Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Icons down in tray

Icons down in tray

Shirley Azvedo

What is the difference between the icons just to the right of Start and the
icons to the left of the clock?

Ponder

Hiya Shirley Azvedo.

In <news:MMBKh.85437$(E-Mail Removed)> you
wrote:

> What is the difference between the icons just to the right of Start and the
> icons to the left of the clock?

The icons to the right of Start are shortcuts, and to the left of the
clock are running programs.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Shirley Azvedo

Is there any advantage to having a shortcut down in the tray instead of on
the desktop? If so, how do I get it there?
news:1k8uxzcegdphb$(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> What is the difference between the icons just to the right of Start and
> the
> icons to the left of the clock?

The icons to the right of Start are shortcuts, and to the left of the
clock are running programs.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Ponder

Hiya Shirley Azvedo.

In <news9CKh.85543$(E-Mail Removed)> you
wrote:

> Is there any advantage to having a shortcut down in the tray instead of on
> the desktop? If so, how do I get it there?

It's called the Quick Launch Bar. It normally remains visible even when
the desktop is covered, and it's a single click. Just drag a desktop icon
over the bar and drop it there.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Shirley Azvedo

It keeps jumping back up onto the desktop. What am I doing wrong?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> Is there any advantage to having a shortcut down in the tray instead of on
> the desktop? If so, how do I get it there?

It's called the Quick Launch Bar. It normally remains visible even when
the desktop is covered, and it's a single click. Just drag a desktop icon
over the bar and drop it there.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

WhzzKdd

"Shirley Azvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zPHKh.87046$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ponder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hiya Shirley Azvedo.
>
> In <news9CKh.85543$(E-Mail Removed)> you
> wrote:
>
>> Is there any advantage to having a shortcut down in the tray instead of
>> on
>> the desktop? If so, how do I get it there?

> It's called the Quick Launch Bar. It normally remains visible even when
> the desktop is covered, and it's a single click. Just drag a desktop icon
> over the bar and drop it there.
>

> It keeps jumping back up onto the desktop. What am I doing wrong?

Besides top posting? (follow-ups go at the bottom)

Which side of the taskbar are you trying to put your icon into? You can only
put it on the left side next to the start button. Drag it there, hold it
briefly between two icons that are already there, and when the little
"insert" line appears, let go.

83LowRider

"Shirley Azvedo" wrote
> It keeps jumping back up onto the desktop. What am I doing wrong?

Try right clicking on a blank area of your taskbar, and see if
LOCK THE TASKBAR is checked.

Ponder was also suggesting (as common practice) that you post
any followups BELOW the previous posted text.. as this is, below
your question.

You should also 'munge' your email address, so as to keep
from getting a ton of spam when you are posting in a public
forum. There are programs that harvest names from places
such as 'this'. As you are using Outlook Express,

click TOOLS at top of page
click ACCOUNTS
click the NEWS tab
click PROPERTIES
where it says EMAIL ADDRESS, put nospam, or something similar
into your email address to avoid your address from abuse. This will have
no affect on your email. If you care to see others examples, pick a message,
right click on it, and hit PROPERTIES.

MaryL

"Shirley Azvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news9CKh.85543$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any advantage to having a shortcut down in the tray instead of on
> the desktop?

I keep my most frequently-used programs in the tray -- to the right side of
the Start button -- because: (1) I can easily access them at all times,
without going to the desktop; (2) they are accessible with a single click;
and (3) tech support at the university where I work told me some time ago
that shortcuts stored there do not create a drain on system resources, while
an excessive number grouped with the clock can slow down the system.

MaryL