Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX506E and Internet data transfer rate

PIX506E and Internet data transfer rate

szhang3@gmail.com

We will subscribe fiber optics in all our three locations and plan to
replace a old layer-2 switch with a layer-3 3650G switch in the
headquarter to handle VLAN trunking and inter-vlan routing.
The Cisco 3650G has 24 10/100/1000M ports. It will connect to a Cisco
PIX 506E which will do Internet routing. The PIX 506E has two 10M
ethernet ports only.
Based on my network knowledge, we will be limited to the internet by
the port speed of the PIX, but the internal traffic should never go
through the PIX so we should be able to get line speed internally. If
the PIX has 10mbps Ethernet, then we will only get 10m through it.

Does this mean 3650G is a big waste for us? Which PIX or ASA do you
recommend us to consider to guarantee the data transfer rate?
Thank you for your opinion!

Brian V

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> We will subscribe fiber optics in all our three locations and plan to
> replace a old layer-2 switch with a layer-3 3650G switch in the
> headquarter to handle VLAN trunking and inter-vlan routing.
> The Cisco 3650G has 24 10/100/1000M ports. It will connect to a Cisco
> PIX 506E which will do Internet routing. The PIX 506E has two 10M
> ethernet ports only.
> Based on my network knowledge, we will be limited to the internet by
> the port speed of the PIX, but the internal traffic should never go
> through the PIX so we should be able to get line speed internally. If
> the PIX has 10mbps Ethernet, then we will only get 10m through it.
>
> Does this mean 3650G is a big waste for us? Which PIX or ASA do you
> recommend us to consider to guarantee the data transfer rate?
> Thank you for your opinion!

What is your internet bandwidth? Impossible for us to recomend equipment
without it.

szhang3@gmail.com

> What is your internet bandwidth? Impossible for us to recomend equipment
> without it.

Just check out ISP, the bandwidth for Internet is 10M, and the
internal bandwidth is 1000M.
Thanks.

Brian V

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>> What is your internet bandwidth? Impossible for us to recomend equipment
>> without it.

> Just check out ISP, the bandwidth for Internet is 10M, and the
> internal bandwidth is 1000M.
> Thanks.

If internet is 10M and throughput on a 506E is 20M that isn't a bottleneck
then. No worries.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>We will subscribe fiber optics in all our three locations and plan to
>replace a old layer-2 switch with a layer-3 3650G switch in the
>headquarter to handle VLAN trunking and inter-vlan routing.
>The Cisco 3650G has 24 10/100/1000M ports. It will connect to a Cisco
>PIX 506E which will do Internet routing. The PIX 506E has two 10M
>ethernet ports only.

Checking my notes, I see that the PIX 506E supported 100M full
duplex starting no later than PIX 6.3(1). The device is rated
for 100 Mbps cleartext, 17 Mbps 3DES, 30 Mbps AES-128, so it
is designed for more than 10 M.

>Based on my network knowledge, we will be limited to the internet by
>the port speed of the PIX, but the internal traffic should never go
>through the PIX so we should be able to get line speed internally. If
>the PIX has 10mbps Ethernet, then we will only get 10m through it.

Upgrade to 6.3(1) or later and the limitation will be the port
speed of your ISP; according to one of your follow-ups that ISP
port speed might be 10 Mbps.

>Does this mean 3650G is a big waste for us? Which PIX or ASA do you
>recommend us to consider to guarantee the data transfer rate?

With 6.3(1) or later, you can keep 10 Mbps full duplex fully occupied
with a 506E, at least for cleartext. The 30 Mbps AES-128 would
suggest that you could even stream 10 Mbps full duplex as a VPN
with the device, but in actuality the throughput you can actually
get over a VPN is limited by the latency and unless the remote end
were "close" a VPN you'd have difficulty.