Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Noob programer request help!

Reply
Thread Tools

Noob programer request help!

 
 
rodrigo.aros.m@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2007
Hi - im really lost in java and i wonder if u guys could give me some
tips for learn the language - or how did u started, often i sit in
front jcreator and i dont know what to do, i have tryed books i really
have, but i dont seem to find the right way to learn please give me
some tips and advise of how i should start or any info that would
help.

sorry my bad typing.

thx for the help..

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joshua Cranmer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi - im really lost in java and i wonder if u guys could give me some
> tips for learn the language - or how did u started, often i sit in
> front jcreator and i dont know what to do, i have tryed books i really
> have, but i dont seem to find the right way to learn please give me
> some tips and advise of how i should start or any info that would
> help.
>
> sorry my bad typing.
>
> thx for the help..
>

Try Sun's tutorial.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
lukasz.kalek@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2007
On 17 Mar, 20:27, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi - im really lost in java and i wonder if u guys could give me some
> tips for learn the language - or how did u started, often i sit in
> front jcreator and i dont know what to do, i have tryed books i really
> have, but i dont seem to find the right way to learn please give me
> some tips and advise of how i should start or any info that would
> help.
>
> sorry my bad typing.
>
> thx for the help..


Hi,

I started with 'Thinking in JAVA' - available online at http://mindview.net/Books/TIJ4
- excellent book for beginners (and not only). There are also some
totorials at http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ - right place to
take a look to improve your skills after reading 'Thinking...'
Don't give up,

Regards,
Bigos

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi - im really lost in java and i wonder if u guys could give me some
>> tips for learn the language - or how did u started, often i sit in
>> front jcreator and i dont know what to do, i have tryed books i really
>> have, but i dont seem to find the right way to learn please give me
>> some tips and advise of how i should start or any info that would
>> help.


Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> Try Sun's tutorial.


In addition to the tutorials, available somewhere within http://java.sun.com/,
there are a lot of white papers and article links there.

IBM has developerWorks, with a host of Java stuff.
<http://www-130.ibm.com/developerworks/java> , and alphaworks,
<http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/java> , ditto but somewhat more advanced. They
also sport tutorials,
<http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/views/java/libraryview.jsp?type_by=Tutorials>
..

-- Lew
 
Reply With Quote
 
jupiter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2007

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi - im really lost in java and i wonder if u guys could give me
> some
> tips for learn the language - or how did u started, often i sit
> in
> front jcreator and i dont know what to do,


Try notepad instead of JCreator. That will give you lots to think
about.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-17-2007
jupiter wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Hi - im really lost in java and i wonder if u guys could give me
>> some
>> tips for learn the language - or how did u started, often i sit
>> in
>> front jcreator and i dont know what to do,

>
> Try notepad instead of JCreator. That will give you lots to think
> about.


That is so mean.

Unfortunately, what you get to think about has little to do with Java.

-- Lew
 
Reply With Quote
 
jupiter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2007

"Lew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> jupiter wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>> Hi - im really lost in java and i wonder if u guys could give
>>> me some
>>> tips for learn the language - or how did u started, often i sit
>>> in
>>> front jcreator and i dont know what to do,

>>
>> Try notepad instead of JCreator. That will give you lots to
>> think about.

>
> That is so mean.
>

Sometimes I think I am good at spotting fakes or lazy students, but
I'll admit that this guy rode the fine line that makes them hard to
distinguish.

I read his text again and find it incredible to think of sitting in
front of an IDE and not opening a book and following along. It's
so far from any reality that I've known that, well, you know where
this is going ......





 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Uppal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-18-2007
jupiter wrote:

> I read his text again and find it incredible to think of sitting in
> front of an IDE and not opening a book and following along. It's
> so far from any reality that I've known that, well, you know where
> this is going ......


My guess (only a guess) is that the OP hasn't got going enough with programming
yet for the rate at which the act of programming generates new ideas for things
to do, to outstrip the rate at which you can implement them.

