Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Help with code

Reply
Thread Tools

Help with code

 
 
Ferdy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
Hello Support,

I submitted my site here:

http://whois.domaintools.com/aprostores.com

to get an evaluation of my SEO ranking. Here are the results:

Optimization Score: 84%
Large images are missing alt text: Large images should have alt text.
Not all images on page have width & height dimensions: Make sure all img
tags have height & width attributes.
Link URLs contain querystrings: Rewrite links to work without using
querystrings.

Can someone help with the necessary code to fix these items? I cannot find
help with this anywhere on the whois.com website. I have included the
website address below so that you can view the source code.

Thank you,
__________________
Ferdy
President
A-Pro Stores
www.aprostores.com



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:34:00 -0500, Ferdy wrote:

> Hello Support,
>
> I submitted my site here:
>
> http://whois.domaintools.com/aprostores.com
>
> to get an evaluation of my SEO ranking. Here are the results:

[...]
> __________________
> Ferdy
> President
> A-Pro Stores
> www.aprostores.com


Hi Ferdy,

Just a little to one side of your question: did you make this site
yourself? And if so did you use an editor? (I see in the source that you
mention 'ProStores' which I gather is some sort of commercial site
generation software.)

BTW I am sure I will not be the only one to tell you that this is not
'Support'

Andrew

--
Andrew Strong
http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ferdy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
Hi Andrew,

LOL yes, I know it's not support. I copied and pasted this from a support
website (which hasn't responded, thank you for yours).

Yes, it is a commercial "cookie cutter" site, ProStores by ebay. (The name
similarity is just a coincidence). I have heard that they are not
particularly search engine friendly, but that my be just rumor.

Anyway, I can and do have the ability to edit the header, footer and body
codes for the page. I just don't know the proper syntax to write html code.

Can you help me?

Thanks,

--
Fred Murray
President
A-Pro Industries, LLC dba A-Pro Stores



"Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) valid...
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:34:00 -0500, Ferdy wrote:
>
>> Hello Support,
>>
>> I submitted my site here:
>>
>> http://whois.domaintools.com/aprostores.com
>>
>> to get an evaluation of my SEO ranking. Here are the results:

> [...]
>> __________________
>> Ferdy
>> President
>> A-Pro Stores
>> www.aprostores.com

>
> Hi Ferdy,
>
> Just a little to one side of your question: did you make this site
> yourself? And if so did you use an editor? (I see in the source that you
> mention 'ProStores' which I gather is some sort of commercial site
> generation software.)
>
> BTW I am sure I will not be the only one to tell you that this is not
> 'Support'
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Andrew Strong
> http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/



 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
In article <cWILh.6641$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ferdy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just don't know the proper syntax to write html code.


You don't know anything abut it or a bit?

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:55:03 -0500, Ferdy wrote:

[...]

> Anyway, I can and do have the ability to edit the header, footer and body
> codes for the page. I just don't know the proper syntax to write html code.
>
> Can you help me?
>
> Thanks,


Hi Ferdy,

Well, I am a novice myself but you may cause more damage to your site
than good if your are unsure of writing HTML. Completing the alt tag is
no big job, although you have a lot of pages. Have a read:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/alt.html

As for the height and width for images, most that I saw had this
specified. Any that are missing would be a pain to put in by hand
Surely your software has the ability to add this as you go?

Links with query strings must be addressing dynamically created pages:
this is out of my area completely but is discussed here:

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...49&ctx=related

under 'Make your site easily accessible'.

But it depends what you are after. Search engines usually prefer well
structured pages: <h1> to <h6> for headings, paragraph information in <p>
quotes in <blockquote> etc. Your software does not pay too much attention
to this A reference for this is:

http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/publish.html#index-better

But if you simply want to sell stuff, without learning to write
well-formed HTML, your site appears to have that already with or without
so called 'SEO Optimisation' and I wish you all the best with it!
However if you wish to learn HTML / web design your site will definitely
benefit

Andrew (novice web writer)

--
Andrew Strong
http://www.strong-family.org

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy Dingley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
On 20 Mar, 02:34, "Ferdy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can someone help with the necessary code to fix these items?


Yes, they're called "web developers". You can employ them. Some of
them are even worth hiring.

