Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Low cost line rental telephone provider

Low cost line rental telephone provider

PhilT

On Mar 21, 10:12 pm, "Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You may wish to consider the BT Light User scheme - if you use the
> line very little for calls then you get a discount off your line
> rental.

not eligible if has broadband or another communications service. The
LUS is a social subsidy not a usage discount.

Phil

bill

"NoNeedToKnow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 21 Mar 2007, Sahil Akhlaq <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

> >>But they don't like ADSL on red care lines.

> >Internet connection is with Virginmedia

> RedCare is a facility where (AFAIK) a tone is passed down the line and if
> there's no tone, an alarm is triggered (it means that a burglar cutting a
> phone line, to prevent an autodial alarm, will trigger the alarm by the
> action of cutting the wire).
>
> I suspect RMC is unaware that there is a version of RedCare which is able
> to work with ADSL on the same line (and it was unclear from the original
> post as to whether RedCare is involved anyway - if it is on your line,
> I expect the Alarm firm charges you annually in advance [but pays BT
> only each quarter, so they have your cash and earn interest on it]).
>
> ITplc (www.itplc.com) might do lower cost line rental, though it may not
> be ideal (an annual contract, and was only a small amount cheaper that
> BT). With any one of these 'third party' firms a faults need to be
> reported first to your phone service firm, which will contact BT
> (Openreach), so there may be a delay getting any fault fixed

Noneedtoknow

Do you know if you can use CPS or prefix service providers with itplc
resedential line?

Iain

Bob Eager

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:04:58 UTC, "Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> There should not be a delay in getting faults fixed - it's a common
> misconception that BT Retail fix faults faster than other service
> providers, in fact Openreach figures prove that on average they fix
> faults faster for other service providers than they do for BT Retail -
> although performance of course does vary across different providers.

My understanding is that, while the above may well be true, getting the
other service provider to contact Openreach can take longer - partly
inefficiency and sometimes delaying tactics. Not that BT Retail are
blameless, either - but I get great service from them with Totalcare!

--
Bob Eager
begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

Bob Eager

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:12:36 UTC, "Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Mar 21, 8:17 pm, Sahil Akhlaq <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:18:12 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
> >
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > >RedCare is a facility where (AFAIK) a tone is passed down the line and if
> > >there's no tone, an alarm is triggered (it means that a burglar cutting a
> > >phone line, to prevent an autodial alarm, will trigger the alarm by the
> > >action of cutting the wire).

> > >I suspect RMC is unaware that there is a version of RedCare which is able
> > >to work with ADSL on the same line (and it was unclear from the original
> > >post as to whether RedCare is involved anyway - if it is on your line,
> > >I expect the Alarm firm charges you annually in advance [but pays BT
> > >only each quarter, so they have your cash and earn interest on it]).

> > Now I understand. My Burglar alarm is not the monitored type, instead
> > it's got a automated dialer inside the house which rings 3
> > pre-programmed telephone numbers with a recorded message. so there is
> > no redcare service involved. I also don't use adsl. I have cable
> > Internet with virginmedia.
> >
> > I'm going to try getting the deal Herman mentioned earlier from
> > virginmedia.
> >
> > --
> > Sahil

> You may wish to consider the BT Light User scheme - if you use the
> line very little for calls then you get a discount off your line
> rental.

Since he has a mobile (and also VoIP), he doesn't qualify for LUS.

--
Bob Eager
begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

J B

"Sahil Akhlaq" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have burglar alarm with an auto-dialer
> which I still want plugged into my land line

Can you plug a burglar alarm into a cheap mobile payg?

Ash

On Mar 21, 11:44 pm, "Bob Eager" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:04:58 UTC, "Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > There should not be a delay in getting faults fixed - it's a common
> > misconception that BT Retail fix faults faster than other service
> > providers, in fact Openreach figures prove that on average they fix
> > faults faster for other service providers than they do for BT Retail -
> > although performance of course does vary across different providers.

> My understanding is that, while the above may well be true, getting the
> other service provider to contact Openreach can take longer - partly
> inefficiency and sometimes delaying tactics. Not that BT Retail are
> blameless, either - but I get great service from them with Totalcare!
>
> --
> Bob Eager
> begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

What you say is possible and in some cases true. However it would be
helpful to recognise that many service providers act quickly and
provide a faster fault resolution than BT Retail. I come from a
service provider background and it frustrates me a little that the
view the BT Retail provide a faster repair service persists, when this
is not actually the case and statistics published by Openreach prove
this.

NoNeedToKnow

On 21 Mar 2007, "bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Do you know if you can use CPS or prefix service providers with itplc
>residential line?

Neither - their T+C state that you cannot use any means to bypass them at
the exchange. It doesn't block the use of VoIP, so far as I know, but it
also has some other restrictions, such as being ineligible if aged 60 or
over (not sure whether they could now be breaking age-limit laws!)

I did look at using ITplc for my Highway connection some years ago but
they have since increased their fees (so no longer claim to be half
price compared with BT monthly fees - they weren't, actually, as the
fees they compared had BT including VAT and their own, excluding VAT).

Jono

Ash wrote:
> On Mar 21, 11:44 pm, "Bob Eager" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:04:58 UTC, "Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There should not be a delay in getting faults fixed - it's a common
>>> misconception that BT Retail fix faults faster than other service
>>> providers, in fact Openreach figures prove that on average they fix
>>> faults faster for other service providers than they do for BT Retail -
>>> although performance of course does vary across different providers.

>> My understanding is that, while the above may well be true, getting the
>> other service provider to contact Openreach can take longer - partly
>> inefficiency and sometimes delaying tactics. Not that BT Retail are
>> blameless, either - but I get great service from them with Totalcare!

> What you say is possible and in some cases true. However it would be
> helpful to recognise that many service providers act quickly and
> provide a faster fault resolution than BT Retail. I come from a
> service provider background and it frustrates me a little that the
> view the BT Retail provide a faster repair service persists, when this
> is not actually the case and statistics published by Openreach prove
> this.

Hear hear! I raised a fault a 5:15pm on EcoRepair on Tuesday evening.
8am Wednesday asked for an update. Was told engineer would attend on
Friday. Rang a contact at Openreach who escalated it at 9:01am
Wednesday. Engineer on site at 9:35am Wednesday. Fault fixed.

This customer had had an Engineer out the previous week, arranged
through their ISP - BT - who actually made the fault worse - they came
to me after BT fobbed him off & had refused to raise another fault.
Being his lines provider, and because the previous engineer had left the
site the week before having created a voice fault, I was able to
progress it. Hopefully, he won't suffer TRCs. If he does, I'll not pass
them on to him......

Jono

J B wrote :
> "Sahil Akhlaq" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I have burglar alarm with an auto-dialer
>> which I still want plugged into my land line

> Can you plug a burglar alarm into a cheap mobile payg?

You could certainly plug one in to a premicell which has a cheap PAYG
sim in it.......not sure I'd trust it to alarm use, though - what if
you forgot to check top-up status?