Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson 3800 vs 4800 Printer

Epson 3800 vs 4800 Printer

David

Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
any substantive differences between the two printers besides the price
point? From the literture it seems to me the print head engines, ink
sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the size of the
ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the 4800. Does this
also hold true as the their respective outputs?

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

David N.

tomm42

On Mar 16, 12:20 pm, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
> any substantive differences between the two printers besides the price
> point? From the literture it seems to me the print head engines, ink
> sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the size of the
> ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the 4800. Does this
> also hold true as the their respective outputs?
>
> Comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> David N.

Also look at the Canon ipf5000, a very nice printer. The 3800 does
save space, it doesn't have a rool feed and currently 17x25 inch paper
is difficult to find.

Tom

DeanB

On Mar 16, 11:20 am, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
> any substantive differences between the two printers besides the price
> point? From the literture it seems to me the print head engines, ink
> sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the size of the
> ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the 4800. Does this
> also hold true as the their respective outputs?
>
> Comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> David N.

The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered printers
are not, they are production line. I forget where I read this though,
so don't take that as set in rock.

tomm42

On Mar 16, 3:01 pm, "DeanB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 11:20 am, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
> > any substantive differences between the two printers besides the price
> > point? From the literture it seems to me the print head engines, ink
> > sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the size of the
> > ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the 4800. Does this
> > also hold true as the their respective outputs?

> > Comments would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks in advance.

> > David N.

> The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered printers
> are not, they are production line. I forget where I read this though,
> so don't take that as set in rock.

the Canon is also well made I would doubt there are Seiko nomes
individually making printers at that level. Check out Luminos
Landscape for a comparison. They say all the pro Epson printers are
hand calibrated, have to do that because the heads are difficult to
replace. Canon's are drop in heads and the printer calibrates them on
setup. Canon heads are user replacable too, just $600 apiece.
The photo/matte black change routine took the 4800 off my list. I like
matte and photo papers.

Tom

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "tomm42" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Mar 16, 3:01 pm, "DeanB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Mar 16, 11:20 am, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
> > > any substantive differences between the two printers besides the price
> > > point? From the literture it seems to me the print head engines, ink
> > > sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the size of the
> > > ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the 4800. Does this
> > > also hold true as the their respective outputs?

> > > Comments would be greatly appreciated.

> > > Thanks in advance.

> > > David N.

> > The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered printers
> > are not, they are production line. I forget where I read this though,
> > so don't take that as set in rock.

> the Canon is also well made I would doubt there are Seiko nomes
> individually making printers at that level. Check out Luminos
> Landscape for a comparison. They say all the pro Epson printers are
> hand calibrated, have to do that because the heads are difficult to
> replace. Canon's are drop in heads and the printer calibrates them on
> setup. Canon heads are user replacable too, just $600 apiece.
> The photo/matte black change routine took the 4800 off my list. I like
> matte and photo papers.

Also check the Canon Pixma iP 4300-I have it and is really nice.User
changeable head, cheap ink tanks, very good quality, very small droplet
size.Prints on cds, prints on both sides of a sheet automatically, has a
permanent paper tray like a laser.5 ink tanks-Y,M,C black and bulk black.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

J. Clarke

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
> ? "tomm42" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>>> The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered
>>> printers are not, they are production line. I forget where I read
>>> this though, so don't take that as set in rock.

>> the Canon is also well made I would doubt there are Seiko nomes
>> individually making printers at that level. Check out Luminos
>> Landscape for a comparison. They say all the pro Epson printers are
>> hand calibrated, have to do that because the heads are difficult to
>> replace. Canon's are drop in heads and the printer calibrates them on
>> setup. Canon heads are user replacable too, just $600 apiece.
>> The photo/matte black change routine took the 4800 off my list. I
>> like matte and photo papers.
>>

> Also check the Canon Pixma iP 4300-I have it and is really nice.User
> changeable head, cheap ink tanks, very good quality, very small
> droplet size.Prints on cds, prints on both sides of a sheet
> automatically, has a permanent paper tray like a laser.5 ink
> tanks-Y,M,C black and bulk black.

