Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Voip in India ?

Voip in India ?

Brian A

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:48:29 GMT, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Brian formulated on Tuesday :
>> On 2007-03-20, Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the info Brian. Plenty for me to read and consider.

>> I'm sure you would have found it for yourself but it can help to have
>> something definite to start an exploration. It's an interesting topic.
>>
>>> As a tip for you. If you have a long URL then you can use the services
>>> of www.tinyurl.com
>>> Paste in your long url and you'll be issued with a short one that will
>>> access the same site. Very useful for posting on newsgroups and
>>> sending emails. Some people don't have a clue on how to put two bits
>>> of URL together, especially if something gets lost or has query
>>> strings in it etc.
>>> If you use Firefox as you browser there is an extension available (go
>>> to tools/add ons/get more extensions) for tiny url that builds the
>>> facility into your browser.

>> I've considered using tinyurl. Splitting a long URL across a number of
>> lines is not very elegant and may be challenging to piece back together,
>> but basically I like people to see where they are going. I'll rethink it
>> and may go for some indication of the destination plus tinyurl.
>>
>> Brian.

>Doesn't putting the url in pointy brackets have the desired effect...?
>
><http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms>

Certainly has this time, but I have often sent long links to people
by email and they complain they can't use them.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Brian

On 2007-03-20, Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Select the "preview" feature on the tinyurl site and you get that option.
> Anyone clicking on the link gets taken to an intermediate page showing the
> full link, they can then decide whether to go there or not.

My initial thought on that is the extra steps and effort involved in
getting somewhere. But it is something to mull over. Thanks.

Brian.

Brian

On 2007-03-20, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Doesn't putting the url in pointy brackets have the desired effect...?
>
><http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms>

That technique had slipped my mind. Your reminder is welcome. It works
for me here although my newsreader displays it as a very long line. How
would most newsreaders cope with

<http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_...POs_face_flak_
for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms>?

That's deliberately broken across two lines.

Brian.

Jono

Brian submitted this idea :
> On 2007-03-20, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Doesn't putting the url in pointy brackets have the desired effect...?
>>
>> <http://infotech.indiatimes.com/Tech_News/News/ITeS/BPOs_face_flak_for_illegal_telephony/articleshow/1638029.cms>

The above works,

The below doesn't.