Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless networking problems

Wireless networking problems

Herkman

I am using a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network adapter on my end and
another Linksys Wireless Network adapter (that is compatible) on the
other ends. I have three computers running Windows XP SP2. I would
like the ability to network these computers and share drives and
folders. I have turned off the firewall on all three computers, and I
turned on file and printer sharing. When I try to map the network
drive \\NAMEOFTARGETCOMPUTER\C from my computer I get a cannot find
error. When I go to network places, I don't see the computers there.
On the other computers, they can see this one either. All of these
computers connect to my wireless router and then go out to my ISP.
How do I network my computers so I can share drives and folders?

Your help is much appreciated,
Jordan

Jordan

UPDATE: Two of the computers are MC editions and one is a home edition.

Jim

"Herkman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am using a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network adapter on my end and
> another Linksys Wireless Network adapter (that is compatible) on the
> other ends. I have three computers running Windows XP SP2. I would
> like the ability to network these computers and share drives and
> folders. I have turned off the firewall on all three computers, and I
> turned on file and printer sharing. When I try to map the network
> drive \\NAMEOFTARGETCOMPUTER\C from my computer I get a cannot find
> error. When I go to network places, I don't see the computers there.
> On the other computers, they can see this one either. All of these
> computers connect to my wireless router and then go out to my ISP.
> How do I network my computers so I can share drives and folders?
>

> Your help is much appreciated,
> Jordan

Can you ping each computer from each of the others?

It would help if you posted the results from ipconfig/all on all computers.

It would help if you posted the results of "net view" on all computers.

As your network contains an XP Home edition computer, you must use Guest
authentication.

Have you:

Renamed the Guest account?
Insured that it has not been turned off?
Insured that the password for the Guest account on all computers is the
same?

MVP Jack has posted information about this subject.
PChuck (/nitecruzer.blogspot.com/) has a site which contains detailed
instructions about setting up a network.

By the way, turn the firewalls back on. You must insure that they are
configured properly.

Jim

Jordan

I turned on WNC instead of the linksys software on this computer.
Mine was the only one running it. As soon as I did I was networked
with one of the MC edition computers. They can see me as well.
Neither of us can see the last MC computer. Any ideas?

Since the two MC editions can't see each other, the problem isn't with
the guest account. I will check to see if I can ping the last
computer.

Jim

"Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I turned on WNC instead of the linksys software on this computer.
> Mine was the only one running it. As soon as I did I was networked
> with one of the MC edition computers. They can see me as well.
> Neither of us can see the last MC computer. Any ideas?
>
> Since the two MC editions can't see each other, the problem isn't with
> the guest account. I will check to see if I can ping the last
> computer.

What I meant was that, since Home only supports Guest authentication, all of
your computers need to use Guest authentication.

Jim

Jordan

Here's the deal. Over a reboot, WZC was disabled and Linksys took
over the connection again. I'm going to uninstall the Linksys
conection program and switch WZC back on.

I checked the computer that wasn't working, and the guest account was
off. We'll see if that does the trick.

Thanks guys!

Jim

"Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Here's the deal. Over a reboot, WZC was disabled and Linksys took
> over the connection again. I'm going to uninstall the Linksys
> conection program and switch WZC back on.
>
> I checked the computer that wasn't working, and the guest account was
> off. We'll see if that does the trick.

If you are using guest authentication, then the guest account must be on.
Jim