Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Advise on which ATA device to buy?

Advise on which ATA device to buy?

J Clavox

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:03:10 -0000, "Steve Barlow"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"J Clavox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:49:31 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>They are also available from Sipgate's
>>>website, should you decide to use them.

>> Personality I would not touch anything from Sipgate they must be the
>> most untrustworthy company that trades in the UK .

>Can you qualify that sweeping statement - that many of us would disagree
>with?

You probably would due to being brainwashed by Ivor Jones .

J Clavox

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:50:42 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>voip.co.uk are good for UK calls.

They are and using 01635 578562 are the best for international cvalls
also.

Brian A

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:38:00 +0000, Malcolm Loades
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brian A
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>My Advice: Whenever you see an ATA on sale make sure it is not locked
>>or has previously been locked into any network.

>What is wrong with a "previously been locked into any network" ATA? My
>Cisco ATA 186 was previously locked to BT but I flashed it for SIP and
>it's worked with Gradwell, Sipgate etc. and is currently connected to
>voip.co.uk

I was trying to generalise instead of going into detail. There are
many PAP2s on ebay that have previously been on Voange. Do a factory
reset and.... you know the rest.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Brian A

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:22:19 +0000, J Clavox <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:50:42 GMT, Brian A
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>voip.co.uk are good for UK calls.

>They are and using 01635 578562 are the best for international cvalls
>also.

I do know that number but
when I dial it on O2 I get an unobtainable tone and, on Orange, after
a 'foreign' ring tone, I get a message in French.
Looks like O2 and O don't like the competition. What these companies
don't seem to realise is that they aren't losing a penny as very few
people would use them for international calls anyway. It is better to
keep customers happy.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

clavox@btinternet.com

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:10:46 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:22:19 +0000, J Clavox <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:50:42 GMT, Brian A
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>voip.co.uk are good for UK calls.

>>They are and using 01635 578562 are the best for international cvalls
>>also.

>I do know that number but
>when I dial it on O2 I get an unobtainable tone and, on Orange, after
>a 'foreign' ring tone, I get a message in French.
>Looks like O2 and O don't like the competition. What these companies
>don't seem to realise is that they aren't losing a penny as very few
>people would use them for international calls anyway. It is better to
>keep customers happy.

I think you could be wrong Brian I never think about mobiles not using
one very much never thought to give the mobile numbers for the
service which are ......................................
> The second number is intended for people who wish to make calls from mobile
>phones where it is cheap or free to call 01/02 geographic numbers. The
>access number for this service is 01635 578107

>Both access numbers can be used 24/7. You will be able to call the same
>destinations as with our O2 mobile access number 0773 066 6890. Anyone with
>cross-network inclusive minutes on a mobile contract should use the O2
>number instead of the geographic number, as we expect the geographic number
>to be in huge demand! There is also another O2 access number to add extra
>capacity on 0779 339 5236.

Hope this helps .

harrogate3

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:38:00 +0000, Malcolm Loades
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brian A
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >>My Advice: Whenever you see an ATA on sale make sure it is not

locked
> >>or has previously been locked into any network.

> >What is wrong with a "previously been locked into any network" ATA?

My
> >Cisco ATA 186 was previously locked to BT but I flashed it for SIP

and
> >it's worked with Gradwell, Sipgate etc. and is currently connected

> >voip.co.uk
> >

> I was trying to generalise instead of going into detail. There are
> many PAP2s on ebay that have previously been on Voange. Do a factory
> reset and.... you know the rest.

I had been thinking of that route - what is the procedure for a
factory reset on a Vonage PAP2? I would want to use it with voip.co.uk

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Ivor Jones

"harrogate3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sZeLh.4820$(E-Mail Removed)
> "Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[snip]

> > I was trying to generalise instead of going into
> > detail. There are many PAP2s on ebay that have
> > previously been on Voange. Do a factory reset and....
> > you know the rest.
> >

> I had been thinking of that route - what is the procedure
> for a factory reset on a Vonage PAP2? I would want to use
> it with voip.co.uk

You misunderstand. Factory-reset an unlocked PAP2 and it relocks itself.

Ivor

Duncan MacCallum

Malcolm Loades wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Brian A
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> My Advice: Whenever you see an ATA on sale make sure it is not locked
>> or has previously been locked into any network.

> What is wrong with a "previously been locked into any network" ATA? My
> Cisco ATA 186 was previously locked to BT but I flashed it for SIP and
> it's worked with Gradwell, Sipgate etc. and is currently connected to
> voip.co.uk
>
> Malcolm

I've couple of ex BT ATA locked and locked Freetalk ATA Is it a major
task to unlock ATA's?
Have tried google for info but found nothing

Cheers

dmitri

Brian, do you know ATAs which pass caller-ID for incoming PSTN calls?

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:40:09 +0000, Brian wrote:
> It has a dialplan facility which is rather rudimentary compared with
> other ATAs and it does not pass caller-ID for incoming PSTN calls. If
> neither of these deficiencies bother you, the VPA-11, at about 25 GBP,
> is a decent, low cost device.
>
> Brian.

fa103

Guys here is a small description of the Flexor 151 (amazing been using
it for 6 months perfect and easy to use check out the hop on hop off
feature!):

http://www.connexin.co.uk then shop.

Add an Internet Phone line instantly and start saving on your calls!

A truly user friendly and reliable product
Free additional landline.
Unified VoIP and PSTN (landline)
Quality of Service that really works.
Emergency calls always possible
Remote configuration and upgrades
PC Integration
Outlook Address Book Integration
Do-not-disturb feature
Visual Indication of voicemail
Hop-on/off service (see below)

Flexor sets new standards for VoIP access devices for the home and
small business markets. This state-of-the-art VoIP access device
allows traditional phones to be connected to the latest Internet VoIP
services, without the need for a PC. It includes the features found on
current VoIP devices, and adds unique innovative features combined
with a desirable and elegant product design.

Hop-on/off
The Flexor comes with a service known as Hop-on/off. This allows you
to dial into your landline number (that the flexor is attached to),
enter your pin and then dial out over VoIP!

Which ATA device? Mick UK VOIP 4 08-03-2006 06:46 PM
ATA advise artlab VOIP 1 09-07-2005 03:32 AM
Serial ATA HD And Ultra/ATA HD's In Same PC: O.K. ? Robert11 Computer Support 1 10-28-2004 10:14 PM
Ultra ATA/100 HDD on a Ultra ATA/33 motherboard Prinxce of Darkxness Computer Support 3 01-06-2004 05:36 PM
ATA 133 HD on a ATA 100 Board buffy Computer Support 2 12-23-2003 03:39 PM

Advertisments