Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > I can't get a Netgear laptop connected into an existing Belkin network......

I can't get a Netgear laptop connected into an existing Belkin network......

Tom Walker

I've got a Win XP Pro and Win 98SE ad-hoc network using Belkin 54g cards
working OK with ICS, file & printer sharing etc.

I have tried to add a Win 98SE laptop with a Netgear WG511 card to this
network but can't ping to or from the laptop.

Network signal strength is excellent, IPs are all of the form
192,168.0.x Using WEP with identical keys and all PCs are currently
reporting 11.0 Mbps speed.

Pings to, or from the laptop just time out.....

Any help much appreciated.

Tom Walker

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnaA==?=

Not uncommon apparently. Check this thread, which has some suggestions:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...1806~mode=flat
Have you checked for updated drivers?

"Tom Walker" wrote:

> I've got a Win XP Pro and Win 98SE ad-hoc network using Belkin 54g cards
> working OK with ICS, file & printer sharing etc.
>
> I have tried to add a Win 98SE laptop with a Netgear WG511 card to this
> network but can't ping to or from the laptop.
>
> Network signal strength is excellent, IPs are all of the form
> 192,168.0.x Using WEP with identical keys and all PCs are currently
> reporting 11.0 Mbps speed.
>
> Pings to, or from the laptop just time out.....
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Tom Walker

Tom Walker

Hugh

Many thanks - interesting but disturbing, reading.

Most is focused on the code 10 problem which I don't get but there were
some useful suggestions in there to make sure I have a "clean"
installation. Tried most that seemed relevant but with no change.

While fumbling around, I've noticed that the Netgear Wireless Assistant
shows I'm apparently connected when I remove the WEP key or enter it as
a 64 -bit key (rather than 12. It also shows a MAC address for the
other PC that is different from the one shown by the Belkin utility.
It's almost like it can see the othe network but somehow won't link up -
I can't see anything that looks different or indicates any error.

I suppose I'll have to wait until I get some sort of response from
Netgear but looking at the comments on the thread.....

I appreciate your help.

Tom Walker