Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > time is wrong

time is wrong

sara

the time on my new group page is incorrect, so each time someone posts
something,
the time noted is way off.... how can we change this? also, by times,
there is no note of
a NEW message, just the number of messages and then i check to find
infact new messages...?

thanks,

D.Duck

"sara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> the time on my new group page is incorrect, so each time someone posts
> something,
> the time noted is way off.... how can we change this? also, by times,
> there is no note of
> a NEW message, just the number of messages and then i check to find
> infact new messages...?
>
> thanks,

Check to make sure the "time zone" is set correctly for where you live.

Bucky Breeder

"sara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> the time on my new group page is incorrect,
> so each time someone posts something,
> the time noted is way off....
> how can we change this?
> also, by times, there is no note of
> a NEW message, just the number of messages
> and then i check to find infact new messages...?
>
> thanks,

You could always get one of those self-winding watches
at the "March Madness Sales" if you have malls where
you live.

--

If you're out hiking and your friend gets bitten by a poisonous snake,
tell him you're going to go for help! Then go about 10 feet, out of

A lot of guys will just start crying, "... but I don't want to die now."
That's why it makes you feel good when you tell them it was only a joke -
but he's still always going to be the big sissy cry-baby to everybody
else.

Whiskers

On 2007-03-19, sara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> the time on my new group page is incorrect, so each time someone posts
> something,
> the time noted is way off.... how can we change this? also, by times,
> there is no note of
> a NEW message, just the number of messages and then i check to find
> infact new messages...?
>
> thanks,

What do you mean by "my new group page"? After that part, the meaning of
your questions becomes too obscure to work out what on Earth you might be
talking about.

I suspect that you are under the missapprehension that this public usenet
newsgroup has some sort of connection with Google's proprietary web forums;
it hasn't. If you have questions about Google's services, ask Google. I
think they often have a clickable 'Help' thingy somewhere on their web
pages.

<cue insertion of G2.clip boilerplate:>

Google Groups is not usenet. Google Groups is a combination of

1) A searchable archive of most of the articles posted into most
usenet newsgroups in the last 20 years or so, purchased by Google
from 'DejaNews' who started it.

2) A badly designed web forum interface to allow reading and posting
in those newsgroups.

3) Google's own proprietary web forums, which are not part of usenet.
For reasons of their own, Google do not make the distinction
between their own web forums and the real newsgroups very clear.

1) is a useful service. 2) and 3) are means of getting people to look at
and occasionally click on the advertisements that Google display, and
which earn them their money.

<cue insertion of noob.clip boilerplate:>

Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

<http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

and here

<http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

sara

On Mar 19, 10:05 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2007-03-19, sara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > the time on my new group page is incorrect, so each time someone posts
> > something,
> > the time noted is way off.... how can we change this? also, by times,
> > there is no note of
> > a NEW message, just the number of messages and then i check to find
> > infact new messages...?

> > thanks,

> What do you mean by "my new group page"? After that part, the meaning of
> your questions becomes too obscure to work out what on Earth you might be
> talking about.
>
> I suspect that you are under the missapprehension that this public usenet
> newsgroup has some sort of connection with Google's proprietary web forums;
> it hasn't. If you have questions about Google's services, ask Google. I
> think they often have a clickable 'Help' thingy somewhere on their web
> pages.
>
> <cue insertion of G2.clip boilerplate:>
>
> Google Groups is not usenet. Google Groups is a combination of
>
> 1) A searchable archive of most of the articles posted into most
> usenet newsgroups in the last 20 years or so, purchased by Google
> from 'DejaNews' who started it.
>
> 2) A badly designed web forum interface to allow reading and posting
> in those newsgroups.
>
> 3) Google's own proprietary web forums, which are not part of usenet.
> For reasons of their own, Google do not make the distinction
> between their own web forums and the real newsgroups very clear.
>
> 1) is a useful service. 2) and 3) are means of getting people to look at
> and occasionally click on the advertisements that Google display, and
> which earn them their money.
>
> <cue insertion of noob.clip boilerplate:>
>
> Newcomers to newsgroups should start here
>
> <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>
>
> and here
>
> <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
> newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

wow... i did think this was associated with google. what a bunch of
smart asses you are here. yikes.
thanks for the advice, i'll see what i can do to fix my problem. i
haven't found any place to contact
google directly, so hopeful this was it.
my mistake. and yes, they do have a help thingy, but no way to
contact with questions.

