Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Gigabit WAN

Gigabit WAN

fjumayao@gmail.com

Planning to connect two remote sites different LANs and VLANs via
Gigabit Ethernet. Both sites have Cisco 6000 running separate VLAN
domains and have 3600 routers with existing 10MB Ethernet. Just
wanted to get some best practices ideas on how we should connect GB
WAN to replace 10MB Ethernet. This out of my scope but wanted to get
some expert insight.

Thanks

stephen

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Planning to connect two remote sites different LANs and VLANs via
> Gigabit Ethernet. Both sites have Cisco 6000 running separate VLAN
> domains and have 3600 routers with existing 10MB Ethernet. Just
> wanted to get some best practices ideas on how we should connect GB
> WAN to replace 10MB Ethernet. This out of my scope but wanted to get
> some expert insight.

keep the interconnect as L3 if at all possible. Dont use the 3600s on the
WAN link, since they dont have the forwarding performance for 1000 Mbps.

if the Cat 6000s are L3 capable, then route on those, but you may need to
explicitly block the VTP information to keep the VLAN domains separate.

some generic best pracice stuff for IOS - there is a similar guide for CatOS
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...801b49a4.shtml

--
Regards

Thrill5

Not an issue if you use point-to-point connections for the WAN, which would
be recommended. You don't want layer 2 problems bringing down multiple
locations. On a 6500 (or any switch doing that does layer 3), to configure
the interface just like a router port, issue the command on the interface
"no switchport". You can then configure an ip address on the interface.

Scott

news:rU8Lh.2703$(E-Mail Removed)...