Alternatively you can learn to do it yourself. If you want a tutorial,
the only one I'd recommend is O'Reilly's "Head First HTML with CSS &
XHTML". You will need to do some work here - it's a non-trivial
exercise.

As to optimising your site, then I think it's impossible to SEO your
homepage and overall site. It's a drop-shipper bucketshop with a wide
range of products -- there's no rational Google search for which it
_ought_ to be returned. if you want targetting, then you need focus.
Try setting the store up to have a stronger "department" character
where appropriate and work on optimising search results for those.
Your homepage itself is probably only going to be used by people
typing the name from memory. Search engine traffic will be going in
deeper immediately.

Apart from that, SEO is easy. Don't try and cheat, the gains are
negligible and short-lived anyway. Instead have some _content_ on
there. Good images, good descriptive text. Good accessible design
that's accessible to the infamous blind users with obscure browsing
tools is also good accesible content for search engine spiders. Read
Joe Clark's free web book on accessibility.

If you have good original content (maybe a dating guide to Tiffany
lamps, that sort of thing) then you'll get pagerank from other sites
and antiques chatboards referencing you.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Travis Newbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
On Mar 19, 10:34 pm, "Ferdy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://whois.domaintools.com/aprostores.com
> to get an evaluation of my SEO ranking. Here are the results:
> Optimization Score: 84%
> Large images are missing alt text: Large images should have alt text.


When you added images, it should have ask you what alt text you want
to add. This will appear if the images can not be seen (for what ever
reason) A google search of "alt text" should provide you with enough
info to know what it is and how to set it.

> Not all images on page have width & height dimensions: Make sure all img
> tags have height & width attributes.


bla bla bla, don't worry, be happy. If they are there then the
browser doesn't have to calculate the image size because you've told
it the height and width values already. If the height and width
attributes are not included, the browser has to load the entire image,
then calculate its size before displaying it. I don't believe it will
effect your ranking either way.

> Link URLs contain query strings: Rewrite links to work without using
> query strings.


Search engines can still crawl a site with URL query strings. But
look at this site for a little more information:
http://www.smart-it-consulting.com/a...de=140&page=53
(heheh note the query string....)

You know, a simple search of google could have provided you with all
these answers.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben C
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
On 2007-03-20, Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 10:34 pm, "Ferdy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]
>> Not all images on page have width & height dimensions: Make sure all img
>> tags have height & width attributes.

>
> bla bla bla, don't worry, be happy. If they are there then the
> browser doesn't have to calculate the image size because you've told
> it the height and width values already. If the height and width
> attributes are not included, the browser has to load the entire image,
> then calculate its size before displaying it. I don't believe it will
> effect your ranking either way.


The image dimensions are typically stored in the header of the image
file. But most browsers try to make a start at laying out the text
before the images have finished loading from the server. If you provide
the sizes, the browser can leave holes in the text that are the right
dimensions for the images when they arrive and you save some
reformatting.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Travis Newbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
On Mar 20, 12:11 pm, Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > bla bla bla, don't worry, be happy. If they are there then the
> > browser doesn't have to calculate the image size because you've told
> > it the height and width values already. If the height and width
> > attributes are not included, the browser has to load the entire image,
> > then calculate its size before displaying it. I don't believe it will
> > effect your ranking either way.

>
> The image dimensions are typically stored in the header of the image
> file. But most browsers try to make a start at laying out the text
> before the images have finished loading from the server. If you provide
> the sizes, the browser can leave holes in the text that are the right
> dimensions for the images when they arrive and you save some
> reformatting.


Still won't effect the ranking


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is the difference between code inside a <script> tag and code in the code-behind file? keithb ASP .Net 1 03-29-2006 01:00 AM
Re: help with repeater, how to code it in code-behind page Phil Winstanley [Microsoft MVP ASP.NET] ASP .Net 2 06-25-2004 03:38 AM
help with repeater, how to code it in code-behind page Tee ASP .Net 1 06-24-2004 12:42 PM
Fire Code behind code AND Javascript code associated to a Button Click Event =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG8gTWFyY2hlc29uaQ==?= ASP .Net 4 02-11-2004 07:31 AM
<code>linklist<Item,8> ItemList;</code> help! tone HTML 4 11-19-2003 02:57 PM



Advertisments