Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Win2K server

Win2K server

Michael

Hi,

When starting the AD setup on a Win2000 server I get the following error a
few seconds after
the AD setup has started-

"File Replication Service: The dependency service or group failed to start"

And then the setup fails.
Does anyone know why, and how to workaround this?

Much Obliged
Michael

Paul Lynch

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 19:59:27 +0100, "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>When starting the AD setup on a Win2000 server I get the following error a
>few seconds after
>the AD setup has started-
>
>"File Replication Service: The dependency service or group failed to start"
>
>And then the setup fails.
>Does anyone know why, and how to workaround this?
>

>Much Obliged
>Michael

Michael,

Check the entries in your log files. This KB article should help :

Registry Settings for Event Detail in the Dcpromoui.log File
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221254

Regards,

Paul Lynch
MCSE

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=

----- Michael wrote: ----

Hi

When starting the AD setup on a Win2000 server I get the following error
few seconds afte
the AD setup has started-
"File Replication Service: The dependency service or group failed to start

And then the setup fails
Does anyone know why, and how to workaround this

I'll bet a bag of lollies your DNS is not workin

Michael

Hi,

I suspect that you are right.
I have just let the Windows run the default installation of the DNS when
prompted during the AD setup.

Is there anything I can check to verify that the DNS is working properly?

Thanks.
Michael

"Marko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ----- Michael wrote: -----
>
> Hi,
>
> When starting the AD setup on a Win2000 server I get the following

error a
> few seconds after
> the AD setup has started-
> "File Replication Service: The dependency service or group failed to

start"

> And then the setup fails.
> Does anyone know why, and how to workaround this?
>

> I'll bet a bag of lollies your DNS is not working

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=

----- Michael wrote: -----

Hi,

I suspect that you are right.
I have just let the Windows run the default installation of the DNS when
prompted during the AD setup.

Is there anything I can check to verify that the DNS is working properly?

Go to a DOS prompt. Type "nslookup"

If the answer times out, then there is no name server.
When nslookup returns your server IP as a valid
name server, AD setup will work.

irwin420

hi

i recently installed 2k server with win 2k proff and am trying remot
administration as i have only one keyboard mouse and monitor, th
problem is my server configures to only one ip ie 218.254.252.214, whe
its in this ip i can do remote admini, but if i change the ip t
192.168.0.1 on server i cannot detect server in remote admin mode,

my proff has dhcp enabled, what seems to be the problem ?, why cant
change the ip of the server , and if i do change it why cant i find i
in network, or remote admin mode

please help

rgds :confused

irwin42