Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Need a recommendation

Need a recommendation

Sideswipe

I am hoping the ever wise newgroups can guide me in this. I am
currently in a situation where I have a J2EE app in JBoss and it needs
to be able to generate a word document from a template file (.DOT).
Essentially, I need to be able to slam home values into bookmarks,
insert table (at bookmarks too?), set headings and update TOC. I have
some code now that does this using SWT from IBM (Java-COM bridge) but
it is far from ideal and having some reliability issues

I have tried working with the apache POI stuff and even their own
mailing list admits it's not mature enough yet to handle what I need.

So, does anyone have some suggestions (commercial products are ok)?

Christian Bongiorno

http://christian.bongiorno.org

Joshua Cranmer

Sideswipe wrote:
> I am hoping the ever wise newgroups can guide me in this. I am
> currently in a situation where I have a J2EE app in JBoss and it needs
> to be able to generate a word document from a template file (.DOT).
> Essentially, I need to be able to slam home values into bookmarks,
> insert table (at bookmarks too?), set headings and update TOC. I have
> some code now that does this using SWT from IBM (Java-COM bridge) but
> it is far from ideal and having some reliability issues

The .dot file is a closed specification; good like trying to find what
you need on that.

> I have tried working with the apache POI stuff and even their own
> mailing list admits it's not mature enough yet to handle what I need.
>
> So, does anyone have some suggestions (commercial products are ok)?

Maybe poking around OpenOffice.org.... ?