Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > trouble with a switch

trouble with a switch

KDawg44

Hi,

I am having trouble with my switch. I purchased a Cisco ASA of which
I am very happy with but due to this, I had to make a compromise on
the switch. We have a single 48 port netgear switch with no VLANs
configured, no trunks, etc. It is an unmanaged "smart" switch. You
can specify a few settings through a web interface and that is it. I
have some PCs that suddenly are not working. They get the DHCP from
the server but can do absolutely nothing else. If I plug my laptop
directly into the port on the switch, I experience the same thing -
DHCP settings come through, but I cannot do anything else (intranet or
internet). However, some ports work, and when I plug into them,
everything works fine.

It appears that my switch is going bad. it is a Netgear FS50T2 Smart
Switch.

Any suggestions? I realize this is a Cisco board but I appreciate any
advice. This hopefully will give me the leverage to get a Cisco
switch and spend a little more seeing as how we have only had this
switch for 5 months.

Thanks.

Trendkill

On Mar 15, 6:27 pm, "KDawg44" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble with my switch. I purchased a Cisco ASA of which
> I am very happy with but due to this, I had to make a compromise on
> the switch. We have a single 48 port netgear switch with no VLANs
> configured, no trunks, etc. It is an unmanaged "smart" switch. You
> can specify a few settings through a web interface and that is it. I
> have some PCs that suddenly are not working. They get the DHCP from
> the server but can do absolutely nothing else. If I plug my laptop
> directly into the port on the switch, I experience the same thing -
> DHCP settings come through, but I cannot do anything else (intranet or
> internet). However, some ports work, and when I plug into them,
> everything works fine.
>
> It appears that my switch is going bad. it is a Netgear FS50T2 Smart
> Switch.
>
> Any suggestions? I realize this is a Cisco board but I appreciate any
> advice. This hopefully will give me the leverage to get a Cisco
> switch and spend a little more seeing as how we have only had this
> switch for 5 months.
>
> Thanks.

We probably need more information, ie how this switch connects to the
rest of your network, where your router/default gateway is, where the
dhcp server is, and on what network......

If DHCP is working for all ports, then that means connectivity is
being established, at least locally and to the DHCP server. I'm
fairly certain from reading the specs on the FS750T2 that it supports
trunking, so are you using trunking and vlans? Are the IP addresses
all in the same scope? Are the default gateways different for the
nodes that are working from the ones that are not working? Do a
netstat -rn on these boxes and what is showing up in the route table?
Can they ping the gateway? Can they ping other off-network devices?
By name and/or IP address?

KDawg44

On Mar 16, 7:32 am, "Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 6:27 pm, "KDawg44" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Hi,

> > I am having trouble with my switch. I purchased a Cisco ASA of which
> > I am very happy with but due to this, I had to make a compromise on
> > the switch. We have a single 48 port netgear switch with no VLANs
> > configured, no trunks, etc. It is an unmanaged "smart" switch. You
> > can specify a few settings through a web interface and that is it. I
> > have some PCs that suddenly are not working. They get the DHCP from
> > the server but can do absolutely nothing else. If I plug my laptop
> > directly into the port on the switch, I experience the same thing -
> > DHCP settings come through, but I cannot do anything else (intranet or
> > internet). However, some ports work, and when I plug into them,
> > everything works fine.

> > It appears that my switch is going bad. it is a Netgear FS50T2 Smart
> > Switch.

> > Any suggestions? I realize this is a Cisco board but I appreciate any
> > advice. This hopefully will give me the leverage to get a Cisco
> > switch and spend a little more seeing as how we have only had this
> > switch for 5 months.

> > Thanks.

> We probably need more information, ie how this switch connects to the
> rest of your network, where your router/default gateway is, where the
> dhcp server is, and on what network......
>
> If DHCP is working for all ports, then that means connectivity is
> being established, at least locally and to the DHCP server. I'm
> fairly certain from reading the specs on the FS750T2 that it supports
> trunking, so are you using trunking and vlans? Are the IP addresses
> all in the same scope? Are the default gateways different for the
> nodes that are working from the ones that are not working? Do a
> netstat -rn on these boxes and what is showing up in the route table?
> Can they ping the gateway? Can they ping other off-network devices?
> By name and/or IP address?

