Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > "freeze" desktop

"freeze" desktop

max

hi all,

I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??

Thanks.

max

anyone please??

On Mar 21, 1:00 pm, "max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
> compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
> freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??
>
> Thanks.

Andrew Thompson

On Mar 22, 12:23 am, "max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> anyone please??

Please ..
- refrain from top-posting, and
- fix that sticky '?' key.
- be more patient when dealing with usenet*.

* Perhaps if you need answers within a 72
hour time frame, a help-desk or consultant
might be a better way to go.

> On Mar 21, 1:00 pm, "max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
> > compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
> > freeze the desktop until the process is done.

What do you mean by 'freeze the desktop'?

As little as I understand your question, it
seems you want the user to be 'locked out' of
doing anything (including in other applications)
while this program does its updates. But that
is just silly.

> How can i do that??

Why would you want to do that?

Andrew T.

Oliver Wong

"max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> anyone please??

See
http://moinmoin.riters.com/JINX/inde...oups#BePatient

> On Mar 21, 1:00 pm, "max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> hi all,
>>
>> I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
>> compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
>> freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??

I suspect that this isn't possible using a pure Java solution. You
might have better luck asking a Windows newsgroup.

- Oliver

Lew

Oliver Wong wrote:
> "max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> anyone please??

> See
> http://moinmoin.riters.com/JINX/inde...oups#BePatient
>

>> On Mar 21, 1:00 pm, "max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> hi all,
>>>
>>> I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
>>> compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
>>> freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??

> I suspect that this isn't possible using a pure Java solution. You
> might have better luck asking a Windows newsgroup.

and be sure to let us know the product name if it is ever generally available.
I want to be sure never to use it.

-- Lew

Joshua Cranmer

max wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
> compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
> freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??
>
> Thanks.

A) Use another language like C, C++, (shudders) Visual Basic. To write
this is in Java would require so much native code that it would be
easier to use a native language.

B) Poke around either msconfig or the Registry to find information.

Thomas Kellerer

max wrote on 21.03.2007 06:00:
> hi all,
>
> I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
> compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
> freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??

Simple answer: don't

Users will be quite annoyed if you block their whole computer while you are
synchronizing data. I would de-install this type of program a split second after
it has locked me out of my computer

Chris Uppal

Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> > I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
> > compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
> > freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??

[...]
> I would de-install this type of program a split
> second after it has locked me out of my computer

Tut, tut, tut; programmers really ought to think with greater precision than
that. You would de-install the program a split second after it had /let you
back into/ your computer.

-- chris

max

thanks for all the concern, i'm smart enough to avoid writing such
annoying software. As what i mention on the first message, I want the
program to run each time when the Windows start, not in the middle.
The user doesn't have a choice, because i'm writing it for my Cyber
cafe, not for the general market.

Andrew Thompson

On Mar 22, 3:21 pm, "max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ..As what i mention on the first message, I want the
> program to run each time when the Windows start, not in the middle.

A web started application, invoked at start-up,
could not only provide a simple splash screen
and messages to indicate progress, but also allow
other applications to continue in their own
threads, unhindered.

> The user doesn't have a choice, because i'm
> writing it for my Cyber cafe, ..

What precisely do you mean by 'my Cyber cafe',
are you referring to a shop with a row of
computers, and staff employed by you, to switch
them on in the morning (or reboot them as needed)?

What does this 'locking of the desktop' offer to
the process, how does it bring any advantage to
the people who are booting the computers?
(And if the answer is 'none', then 'why bother?')

>..not for the general market.

If my understanding of 'Cyber cafe' is correct,
the end users who are paying for computer time
do not need to (re)boot the PC's? Is that what
you mean?

Andrew T.