Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > [OT] Ping Jtyc

[OT] Ping Jtyc

JaR

Packard-Hell voted worst PC of all time! As if we didn't already know that.
ROFL!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...s/article.html

--
JaR
Suffering Fools Gladly

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHdvcm0=?=

"JaR" wrote:

> Packard-Hell voted worst PC of all time! As if we didn't already know that.
> ROFL!
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...s/article.html
>
> --
> JaR
> Suffering Fools Gladly
> Remove hat to reply

That's funny, one of the first home PC's I got was a piece of crap Packard
Bell in the Early 90's and we got a settlement check cause those scum bags
were selling used parts inside the case as new and got nailed in a class
action suit. I believe our settlement check was for $15.00. Got it at a
AAFEES store on Ft. Benjamin Harrison for $800, what a bargan.

--
Sand "I only take my hat off for 2 things & typing's not one of 'em" worm
MCSE, A+, MCNGP #00100001, YABBADABBADOO

JaR

"Sandworm" <sandworm@hunter_s_thompson_was_a_genius.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JaR" wrote:
>
>> Packard-Hell voted worst PC of all time! As if we didn't already know
>> that.
>> ROFL!
>>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...s/article.html
>>
>> --
>> JaR
>> Suffering Fools Gladly
>> Remove hat to reply

> That's funny, one of the first home PC's I got was a piece of crap Packard
> Bell in the Early 90's and we got a settlement check cause those scum bags
> were selling used parts inside the case as new and got nailed in a class
> action suit. I believe our settlement check was for $15.00. Got it at a
> AAFEES store on Ft. Benjamin Harrison for $800, what a bargan.

I had a PI that I bought at Sears. I ended up returning the damb thing
twice, getting upgraded both times in the process(Last one actually had
Win95!) finally just started fixing it myself rather than go through the
hassle of trying to get tech support.

I owe Packard-Hell a debt of gratitude, actually. I learned more about
repairing computers from their crap boxen than any training or class I ever
attended.

Class action suits are a fscking joke. The lawyers make millions, and the
poor saps they supposedly represent get a few cents back if they are lucky.
Oughtta be outlawed.

--
JaR
A+ Baybee!

Jtyc

> That's funny, one of the first home PC's I got was a piece of crap Packard
> Bell in the Early 90's and we got a settlement check cause those scum bags
> were selling used parts inside the case as new and got nailed in a class
> action suit. I believe our settlement check was for $15.00. Got it at a
> AAFEES store on Ft. Benjamin Harrison for $800, what a bargan.

You were better off with the used parts. The refurbished systems had to be
tested much more rigoursly than the production systems.

Jtyc

> Packard-Hell voted worst PC of all time! As if we didn't already know
> that. ROFL!

Well Packard Bell had the worst users of all time so it's all good.

JaR

Jtyc wrote:
>> That's funny, one of the first home PC's I got was a piece of crap Packard
>> Bell in the Early 90's and we got a settlement check cause those scum bags
>> were selling used parts inside the case as new and got nailed in a class
>> action suit. I believe our settlement check was for $15.00. Got it at a
>> AAFEES store on Ft. Benjamin Harrison for $800, what a bargan.

> You were better off with the used parts. The refurbished systems had to be
> tested much more rigoursly than the production systems.

This former PB employee appears to disagree with that sentiment:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons...21&tid=2406380

> I don't doubt you. PB stunk like a corpse. by shadowsystems [2007/03/21 08:27]
> I learned from a friend who worked in the Returns Warehouse that 90% of what they got in was "quick checked", "recertified", and shipped back out.
> Usually the same day.
> Bad software? Remove the HD, replace with another HD, fire it up & ship it.
> Bad video card? Grab a spare, stuff it in, reboot & ship it.
> Basically they were taking the parts out of Computer 1, replacing them with "hopefully good" spares, and shipping it back out.
> The next computer through got "spares" ... from the previous computer in line.
> If you sent in your system for warranty repair, you almost *always* got a different machine in return.
> Because they wouldn't bother fixing yours, they'd just grab one off the stack that did work (no telling how WELL, just "it boots, ship it"), then go through yours to turn it into the replacement for the next victim in line.
>
> It wasn't like that to begin with.
> I got to spend a week in the RW helping deal with the returns, and it was more along the lines of "Do what-ever it takes to make it work, but don't goof off. We've got a two-day turn-around time in the contract, so get it fixed, get it out, and get to the next one."
> Towards the end, my friend said it was more along the lines of what I was experiencing in the manufacturing side.
> "Rip it, replace it, boot it, ship it. !NEXT!"
> =(

Jtyc

> I owe Packard-Hell a debt of gratitude, actually.

You, are welcome.

Jtyc

They, like me, are just repeating what they heard. Believe whatever you
wish.

The company failed in the U.S for various reasons, referbished parts in the
systems is not one of them. Other companies had the same practice. I would
point the failure to:

Poor system design - The cases were horrible but eventually fixed. The
modem/video combo cards were a pain as well. Eventually we shipped the same
components as everyone else, though by then the reputation was established.
The problem here, btw, was not the engineering. Marketing drove most
projects and they caused nightmares for the rest of us.

Poor marketing - They didn't try to target higher end customers until it was
too late, always shooting for the Walmart crowd.

Customer service - That's a whole story to itself.

Although PB drove the cost of PCs way down. First sub $1000 PC, first sub
$900, $800, all the way down to the PB1000, first sub $500 PC.