We are relatively small so we have one scope and everything connects
into the same switch. Gateways are all the same. We have one
entrance/exit to/from the network. The PCs that aren't working cannot
ping anything, even the DHCP server that they are getting the address
from or the gateway. When I switched to another port on the switch,
everything worked great. It is not DNS related as they cannot ping
names or ip's. There is just the one default VLAN. I unplugged my
laptop that worked from one port and plugged it into a port that was
not working (directly, bypassing the patch panels to make sure it was
not a wiring issue). My laptop did not work. I plugged the PC that
was not working into a different port in the switch (one that I knew
was working) and it worked just great. Now I am shuffling the
important PCs into the ports that appear to be working but they seem
to stop working one by one and I am starting to run out of options.

THanks for any suggestions.

trinak trinak is offline
Junior Member

Netgear support site shows VLAN's are available, here's the link:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/fs750t2.asp

Hope this helps....

Trendkill

On Mar 16, 11:04 am, "KDawg44" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> into the same switch. Gateways are all the same. We have one
> entrance/exit to/from the network. The PCs that aren't working cannot
> ping anything, even the DHCP server that they are getting the address
> from or the gateway. When I switched to another port on the switch,
> everything worked great. It is not DNS related as they cannot ping
> names or ip's. There is just the one default VLAN. I unplugged my
> laptop that worked from one port and plugged it into a port that was
> not working (directly, bypassing the patch panels to make sure it was
> not a wiring issue). My laptop did not work. I plugged the PC that
> was not working into a different port in the switch (one that I knew
> was working) and it worked just great. Now I am shuffling the
> important PCs into the ports that appear to be working but they seem
> to stop working one by one and I am starting to run out of options.

Have you logged into the switch and checked the vlans assignments on
the ports? If I found the right documentation online, the switch
supports trunking, which means it supports vlans. You need to make
sure that all the ports are in the same vlan. So if your working port
is in 1, and your non working is in 2, then make them all 1, or vice-
versa if its the other way around.

KDawg44

On Mar 16, 12:04 pm, "Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 11:04 am, "KDawg44" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > We probably need more information, ie how this switch connects to the
> > > rest of your network, where your router/default gateway is, where the
> > > dhcp server is, and on what network......

> > > If DHCP is working for all ports, then that means connectivity is
> > > being established, at least locally and to the DHCP server. I'm
> > > fairly certain from reading the specs on the FS750T2 that it supports
> > > trunking, so are you using trunking and vlans? Are the IP addresses
> > > all in the same scope? Are the default gateways different for the
> > > nodes that are working from the ones that are not working? Do a
> > > netstat -rn on these boxes and what is showing up in the route table?
> > > Can they ping the gateway? Can they ping other off-network devices?
> > > By name and/or IP address?

> > We are relatively small so we have one scope and everything connects
> > into the same switch. Gateways are all the same. We have one
> > entrance/exit to/from the network. The PCs that aren't working cannot
> > ping anything, even the DHCP server that they are getting the address
> > from or the gateway. When I switched to another port on the switch,
> > everything worked great. It is not DNS related as they cannot ping
> > names or ip's. There is just the one default VLAN. I unplugged my
> > laptop that worked from one port and plugged it into a port that was
> > not working (directly, bypassing the patch panels to make sure it was
> > not a wiring issue). My laptop did not work. I plugged the PC that
> > was not working into a different port in the switch (one that I knew
> > was working) and it worked just great. Now I am shuffling the
> > important PCs into the ports that appear to be working but they seem
> > to stop working one by one and I am starting to run out of options.

> > THanks for any suggestions.

> Have you logged into the switch and checked the vlans assignments on
> the ports? If I found the right documentation online, the switch
> supports trunking, which means it supports vlans. You need to make
> sure that all the ports are in the same vlan. So if your working port
> is in 1, and your non working is in 2, then make them all 1, or vice-
> versa if its the other way around.

Yes I know all about VLANs and Trunking. There is only one VLAN.
Netgear didnt argue with me when I explained it and they are
overnighting me a replacement (which is good, I expected them to argue
with me for a while, they were actually rather helpful so I give the
customer service a good rating). Hopefully I can talk mgt to allowing
a Cisco switch in my budget and have this one as a "backup"

Thanks for your help and support.