Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Normal Latency to be expected

Normal Latency to be expected

GaileForce GaileForce is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

Based on what I've read so far, this should be an easy one.

How much of an overhead should you expect from any given router.

For example, on a 100 Mbit/s switch and 2 laptops, using a piece of software called NetPerf, I get a throughput of 92.4 Mbit/s between the laptops.

If I introduce a router and have a switch on either side for the laptops to hang off, the throughput drops to 85.72 Mbit/s between the laptops - a drop of 6.68 Mbit/s.

Is this to be expected? If I introduce more routers along the path, will each one introduce a similar overhead?

Thanks.