When you first start out there's obviously not all /that/ much that you can
usefully do except soulless practice (reading books, doing the exercises,
yawn...). Finger scales, and worse. As you start to write more, you (or at
least I do, and I don't think it's uncommon) keep turning up things that you
want to try for one reason or another. It may be something that you need, or
something that is an interesting spin-off from what you are supposed to be
doing, or it may be something that's done wrong that you want to try to fix.
One way of another, the more programming you do, the more there is /to/ do (and
that's not even counting paid work

We all know that the only workable way to learn programming is to practise --
but it's difficult to practise if there's nothing obvious to practise /on/...

-- chris


 
Reply With Quote
 
Oliver Wong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2007

"Chris Uppal" <(E-Mail Removed)-THIS.org> wrote in message
news:45fd951e$1$763$(E-Mail Removed)...
> jupiter wrote:
>
>> I read his text again and find it incredible to think of sitting in
>> front of an IDE and not opening a book and following along. It's
>> so far from any reality that I've known that, well, you know where
>> this is going ......

>
> My guess (only a guess) is that the OP hasn't got going enough with
> programming
> yet for the rate at which the act of programming generates new ideas for
> things
> to do, to outstrip the rate at which you can implement them.
>
> When you first start out there's obviously not all /that/ much that you
> can
> usefully do except soulless practice (reading books, doing the
> exercises,
> yawn...). Finger scales, and worse. As you start to write more, you
> (or at
> least I do, and I don't think it's uncommon) keep turning up things that
> you
> want to try for one reason or another. It may be something that you
> need, or
> something that is an interesting spin-off from what you are supposed to
> be
> doing, or it may be something that's done wrong that you want to try to
> fix.
> One way of another, the more programming you do, the more there is /to/
> do (and
> that's not even counting paid work
>
> We all know that the only workable way to learn programming is to
> practise --
> but it's difficult to practise if there's nothing obvious to practise
> /on/...


In case anyone reading this is in that situation:

If you're just starting out: {
* Consider buying a introductory book, following along, and doing the
exercises.
* Consider doing Sun's official tutorial, following it and doing the
exercises: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/
* Consider finding a local university, looking up the schedule for the
introductory Java programming courses, and just attending the classes.
Most universities are large enough that you don't even need to register as
a student (and thus pay the tuition fees). You can just sit in the class
and listen to the lectures given by the professor (I used to do this a
lot, before I got busy with a full time job). Of course, if you don't pay
the tuition, you shouldn't waste the teacher's time buy doing the exam
(forcing him/her to correct it needlessly), and you won't be able to get
credits towards a diploma.
* Consider googling for the term "introductory java exercises" and see
what turns up. Usually it'll be the webpage for a university course on
Java. For example, I got this page:
http://chortle.ccsu.edu/CS151/cs151java.html
}

if you feel confident that the above is too easy for you: {
* Consider hanging out in this newsgroup, answering questions for other
people. If you don't know the answer, research it!
* Consider going to Roedy's list of project and implementing some of
them: http://mindprod.com/projects/projects.html
* Consider heading over to SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/) or some
other website hosting open source software, finding some Java programs
(perhaps one that you've personally used, like maybe the Azureus
Bittorrent Client) and studying the source.
* At this point, you should know enough about Java that you can start
coming up with your own projects as well, perhaps partially inspired by
some of the ones listed at Roedy's site.
}

if you feel confident that the above is too easy for you: {
* Consider heading to SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/), finding
projects written in Java, reading their bug lists, and try to actually fix
some of the bugs, submitting your fixes back to the community.
* Google for "Java programming contest" and consider entering some of
the contests that you find.
* Consider heading over to Download.com (http://www.download.com/) or
some other website hosting closed-source shareware or "small" proprietary
software, and seeing if you can implement a similar program, despite not
having access to their source code or design documents at all. If you
succeed, you might try selling your software in competition with theirs,
or releasing it as open source or freeware for the community.
}

I've added this info to
http://moinmoin.riters.com/JINX/inde...3f?action=show

- Oliver


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Here a noob, there a noob.... JimDoire MCSE 0 04-10-2008 07:23 PM
Certification for C++/VC++ programer Ravi Microsoft Certification 4 01-19-2007 09:27 PM
How to compromise with other programer/PM's bug? Boki Java 22 12-08-2005 12:08 PM
java programer certification IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS Java 3 09-03-2005 04:37 AM
C Programer Harsimran C Programming 11 08-19-2004 11:45 AM



Advertisments