Ben Myers

Double-click the time in the bottom-right hand corner and make sure the
time zone is set correctly. Also, if you are using Outlook Express, you
can configure it to automatically check for new messages. Click "Tools",
"Options" and in the "Send/Receive Messages" box, make sure that "Check
for new messages..." is selected.

Ben

"sara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> the time on my new group page is incorrect, so each time someone posts
> something,
> the time noted is way off.... how can we change this? also, by times,
> there is no note of
> a NEW message, just the number of messages and then i check to find
> infact new messages...?
>
> thanks,

Mike Easter

sara wrote:
> Whiskers
>> sara
>>
>>> the time on my new group page is incorrect,

>> What do you mean by "my new group page"?

> wow... i did think this was associated with google.

As long as you went to the trouble to respond back to the replies, why
didn't you go ahead and elucidate/clarify what you are talking about?
Your google login gmail address does not appear in any google-only
groups or any other usenet groups archived by google.

What do you mean by 'my new group page'? Do you know how to make a link
to the page in question which you are asking about?

Go to what you are seeing that is causing you to want to know something,
don't imagine that anyone else can read your mind or your eyes, and then
try to figure out how to tell or show someone else what you are seeing
and thinking. One way to do that is to copy and paste.

You can copy and paste from your browser's addressline and you can copy
and paste from the context of the time you are seeing.

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2007-03-19, sara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 10:05 am, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2007-03-19, sara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snip

> wow... i did think this was associated with google.

Google don't make the distinction between what they provide, and what they
exlpoit, anything like as clear as they should.

Most of the "groups" you can find in "Google Groups" have nothing at all
to do with Google, and do not owe their existence to Google.

> what a bunch of
> smart asses you are here. yikes.

Ask a silly question ...

People who hang out in this newsgroup (and we do so for our own reasons)
have got pretty fed up with incomprehensible questions from people who
think we are their ISP, or Microsoft, or Google. So we try to turn the
annoyance into entertainment (whilst also frequently providing sensible
help in the same breath).

> thanks for the advice, i'll see what i can do to fix my problem. i
> haven't found any place to contact
> google directly, so hopeful this was it.
> my mistake. and yes, they do have a help thingy, but no way to
> contact with questions.

I suppose you get what you pay for )

If the FAQs and the mutual self-help Google forum don't get you the answers
you are looking for, I'm sure Google must have a 'contact us' mechanism
somewhere. I suppose if it was too easy to find, they'd have to dedicate
all their resources to working out what people mean when they ask
questions that don't make sense.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

ian field

"sara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> the time on my new group page is incorrect, so each time someone posts
> something,
> the time noted is way off.... how can we change this? also, by times,
> there is no note of
> a NEW message, just the number of messages and then i check to find
> infact new messages...?
>
> thanks,

As others have said, you do not make it clear what the problem is - but this
utility enables you to update your RTC from a national standard atomic
clock, so at least your computer will be set to the right time

http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm

D.Duck

"ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XVCLh.7673$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "sara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> the time on my new group page is incorrect, so each time someone posts
>> something,
>> the time noted is way off.... how can we change this? also, by times,
>> there is no note of
>> a NEW message, just the number of messages and then i check to find
>> infact new messages...?
>>
>> thanks,
>>

> As others have said, you do not make it clear what the problem is - but
> this utility enables you to update your RTC from a national standard
> atomic clock, so at least your computer will be set to the right time
>
> http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm

Only if the PC is set to the correct time zone.