Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Lost my NT4 Profile

Lost my NT4 Profile

Slarty Bartfast

I ghosted my hard drive to another hard drive for backup. I do this once a
month in case og HDD crash. This time however, I couldn't get my profile
back. Error message "The operating System was unable to load the profile.."

So now I have 'JohnS' with the default profile and 'JohnS.bak' sitting there
and so far, I can't get it back.

Usually, when this happens for others, I just drag the Internet Favorites
over to the new profile which is OK for most people, but it's a catastrophe
for me. - For one thing, all my NewsGroup settings in Outlook Express are
lost...

I logged on as Administrator, and I renamed 'Default User' profile to
'Default Old' and renamed 'JohnS.bak' to 'Default User' and deleted 'JohnS'
and re-logged on as 'JohnS', hoping to get back my profile. I logged back on
as Administrator and changed 'Default Old' back to 'Default User'.
It seemed to work OK, until I re-re-logged on again and got the 'Default'
profile back again!

Any suggestions please?

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast

Slarty Bartfast

Just checking and I noticed that this had nothing to do with the Ghosting.
In the Application Event Logs, at my first log-on in the morning at 8:33am;

Event ID: 1000
RegLoadKey failed with error 1009 for C:\WINNT\Profiles\paulf\ntuser.dat

I didn't notice this event log warning at the time for some reason, and when
I logged of and re-logged on at 9:46am, I got these errors;

9:46:07am
Event ID: 1000 Source: Userenv
RegLoadKey failed with error 1009 for C:\WINNT\Profiles\paulf\ntuser.dat

Then;
9:46:38am
Event ID: 1000 Source: Userenv
The operating system was unable to load the locally stored profile. A new
local profile will be created. (1009)

A quick look at what caused this is most likely this one;

"The profile is corrupted. Either the local Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.man or the
roaming copy of Ntuser.dat is corrupted. When this occurs, there is usually
an event indicating a RegLoadKey failure."

However, I still don't have an answer how to get back my original profile
which is still sitting there looking at me.

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=

Copy folder one at a time, log on, and see if any more are corrupt

Settings you want are likely in the Application Data folders (2 of them

You don't need to copy the ntuser.dat file

Finally - did you change your password as well? Change it back.

Lost my virginity,.... you don't hear me complaining

Slarty Bartfast

Thanks Marko,

That was a big help.
It would have been nice to wave a magic wand and get my 'bak' to work again,
but your method still saved a lot of work.

--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast