Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Is a DVD+R disc rewritable?

Is a DVD+R disc rewritable?

I bought a pack of DVD+R discs at Radio Shack because the clerk said that
"+R" means that it is rewritable and that "-R" can only be written to once.
I can't rewrite over these DVD+R discs, but the discs do have an "RW" symbol
stamped on them. Will someone tell me what +R and -R means? Also, when I
attempted to copy some of my movies from VHS to DVD, I got a message that
says that the movie cannot be copied, and then the machine said "writing to
disc" which took a few seconds. Is the machine writing something that ruins
the discs? Thanks.

pen

"j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SFTLh.7898$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>I bought a pack of DVD+R discs at Radio Shack because the clerk said that
> "+R" means that it is rewritable and that "-R" can only be written to
> once.
> I can't rewrite over these DVD+R discs, but the discs do have an "RW"
> symbol
> stamped on them. Will someone tell me what +R and -R means? Also, when I
> attempted to copy some of my movies from VHS to DVD, I got a message that
> says that the movie cannot be copied, and then the machine said "writing
> disc" which took a few seconds. Is the machine writing something that
> ruins
> the discs? Thanks.

+R and -R are 2 separate types of write once disks. RW is re-writeable.

Robert Baer

j wrote:
> I bought a pack of DVD+R discs at Radio Shack because the clerk said that
> "+R" means that it is rewritable and that "-R" can only be written to once.
> I can't rewrite over these DVD+R discs, but the discs do have an "RW" symbol
> stamped on them. Will someone tell me what +R and -R means? Also, when I
> attempted to copy some of my movies from VHS to DVD, I got a message that
> says that the movie cannot be copied, and then the machine said "writing to
> disc" which took a few seconds. Is the machine writing something that ruins
> the discs? Thanks.

As usual, the "salesperson" did not know squat; they only wanted to
earn their commission.
DVD-R and DVD+R are write once read many disks; take them back for a
refund and buy disks elsewhere (Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, etc).
DVD-RW and DVD+RW are re-writeable; that is what the "W" stands for.
Not much difference between -R and +R (or -RW and +RW) these daze; i
use +RW exclusively for everything, even if i know it is going to be a
"one-shot".

Have you never heard of "Digital Rights Management" (DRM)?
That means you have no rights at all of making a copy even if that
copy is allowed in the copyright law.
Numerous movies are "protected" this way, and it will get worse -
especially in the high definition area, as Micro$uck has a mandate in
their Vista software that *all* hardware (and companion software) *must*
comply to DRM.
This means that new hardware will be made to that *mandate* and Linux
or any other software cannot get around the BS.

John A

"j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SFTLh.7898$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> I can't rewrite over these DVD+R discs, but the discs do have an "RW"

symbol
> stamped on them.

That "RW" with a bit if the R missing and the strokes of the W vertical
doesn't mean it is a re-writeable disc - just that it uses the "+"
technology. Don't ask me why such a confusing logo was adopted!