Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from Network Connections.

Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from Network Connections.

Adam Membrey

Hi,
Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
the Network Connections in Windows XP.

uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period down
from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it unfortunately

uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a uPnP IP
restricted NAT.

I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it disappears
after about 30 seconds - 1 min.

I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)

Any ideas?

Adam Membrey

Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear

lol

it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired

I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.

But as I said, the icon quickly disappears

"Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
> the Network Connections in Windows XP.
>
> uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period
> down from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it
> unfortunately
>
> uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a uPnP
> IP restricted NAT.
>
> I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it disappears
> after about 30 seconds - 1 min.
>
> I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)
>
> Any ideas?

Adam Membrey

Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it

They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2 adapter.

If you're interested:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_...asp?dnldID=867

Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway disappearing
(will report back in a few days after a few reboots)

However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective of
whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software

"Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear
>
> lol
>
> it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired
>
> I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.
>
> But as I said, the icon quickly disappears
>
> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
>> the Network Connections in Windows XP.
>>
>> uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period
>> down from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it
>> unfortunately
>>
>> uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a uPnP
>> IP restricted NAT.
>>
>> I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it
>> disappears after about 30 seconds - 1 min.
>>
>> I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)
>>
>> Any ideas?

Adam Membrey

Spoke to soon :~(

*boohoohoo*

I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!

"Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it
>
> They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2 adapter.
>
> If you're interested:
>
> http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_...asp?dnldID=867
>
> Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway
> disappearing (will report back in a few days after a few reboots)
>
> However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective
> of whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software
>

> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear
>>
>> lol
>>
>> it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired
>>
>> I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.
>>
>> But as I said, the icon quickly disappears
>>
>> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>> Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
>>> the Network Connections in Windows XP.
>>>
>>> uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period
>>> down from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it
>>> unfortunately
>>>
>>> uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a
>>> uPnP IP restricted NAT.
>>>
>>> I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it
>>> disappears after about 30 seconds - 1 min.
>>>
>>> I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

Adam Membrey

The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to reset
the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release then ipconfig
/renew

Pleeeease..someone has to know

"Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Spoke to soon :~(
>
> *boohoohoo*
>
> I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!
>
> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it
>>

>> They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2
>> adapter.
>>
>> If you're interested:
>>
>> http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_...asp?dnldID=867
>>
>> Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway
>> disappearing (will report back in a few days after a few reboots)
>>
>> However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective
>> of whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software
>>

>> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear
>>>
>>> lol
>>>
>>> it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired
>>>
>>> I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.
>>>
>>> But as I said, the icon quickly disappears
>>>
>>> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tanya

I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
"Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to
> reset the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release then
> ipconfig /renew
>
> Pleeeease..someone has to know
>
> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Spoke to soon :~(
>>
>> *boohoohoo*
>>
>> I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!
>>
>> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it
>>>

>>> They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2
>>> adapter.
>>>
>>> If you're interested:
>>>
>>> http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_...asp?dnldID=867
>>>
>>> Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway
>>> disappearing (will report back in a few days after a few reboots)
>>>
>>> However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective
>>> of whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software
>>>

>>> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Adam Membrey

Elaborate please

"Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
>bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to
>> reset the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release then
>> ipconfig /renew
>>
>> Pleeeease..someone has to know
>>
>> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Spoke to soon :~(
>>>
>>> *boohoohoo*
>>>
>>> I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!
>>>
>>> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tanya

Rightclick the quicklaunch bar>toolbars>links(put a check) Then I open the
start page for the router. I go to the run box and I type http://
192.168.1.1 for mine. Rightclick and save in my links folder. I stick it
right next to the system tray all my frequently visited links go there.
"Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Elaborate please
>

> "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
>>bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
>> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to
>>> reset the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release
>>> then ipconfig /renew
>>>
>>> Pleeeease..someone has to know
>>>
>>> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Adam Membrey

Oh, right right Already have that

But darn it, I want my pretty little icon to stay

Surely not everyone experiences this problem?

"Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rightclick the quicklaunch bar>toolbars>links(put a check) Then I open
> the start page for the router. I go to the run box and I type http://
> 192.168.1.1 for mine. Rightclick and save in my links folder. I stick it
> right next to the system tray all my frequently visited links go there.
> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Elaborate please
>>

>> "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
>>>bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
>>> "Adam Membrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tanya

HAHA I have Favorg and have a pretty icon. I couldn't keep one in Network
Places either and decided it wasn't worth trying to keep it, was nice while
it lasted but it was only there right after a clean install.