Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Metal densities

Metal densities

Mike Easter

I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water

1000 water
1738 magnesium
2600 aluminum
7850 steel
11340 lead
18900 uranium
19320 gold
21400 platinum

So, the next time I get ready to pick up some ingots of platinum or
gold, I'll keep their heft in mind, so I won't strain my back. I'll
just grab one or two at a time.

--
Mike Easter

meerkat

news:45feac29$0$97231$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
>I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
> twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
> long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
> significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
> a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
> which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
>
> 1000 water
> 1738 magnesium
> 2600 aluminum
> 7850 steel
> 11340 lead
> 18900 uranium
> 19320 gold
> 21400 platinum
>
> So, the next time I get ready to pick up some ingots of platinum or
> gold, I'll keep their heft in mind, so I won't strain my back. I'll
> just grab one or two at a time.

Grab a couple for me Mike.
I`ve got some Ibuprofen spray for your bad back <g>

--
BW..

Jeepers Creepers

news:45feac29$0$97231$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
>I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
> twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
> long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
> significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
> a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
> which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
>
> 1000 water
> 1738 magnesium
> 2600 aluminum
> 7850 steel
> 11340 lead
> 18900 uranium
> 19320 gold
> 21400 platinum

22610 osmium!

-Jeepers Creepers

WhzzKdd

news:45feac29$0$97231$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
>I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
> twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
> long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
> significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
> a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
> which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
>
> 1000 water
> 1738 magnesium
> 2600 aluminum
> 7850 steel
> 11340 lead
> 18900 uranium
> 19320 gold
> 21400 platinum
>
> So, the next time I get ready to pick up some ingots of platinum or
> gold, I'll keep their heft in mind, so I won't strain my back. I'll
> just grab one or two at a time.

Wow - heavy metal describes it quite well!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Jeepers Creepers wrote:
> "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45feac29$0$97231$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
>
>>I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
>>twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
>>long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
>>significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
>>a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
>>which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
>>
>>1000 water
>>1738 magnesium
>>2600 aluminum
>>7850 steel
>>11340 lead
>>18900 uranium
>>19320 gold
>>21400 platinum
>>

> 22610 osmium!

I still think Donny is denser than Marie.

Min J. Singh

Mike Easter wrote:

> I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
> twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
> long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
> significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
> a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
> which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
>
> 1000 water
> 1738 magnesium
> 2600 aluminum
> 7850 steel
> 11340 lead
> 18900 uranium
> 19320 gold
> 21400 platinum
>
> So, the next time I get ready to pick up some ingots of platinum or
> gold, I'll keep their heft in mind, so I won't strain my back. I'll
> just grab one or two at a time.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Thus the reason for using Depleted Uranium (DU) in both tank armour and
ammunitrion.
It is also controversial because it is still has low levels of rodioactivity
and when it is used in ammunition can be breathed in by both friendly and
non-friendly forces.

The Old Sourdough

On 2007-03-19, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, R�� waxed eloquently:
> Jeepers Creepers wrote:
>> "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:45feac29$0$97231$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
>>
>>>I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
>>>twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
>>>long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
>>>significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
>>>a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
>>>which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
>>>
>>>1000 water
>>>1738 magnesium
>>>2600 aluminum
>>>7850 steel
>>>11340 lead
>>>18900 uranium
>>>19320 gold
>>>21400 platinum
>>>

>> 22610 osmium!

> I still think Donny is denser than Marie.

But the densest of all is explained here:

http://notsaussure.wordpress.com/200...or-scientific-
discovery-densest-element-discovered/

or

http://tinyurl.com/2porgq

--
The Old Sourdough
Smoking is, as far as I'm concerned, the entire point of being an adult.

Mike Easter

The Old Sourdough wrote:
> R��

>> I still think Donny is denser than Marie.

> But the densest of all is explained here:

// A major research institution has just announced the discovery of the
densest element yet known to science. The new element has been named
"Bushcronium." Bushcronium has one neutron, 12 assistant neutrons, 75
deputy neutrons, and 224 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic
mass of 311. These particles are held together by dark forces called
morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles
called peons. The symbol for Bushcronium is "W". Bushcronium's mass
actually increases over time, as morons randomly interact with various
elements in the atmosphere and become assistant deputy neutrons in a
Bushcronium molecule, forming isodopes. This characteristic of
moron-promotion leads some scientists to believe that Bushcronium is
formed whenever morons reach a certain quantity in concentration. This
hypothetical quantity is referred to as "Critical Morass". When
catalyzed with money, Bushcronium activates Foxnewsium, an element that
radiates orders of magnitude more energy, albeit as incoherent noise,
since it has 1/2 as many peons but twice as many morons.//

--
Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark

Jeepers Creepers wrote:

> "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45feac29$0$97231$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
>>I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
>> twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
>> long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
>> significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
>> a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
>> which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
>>
>> 1000 water
>> 1738 magnesium
>> 2600 aluminum
>> 7850 steel
>> 11340 lead
>> 18900 uranium
>> 19320 gold
>> 21400 platinum
>>

> 22610 osmium!

48968 realdensium

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Frosty

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:58:10 -0400 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Min J.
Singh" <(E-Mail Removed)>, intended to write something
intelligible, but instead wrote :

>Mike Easter wrote:
>
>> I ran into a wiki article recently that mentioned that uranium is almost
>> twice as dense as lead. I have handled and sold bulk lead ingots many
>> long years ago and I found it quite dense - 'heavy', so imagining the
>> significantly greater density of uranium caused me some wonder and to do
>> a little research on the density of some other metals, almost all of
>> which I haven't handled. To give a perspective, I'll include water
>>
>> 1000 water
>> 1738 magnesium
>> 2600 aluminum
>> 7850 steel
>> 11340 lead
>> 18900 uranium
>> 19320 gold
>> 21400 platinum
>>
>> So, the next time I get ready to pick up some ingots of platinum or
>> gold, I'll keep their heft in mind, so I won't strain my back. I'll
>> just grab one or two at a time.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Easter

>Thus the reason for using Depleted Uranium (DU) in both tank armour and
>ammunitrion.
>It is also controversial because it is still has low levels of rodioactivity
>and when it is used in ammunition can be breathed in by both friendly and
>non-friendly forces.

Since the US gov't sets the value of money, they should just use gold.
Heck, we taxpayers don't mind!