Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Using Arrays and Collections

Using Arrays and Collections

Wojtek

Stefan Ram wrote :

> If I am writing code as an employee, I surely will have to
> follow the employers coding conventions. In the Usenet, I am
> writing in my leisure and solely for my personal fun. So, in
> this case, I feel free to format the source code as I please.
>
> However, I do not whish to offend anyone. If my newsreader
> would be able to automatically reformated included source
> code to Sun's Convention when sending a posting, I would
> enable this, to please people. But not having this, I do
> not want to do extra effort.

I do go through the trouble of formating the code I present to Usenet,
and it has nothing to do with the Sun style.

I just try to make it as readable as possible, following the thinking
that if it is easy to read, then people will be more likely to respond.

And easy to read in my lexicon is indented, white space between
language elements, braces on ther own line, statements on their own
line, and paragraphing code where applicable.

But I applaud your wanting to do it your way, even though I did not
actually read through the code you presented....

--
Wojtek

Chris Uppal

Stefan Ram wrote:

> Sometimes, it is difficult to tell whether you are doing the
> right thing in spite of a crowd of mislead people trying to
> lead you astray or whether you are doing the wrong thing in
> spite of a crowd of fine people trying to show you the way: In
> both cases you find yourself on the other side, and no general
> rule (such as ╗Always ignore criticism.ź or ╗Always do as the
> crowd.ź) is always right.

I think there's more practical value in considering whether it is expedient to
act /as if/ the crowd is correct, without regard to the underlying truth (if
any).

"Expedient" carries a slightly negative connotation, more so than I really
mean, but I can't think of a more neutral word off-hand.

Personally, and on such topics, I consider it a valuable contribution all by
itself to remind the majority that they are /only/ the majority -- an accident
of numbers, not a matter Universal Law or Platonic Truth -- and perhaps not so
great a majority as some of its members might imagine.

-- chris

Lew

Chris Uppal wrote:
> Stefan Ram wrote:
>
>> Sometimes, it is difficult to tell whether you are doing the
>> right thing in spite of a crowd of mislead people trying to
>> lead you astray or whether you are doing the wrong thing in
>> spite of a crowd of fine people trying to show you the way: In
>> both cases you find yourself on the other side, and no general
>> rule (such as ┬╗Always ignore criticism.┬ź or ┬╗Always do as the
>> crowd.┬ź) is always right.

> I think there's more practical value in considering whether it is expedient to
> act /as if/ the crowd is correct, without regard to the underlying truth (if
> any).
>
> "Expedient" carries a slightly negative connotation, more so than I really
> mean, but I can't think of a more neutral word off-hand.
>
> Personally, and on such topics, I consider it a valuable contribution all by
> itself to remind the majority that they are /only/ the majority -- an accident
> of numbers, not a matter Universal Law or Platonic Truth -- and perhaps not so
> great a majority as some of its members might imagine.

Fine, if you don't want your code to be easy to read for the people from whom
you are soliciting assistance. I fully support anyone's right to defy the
crowd, even if it means being lonely.

-- Lew