Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > best P4 fan and heatsink

best P4 fan and heatsink

Blackie

Hi,

I've always had AMD processors in the past, but recently
ordered a sort of bare bones box with a P4, it's fan and
heatsink already installed. I'm not familiar with them, but
I note after only a few months use, the heatsink fins are
quite dirty. They are very thin and close together. I have
noticed this cpu runs quite a lot cooler than an AMD
processor, but need to find out what the maximum running
temperature could be. I can google for that info, but I'd
like a recommendation for a P4 heatsink if you'd know any,
I'd like to get a spare so I can keep the computer up when I
need to take the other out for cleaning.

Thanks,
Betty

Blinky the Shark

Blackie wrote:

> I've always had AMD processors in the past, but recently ordered a
> sort of bare bones box with a P4, it's fan and heatsink already
> installed. I'm not familiar with them, but I note after only a few
> months use, the heatsink fins are quite dirty. They are very thin and
> close together. I have noticed this cpu runs quite a lot cooler than
> an AMD processor, but need to find out what the maximum running
> temperature could be. I can google for that info, but I'd like a
> recommendation for a P4 heatsink if you'd know any, I'd like to get a
> spare so I can keep the computer up when I need to take the other out
> for cleaning.

Haven't had an Intel chip since the 1990s[1], but while you're waiting
for answers take a can of compressed air to that heatsink.

[1]My last one was a 133MHz Pentium classic; all AMD since then,
desktops and laptops.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Buffalo

"Blackie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46008566$0$17984$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I've always had AMD processors in the past, but recently
> ordered a sort of bare bones box with a P4, it's fan and
> heatsink already installed. I'm not familiar with them, but
> I note after only a few months use, the heatsink fins are
> quite dirty. They are very thin and close together. I have
> noticed this cpu runs quite a lot cooler than an AMD
> processor, but need to find out what the maximum running
> temperature could be. I can google for that info, but I'd
> like a recommendation for a P4 heatsink if you'd know any,
> I'd like to get a spare so I can keep the computer up when I
> need to take the other out for cleaning.
>
> Thanks,
> Betty

If you are quick enough to change a heatsink on the fly, you are one amazing
person.

Peter

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Blackie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46008566$0$17984$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've always had AMD processors in the past, but recently
> > ordered a sort of bare bones box with a P4, it's fan and
> > heatsink already installed. I'm not familiar with them, but
> > I note after only a few months use, the heatsink fins are
> > quite dirty. They are very thin and close together. I have
> > noticed this cpu runs quite a lot cooler than an AMD
> > processor, but need to find out what the maximum running
> > temperature could be. I can google for that info, but I'd
> > like a recommendation for a P4 heatsink if you'd know any,
> > I'd like to get a spare so I can keep the computer up when I
> > need to take the other out for cleaning.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Betty

> If you are quick enough to change a heatsink on the fly, you are one

amazing
> person.

Yeah, sounds like a job for superman LOL!

Seriously; you would have to change coolers twice, that will take way more
time than to remove one cooler, clean the heatsink and put it back in
place...that wont take too long, depending on type of cooler, you can't be
sitting behind your PC and clean heatsink at the same time anyway, BUT! if
you are not familiar with these procedures I advice you not to remove the
cooler, a lot of people melted their CPU coz they forgot to apply thermal
grease, applied it wrongly, or by using an overdose of conducting grease,
causing a short-circuit.

Recommending a CPU cooler is kinda hard without knowing the socket type,
brand of mainboard and its layout, plus whatever room you have left in the
barebone case. But as suggested by Blinky a can of compressed air can do
wonders =] You could of course use an old toothbrush and a vacuumcleaner,
but same thing here; you need to know what you' re doing (like NOT using a
vacuum cleaner with metal pipe, risking electrostatic charges to cause
damage).

If you're happy with your current cooler and still persisting to get a
spare, just buy an identical one. Don't forget the thermal grease and most
important; google how to remove/apply the grease before you remove the
cooler ;o)