> <snip>
>
>> Yeh, I have the modem set to 115200 so I'm not sure exactly what your
>> are saying I should do to improve things?

> Some people set the COM port speed to 57000 (just looked up values).
>
> Well you didn't mention it at first, so as you have it set to 115200
> that's that sorted, you don't need to change it. Otherwise the
> improvement would have been change it to 115200.
>
> Driver issue?
>
> Maybe it's just the phone line.
>
> Me

This all leads me to wonder if DSL will be much of an improvement if its
a phone line issue. :-p Is there any relatively easy way to determine
if it's a line issue?
Howard

r72392@gmail.com

On Mar 22, 10:34 am, Howard Heflin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
> find that it will start out using most of thebandwidthavailable
> according to the Windows TaskManager. However, then the process seems
> to throttle to the point that it is using only a maximum of 30 - 43% of
> thebandwidth.
>
> I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM
>
> Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
> downloads on dial up?

The problem is TCP ack packets not getting through. Use a program
that prioritizes the TCP control traffic and you will get close to
100% line utilization (Traffic Shaper XP is a good freeware one).

why?

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:19:19 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:

>why? wrote:

<big snip>

>> Driver issue?
>>
>> Maybe it's just the phone line.
>>
>> Me

>This all leads me to wonder if DSL will be much of an improvement if its
>a phone line issue. :-p Is there any relatively easy way to determine
>if it's a line issue?

I would suspect that if you research local ISP, DSL support forums you
will find lots of info.

Ask the phone company to test the line.

>Howard

Me

QoS and available Bandwidth JF Mezei Cisco 12 12-15-2010 06:32 AM
available bandwidth srp336@getcoactive.com Cisco 4 03-02-2006 07:41 PM
Regarding upload/download and available bandwidth vasavi Wireless Networking 4 12-13-2005 11:22 AM
Available Bandwidth Igor MamuziŠ Cisco 7 01-12-2005 09:26 AM
Microsoft update impossible had to use dialup! Larry Stein Computer Support 1 01-09-2004 05:38 PM

Advertisments