Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Voip in India ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Voip in India ?

 
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2007
A friend wants to use SIP VOIP in India.
I have read, on the Net,. that there are legal and technological
restrictions placed on the use of voip.
Some of articles I read were 'dated' and things may have changed.

Can anyone comment on the current legal and/or technological
situation for the use of voip in India?
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2007
On 2007-03-19, Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A friend wants to use SIP VOIP in India.


SIP-to-SIP? SIP-to-PSTN? PSTN-to-SIP?

> I have read, on the Net,. that there are legal and technological
> restrictions placed on the use of voip.
> Some of articles I read were 'dated' and things may have changed.


There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

> Can anyone comment on the current legal and/or technological
> situation for the use of voip in India?


www.trai.gov.in should give definitive information. Informed comment can
be found at in.indiatimes.com and www.hinduonnet.com. I know this
doesn't quite answer your question but it should give you some insight
and perspective on the current situation.

Brian.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Saville
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2007
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:44:15 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:

>On 2007-03-19, Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> A friend wants to use SIP VOIP in India.

>
>SIP-to-SIP? SIP-to-PSTN? PSTN-to-SIP?
>
>> I have read, on the Net,. that there are legal and technological
>> restrictions placed on the use of voip.
>> Some of articles I read were 'dated' and things may have changed.

>
>There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
>centred on interconnection with the PSTN.


Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

--

Regards

Dave Saville

NB Remove -nospam for good email address


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2007
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:16:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Saville"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:44:15 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:
>
>>On 2007-03-19, Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> A friend wants to use SIP VOIP in India.


Thanks gentlemen for your comments...

>>
>>SIP-to-SIP? SIP-to-PSTN? PSTN-to-SIP?
>>
>>> I have read, on the Net,. that there are legal and technological
>>> restrictions placed on the use of voip.
>>> Some of articles I read were 'dated' and things may have changed.

>>
>>There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
>>centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

>
>Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
>UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

I am trying to get a fuller picture of what is allowed and what is
not. The last I read was voip to India PSTN was banned but does that
apply still and what about voip to UK PSTN. It is a ridiculous
situation anyway but it is best to know the regulations.




Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2007
On 2007-03-19, Dave Saville <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:44:15 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:
>
>>There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
>>centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

>
> Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
> UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?


Both, I think. It would appear an ISP needs a license to offer a service
which carries voice signals from PC to PC and from PC to phone. The
following URL is a very recent one and may give some idea of the impact
of VoIP in India. It's rather long, so I've split it acrross two lines.

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/
BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms

Brian.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2007
On 2007-03-19, Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:16:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Saville"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
>>UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?


> I am trying to get a fuller picture of what is allowed and what is
> not. The last I read was voip to India PSTN was banned but does that
> apply still and what about voip to UK PSTN. It is a ridiculous
> situation anyway but it is best to know the regulations.


A VoIP call terminating on a telephone in India is not classed as an
internet telephony service. So it is not banned. Or am I interpreting

http://www.dotindia.com/isp/guidelines.doc

incorrectly?

A VoIP call to a UK telephone is also not banned but does come within
the scope of the internet telephony regulations.

Brian.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:33:48 +0000 (UTC), Brian <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 2007-03-19, Dave Saville <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:44:15 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:
>>
>>>There is an evolving situation but the difficulty legally appears to be
>>>centred on interconnection with the PSTN.

>>
>> Would that be the Indian PSTN or any outside one? ie if it went VOIP to say the
>> UK and then to BT. Or is it all VOIP to PSTN wherever?

>
>Both, I think. It would appear an ISP needs a license to offer a service
>which carries voice signals from PC to PC and from PC to phone. The
>following URL is a very recent one and may give some idea of the impact
>of VoIP in India. It's rather long, so I've split it acrross two lines.
>
>http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/
>BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms
>
>Brian.

Thanks for the info Brian. Plenty for me to read and consider.

As a tip for you. If you have a long URL then you can use the services
of
www.tinyurl.com
Paste in your long url and you'll be issued with a short one that will
access the same site. Very useful for posting on newsgroups and
sending emails. Some people don't have a clue on how to put two bits
of URL together, especially if something gets lost or has query
strings in it etc.
If you use Firefox as you browser there is an extension available (go
to tools/add ons/get more extensions) for tiny url that builds the
facility into your browser.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
On 2007-03-20, Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks for the info Brian. Plenty for me to read and consider.


I'm sure you would have found it for yourself but it can help to have
something definite to start an exploration. It's an interesting topic.

> As a tip for you. If you have a long URL then you can use the services
> of www.tinyurl.com
> Paste in your long url and you'll be issued with a short one that will
> access the same site. Very useful for posting on newsgroups and
> sending emails. Some people don't have a clue on how to put two bits
> of URL together, especially if something gets lost or has query
> strings in it etc.
> If you use Firefox as you browser there is an extension available (go
> to tools/add ons/get more extensions) for tiny url that builds the
> facility into your browser.


I've considered using tinyurl. Splitting a long URL across a number of
lines is not very elegant and may be challenging to piece back together,
but basically I like people to see where they are going. I'll rethink it
and may go for some indication of the destination plus tinyurl.

Brian.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:etohh5$p50$1$(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> I've considered using tinyurl. Splitting a long URL
> across a number of lines is not very elegant and may be
> challenging to piece back together, but basically I like
> people to see where they are going. I'll rethink it and
> may go for some indication of the destination plus
> tinyurl.


Select the "preview" feature on the tinyurl site and you get that option.
Anyone clicking on the link gets taken to an intermediate page showing the
full link, they can then decide whether to go there or not.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-20-2007
Brian formulated on Tuesday :
> On 2007-03-20, Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info Brian. Plenty for me to read and consider.

>
> I'm sure you would have found it for yourself but it can help to have
> something definite to start an exploration. It's an interesting topic.
>
>> As a tip for you. If you have a long URL then you can use the services
>> of www.tinyurl.com
>> Paste in your long url and you'll be issued with a short one that will
>> access the same site. Very useful for posting on newsgroups and
>> sending emails. Some people don't have a clue on how to put two bits
>> of URL together, especially if something gets lost or has query
>> strings in it etc.
>> If you use Firefox as you browser there is an extension available (go
>> to tools/add ons/get more extensions) for tiny url that builds the
>> facility into your browser.

>
> I've considered using tinyurl. Splitting a long URL across a number of
> lines is not very elegant and may be challenging to piece back together,
> but basically I like people to see where they are going. I'll rethink it
> and may go for some indication of the destination plus tinyurl.
>
> Brian.


Doesn't putting the url in pointy brackets have the desired effect...?

<http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Website Design India - Web Design India Hyderabad - Web DesignServices India visioninfosyslinks@gmail.com HTML 0 12-20-2007 08:56 AM
Website Design India - Web Design India Hyderabad - Web DesignServices India visioninfosyslinks@gmail.com HTML 0 12-20-2007 08:54 AM
Website Design India - Web Design India Hyderabad - Web DesignServices India visioninfosyslinks@gmail.com HTML 0 12-20-2007 08:43 AM



Advertisments