Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cleaning salt spots from lens

Cleaning salt spots from lens

Dave S

Hello

I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
soft cloth ?

On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
acidic and can damage the lens coatings.

Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

Thanks

Dave

cgiorgio

Use cotton swabs wetted in de-ionized water (for car battery) when the salt
has dissolved, there is no risk of scratching. Most antireflective lens
coatings are harder than NaCl aniway, but just to be sure do not rub before
it is dissolved.

<Dave S> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
> the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
> thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
> abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
> soft cloth ?
>
> On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
> lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
> acidic and can damage the lens coatings.
>
> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

John Smith

<Dave S> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
> the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
> thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
> abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
> soft cloth ?
>
> On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
> lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
> acidic and can damage the lens coatings.
>
> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Wow, few things worse for a camera than salt... I'd get it off ASAP.

DP

Joseph Meehan

Dave S wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
> the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
> thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
> abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
> soft cloth ?
>
> On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
> lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
> acidic and can damage the lens coatings.
>
> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Damp, not wet soft clean cloth with water, nothing else. In most areas
tap water is fine.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Rich

On Mar 19, 10:20 am, Dave S <Dave S> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
> the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
> thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
> abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
> soft cloth ?
>
> On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
> lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
> acidic and can damage the lens coatings.
>
> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

NEVER clean ANY lens with a dry tissue.

Mike Russell

<Dave S> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
> the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen

My experience with a Kodak Lenspen is not very encouraging. After a bit of
use it started to leave a deposit, not what I want when cleaning a lens!

> but I have
> thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
> abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
> soft cloth ?

Water is better. Buy some gauze. Lens cleaning solution is somewhat more
effective than water, which tends to bead up, and may contain impurities
that will leave you where you started.

> On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
> lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
> acidic and can damage the lens coatings.

Not likely, though it doesn't hurt to be paranoid about screwing up your
lens. I've very occasionally seen optics damaged this way, for high traffic
optics like binoculars, etc.

> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

Not particularly corrosive, but it's best to clean them off sooner rather
than later.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

John Smith

"Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> wrote in message
news:QkALh.16046$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> <Dave S> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
>> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

> Not particularly corrosive, but it's best to clean them off sooner rather
> than later.
> --
> Mike Russell
> www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Humm, have you ever bought a used car from someone who lives near the beach?

DP

JohnR66

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:65dc0$45fed831$401851a9$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> wrote in message
> news:QkALh.16046$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>> <Dave S> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
>>> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

>> Not particularly corrosive, but it's best to clean them off sooner rather
>> than later.
>> --
>> Mike Russell
>> www.curvemeister.com/forum/

> Humm, have you ever bought a used car from someone who lives near the
> beach?
>
> DP

Corrosivness depends on the material being acted upon. Salt corrodes (rusts)
iron due in part to iron's electrical conductivity.
No such issues with a lens.
John

Scott W

On Mar 19, 4:20 am, Dave S <Dave S> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have noticed some salt spotting on my camera lens after a trip to
> the seaside. Someone suggested I clean it with a lenspen but I have
> thoughts that salt spots are likely to be crystalline therefore
> abrasive, so would it be better to clean the lens with water and a
> soft cloth ?
>
> On the other hand I have read that it is better not to clean a camera
> lens too often except that some contaminants like finger prints are
> acidic and can damage the lens coatings.
>
> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

I get a lot of salt spray on my lenses, I just use a clean dry lens
cloth to wipe them off.
When the spray is bad I might have to so this every 10 minutes or so.
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/54206534/original
http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/75904021/original

There are times when the air is just filled with salt spray, so far it
has not been a problem
for either the lenses or the cameras.

Scott

King Sardon

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:36:26 -0400, "John Smith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> wrote in message
>news:QkALh.16046$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
>> <Dave S> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Are salt deposits likely to be corrosive to the lens coatings or can
>>> they be ignored until the picture quality deteriorates.

>> Not particularly corrosive, but it's best to clean them off sooner rather
>> than later.
>> --
>> Mike Russell
>> www.curvemeister.com/forum/

>Humm, have you ever bought a used car from someone who lives near the beach?

Those cars would not rust if they were made of optical glass.

Scaremongers will tell you that Coca Cola will completely dissolve a
spoon that is left in it in only a couple of days. Not such a good
comparison to your stomach, though, is it?

Still, I might be a bit worried about a camera that has salt spray on
it no matter where it is, and clean any traces of deposits by
carefully dabbing with a small slightly damp cloth.

KS