Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Truecrypt 4.3 Released

Truecrypt 4.3 Released

Hexalon

On Mar 20, 8:28 pm, Sebastian Gottschalk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> cemeqi wrote:
> > Does this mean that the Security and Encryption FAQ is not up-to-date or
> > that the TrueCrypt page is not entirely correct? Or, alternatively, that
> > there is something I am missing?

> An *unmounted* volume cannot be differed from random data. Trying to mount
> a volume is implemented by trying all ciphers with the provided key and
> will be successful if the volume is actually a TrueCrypt volume.
>
> If you read the history, it tells that you cannot create any more new
> volume with some of the deprecated ciphers, but it will still recognize
> such volumes. Totally removing this cipher is scheduled for TrueCrypt v5.0.
>
> Thus, if you have such an old volume, it will still work. But you should
> really consider migration.

What cipher's are going away? I currently use 256-bit AES. Will that
one be around? TIA

nemo_outis

"Hexalon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com:

> What cipher's are going away? I currently use 256-bit AES. Will that
> one be around? TIA

Read the full story for yourself:

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=version-history

Regards,

Hexalon

On Mar 23, 9:46 pm, "nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Hexalon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> > What cipher's are going away? I currently use 256-bit AES. Will that
> > one be around? TIA

> Read the full story for yourself:
>
> http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=version-history
>
> Regards,

Thanks.

Rick Merrill

nemo_outis wrote:
> "Hexalon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com:

>> What cipher's are going away? I currently use 256-bit AES. Will that
>> one be around? TIA

> Read the full story for yourself:
>
> http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=version-history
>
> Regards,

Our firewall uses 1024 bit encryption!
(yeah, a bit of overkill!)

"nemo_outis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> <cemeqi> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> My concern is more with the embedded volume. I don't mind if the
>> external volume is recognized as encrypted. My concern is that the
>> volume within the volume remains hidden. If it is possible to
>> recognize the presence of the hidden volume within the external volume
>> then it would defeats its purpose. That was my concern in the initial
>> question too but I probably formulated it badly.

> The Truecrypt documentation goes to some lengths to describe how the
> "inner
> embedded volume" is kept undetectable. If you are unsatisfied with the
> explanation then you must do your own tests (or scrounge about on google
> see if some one has done this for you and if you are satisfied with their
> description/methodology/results).

Will try that some day. I must admit I have not as yet installed Truecrypt,
part of the reason being what I have read in the reference above. I am still
unclear as to why Dr. Who wrote such a thing but it seems that it is not
such a clear-cut issue after all. Thanks.

Hexalon

On Mar 24, 12:45 pm, Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> nemo_outis wrote:
> > "Hexalon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> >> What cipher's are going away? I currently use 256-bit AES. Will that
> >> one be around? TIA

> > Read the full story for yourself:

> >http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=version-history

> > Regards,

> Our firewall uses 1024 bit encryption!
> (yeah, a bit of overkill!)

What algorithm do your firewalls use? RSA? AES? I use 256-bit AES
because that algorithm seems to be a good trade off of speed and
security.

Rick Merrill

Hexalon wrote:
> On Mar 24, 12:45 pm, Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> nemo_outis wrote:
>>> "Hexalon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com:
>>> Read the full story for yourself:
>>> http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=version-history
>>> Regards,

>> Our firewall uses 1024 bit encryption!
>> (yeah, a bit of overkill!)

> What algorithm do your firewalls use? RSA? AES? I use 256-bit AES
> because that algorithm seems to be a good trade off of speed and
> security.

it's IPSEC; hope I wasn't too misleading:

http://tinyurl.com/o7rxv