Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Advice sought

Advice sought

Mike T.

I've been follwing this group for a couple of weeks now, and I figure that I
might as well start asking questions.

First, a bit of background:

I'm an American who moved to Germany 1.5 years ago for family reasons. In my
mid 30s (199, I decided to make a career change, and returned to college
for my CS degree. The same year, I got a job doing support for a small
software company. In my time there (> 3 years), I was able to move up into
programming bugfixes and enhancements. I got laid off at the start of my
last year in college, and shortly after graduation moved here.

Due to the crappy economy, I've only been able to get a part-time job doing
embedded programming (trying to learn it on the fly), plus doing some
webdesign and this and that. I feel that I have the most aptitude in the
area of databases, and if this part-time gig doesn't go full-time soon, I'm
going to look for something new.

Now for the advice:

Would it be worth it for someone in my position to pursue certification
(pursue meaning to go about it the RIGHT way...no dumps/cheats, etc.)? I'll
be doing it on my own, with books and a home lab.
Do European (esp. German companies) place as much emphasis on certs as
American companies seem to do? Also, keeping in mind my affinity for DBs,
would you recommend going MCSE --> MSDBA, vice versa, or some other track?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mike

Marlin Munrow (The PFY)

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 00:11:00 +0100, "Mike T." <root@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>I've been follwing this group for a couple of weeks now, and I figure that I
>might as well start asking questions.
>
>First, a bit of background:
>
>I'm an American who moved to Germany 1.5 years ago for family reasons. In my
>mid 30s (199, I decided to make a career change, and returned to college
>for my CS degree. The same year, I got a job doing support for a small
>software company. In my time there (> 3 years), I was able to move up into
>programming bugfixes and enhancements. I got laid off at the start of my
>last year in college, and shortly after graduation moved here.
>
>Due to the crappy economy, I've only been able to get a part-time job doing
>embedded programming (trying to learn it on the fly), plus doing some
>webdesign and this and that. I feel that I have the most aptitude in the
>area of databases, and if this part-time gig doesn't go full-time soon, I'm
>going to look for something new.
>
>Now for the advice:
>
>Would it be worth it for someone in my position to pursue certification
>(pursue meaning to go about it the RIGHT way...no dumps/cheats, etc.)? I'll
>be doing it on my own, with books and a home lab.
>Do European (esp. German companies) place as much emphasis on certs as
>American companies seem to do? Also, keeping in mind my affinity for DBs,
>would you recommend going MCSE --> MSDBA, vice versa, or some other track?
>
>Thanks for any advice you can offer.
>
>Mike

Euro MCSE has a similar importance although the dogberts dont seem to
only look at the certs these days. My German friends never really
woke up to MS Certs in the same way as the Brits did but they *do*
carry some weight. The UK Market is similar to the German one in a
lot of ways - I have worked both there and here.

The last time I went to the market via our HR department I wanted an
Exchange 2000 / Windows 2000 MCSE with 10 years experience. (note I
didnt ask for a degree in astro-science) It took us near on 3 months
and 3 agencies to find the right person, who I offered in October.

MCSE is an "entry level" qualification which means you got to have it
to be on the "long list" (leave out the short list).

MCDBA I hold myself and rarely use the skills these days (being
management) - that cert is fairly rare but also not in massive demand.

If you really want to do this can I suggest before you start you
complete Brian Tracy's and Colin Rose's "Accelerated Learning" course
(Audio CDs)" - From Nightingale Conant in UK 70 Euros

The topics you'll need to get best value for your 1000 Euros in my
view are

70-270
70-215
70-216
70-217
70-219
70-220
70-214
=>MCSE

then
70-227
=>MCSE: Security

and if you're not sick of learning by then...
70-224
70-225
=>MCSE: Messaging

If development is your thing you could do a lot worse than changing
224/225 for 228/229

70-228
70-229
=>MCDBA

Thing is, everyone needs exchange 224/5 but a lot of people have the
certs but not many have 2003.

Regarding 2003, I cant really advise here as I am only studying this
and one of my guys had a bear of a time on a course recently having
completed the MSPress courseware before sitting the courses and taking
the exams so this is *NO* *EASY* *MARK*.

================================
We require rigidly defined areas
of doubt and uncertainty!
(remove vroomfondle to email me)

Java Version 5 and Firefox - Advice Sought. Reg Mouatt Firefox 0 01-23-2005 12:19 AM
Beginner Advice Sought jbeck Java 12 09-25-2004 05:48 AM
Free/Cheap Server Advice sought tlshell@concentric.net HTML 7 06-16-2004 07:40 AM
.NET/General Advice Sought Jolly Student ASP .Net 1 06-14-2004 06:11 AM
.NET/General Advice Sought Jolly Student ASP .Net 1 06-13-2004 11:07 PM

Advertisments