Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > "freeze" desktop

"freeze" desktop

Gordon Beaton

On 21 Mar 2007 21:21:16 -0700, max wrote:
> thanks for all the concern, i'm smart enough to avoid writing such
> annoying software. As what i mention on the first message, I want the
> program to run each time when the Windows start, not in the middle.
> The user doesn't have a choice, because i'm writing it for my Cyber
> cafe, not for the general market.

In that case, have a look at http://openkiosk.sourceforge.net/ for one
example. Search for "kiosk systems" for more.

/gordon

Oliver Wong

"Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Mar 22, 3:21 pm, "max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ..
>> ..As what i mention on the first message, I want the
>> program to run each time when the Windows start, not in the middle.

> A web started application, invoked at start-up,
> could not only provide a simple splash screen
> and messages to indicate progress, but also allow
> other applications to continue in their own
> threads, unhindered.

I think the OP does NOT want to allow other applications to continue
in their own threads, unhindered.

>> The user doesn't have a choice, because i'm
>> writing it for my Cyber cafe, ..

> What precisely do you mean by 'my Cyber cafe',
> are you referring to a shop with a row of
> computers, and staff employed by you, to switch
> them on in the morning (or reboot them as needed)?
>
> What does this 'locking of the desktop' offer to
> the process, how does it bring any advantage to
> the people who are booting the computers?
> (And if the answer is 'none', then 'why bother?')
>
>>..not for the general market.

> If my understanding of 'Cyber cafe' is correct,
> the end users who are paying for computer time
> do not need to (re)boot the PC's? Is that what
> you mean?

A cybercafé is a place where you can rent computers for a few minutes
or hours at a time. The "cafe" part comes into play because you can
usually purchase beverages too.

I'm guessing the OP wants to completely lock down the system, so that
his main application (e.g. which meters how long the user has been using
the computer, for example) cannot be killed by the user. When time runs
up, the app takes over the system, "freezing" all other applications
(different implementations will implement "freezing" differently --
perhaps the apps are still running, but all keyboard/mouse input is
captured and prevented from reaching the app), requesting that the user
buys more time.

- Oliver

Chris Uppal

Oliver Wong wrote:

> I'm guessing the OP wants to completely lock down the system, so that
> his main application (e.g. which meters how long the user has been using
> the computer, for example) cannot be killed by the user.

That, or something like it, seems quite plausible. I don't think that Java is
the right language at all for such a program, though (unless perhaps that
feature was just one small feature of a much larger Java-ish "application").

-- chris

Lew

Chris Uppal wrote:
> That, or something like it, seems quite plausible. I don't think that Java is
> the right language at all for such a program, though (unless perhaps that
> feature was just one small feature of a much larger Java-ish "application").

I thought cyber cafes usually did their monitoring from a network or
Citrix[-like] server which timed the period from login to logout of the remote
nodes. Hotels use a Web gateway for Internet access, and you have to pay to
play. None of the billing, access or monitoring software runs on the client
machine, thus the patron has no conceivable access to the master processes.
Such a remote monitor system could indeed be written in Java.

I assess that having the monitor within the system that it monitors to be
fraught with Godelian peril.

-- Lew