That's really in a different market from what he's looking at.

The printers he's looking at print up to 17 inches wide using
pigment-based ink in 8 or more colors. The Canon equivalent would be
the Pixa iPF5000.
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Mark²

DeanB wrote:
> On Mar 16, 11:20 am, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
>> any substantive differences between the two printers besides the
>> price point? From the literture it seems to me the print head
>> engines, ink sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the
>> size of the ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the
>> 4800. Does this also hold true as the their respective outputs?
>>
>> Comments would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> David N.

> The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered printers
> are not, they are production line. I forget where I read this though,
> so don't take that as set in rock.

That's true. Luminous-Landscape.com covers that.

www.pbase.com/markuson

frederick

Mark² wrote:
> DeanB wrote:
>> On Mar 16, 11:20 am, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
>>> any substantive differences between the two printers besides the
>>> price point? From the literture it seems to me the print head
>>> engines, ink sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the
>>> size of the ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the
>>> 4800. Does this also hold true as the their respective outputs?
>>>
>>> Comments would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> David N.

>> The 4800 is hand made and hand calibrated. The lower numbered printers
>> are not, they are production line. I forget where I read this though,
>> so don't take that as set in rock.

> That's true. Luminous-Landscape.com covers that.

While it's true that Luminous Landscape says it, what they say isn't
true. AFAIK there may be some truth to the assertion that the 4800 and
up are hand assembled. But I am certain that the R800 and up
(1800/2400/3800) are individually colormetrically calibrated.
Replacement of either the head, main, or power supply boards require
that the printer is recalibrated, using a Gretag MacBeth i1, and epson
adjustment program.

frederick

tomm42 wrote:
> On Mar 16, 12:20 pm, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi folks. Besides the 4800's capability to use roll paper, are there
>> any substantive differences between the two printers besides the price
>> point? From the literture it seems to me the print head engines, ink
>> sets and resolutions are virtually identical except the size of the
>> ink sets - 80ml for the 3800 - 110 - 220 ml for the 4800. Does this
>> also hold true as the their respective outputs?
>>
>> Comments would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> David N.

> Also look at the Canon ipf5000, a very nice printer. The 3800 does
> save space, it doesn't have a rool feed and currently 17x25 inch paper
> is difficult to find.
>
> Tom

There's now information on the ipf5000 on a wiki run by John Hollenburg:
http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com/

David

On Mar 16, 8:06�pm, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
> > ? "tomm42" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...

> >> the Canon is also well made I would doubt there are Seiko nomes
> >> individually making printers at that level. Check out Luminos
> >> Landscape for a comparison. They say all the pro Epson printers are
> >> hand calibrated, have to do that because the heads are difficult to
> >> replace. Canon's are drop in heads and the printer calibrates them on
> >> setup. Canon heads are user replacable too, just $600 apiece.
> >> The photo/matte black change routine took the 4800 off my list. I
> >> like matte and photo papers.

> > Also check the Canon Pixma iP 4300-I have it and is really nice.User
> > changeable head, cheap ink tanks, very good quality, very small
> > droplet size.Prints on cds, prints on both sides of a sheet
> > automatically, has a permanent paper tray like a laser.5 ink
> > tanks-Y,M,C black and bulk black.

> That's really in a different market from what he's looking at.
>
> The printers he's looking at print up to 17 inches wide using
> pigment-based ink in 8 or more colors. *The Canon equivalent would be
> the Pixa iPF5000.

Yes it is but thanks for the suggestion anyway. As a very old B &W
film and printer person, I am particularly attracted to the latest
generation of Epson Inksets with their added depth for B & W printing.
I don't have the digital - inkjet printing terminology down pat yet so
please excuse my attempts to talk around my lack of technical
fluency.

I appreciate the *lead* to the Canon Pixa IPF5000, and I am now
looking into that as well.

Thanks again all.

David N.