Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > C GUIs

C GUIs

bagz@talk21.com

Hi im looking for a relatively easy and straight forward c gui to use,
but not sure which one to go for.

All i have to do is create a little area with a few input fields for
x,y,z start position of a ball.

Anyone have any suggestions as to which may be the best in my
situation?

Thanks in advance

Richard Heathfield

> Hi im looking for a relatively easy and straight forward c gui to use,
> but not sure which one to go for.
>
> All i have to do is create a little area with a few input fields for
> x,y,z start position of a ball.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to which may be the best in my
> situation?

You don't mention a platform, so I presume you'd prefer to remain
platform-independent as far as possible, in which case the obvious
suggestions are Allegro and GTK+ - of which Allegro is probably easier.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) said:
>
>> Hi im looking for a relatively easy and straight forward c gui to use,
>> but not sure which one to go for.
>>
>> All i have to do is create a little area with a few input fields for
>> x,y,z start position of a ball.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions as to which may be the best in my
>> situation?

>You don't mention a platform, so I presume you'd prefer to remain
>platform-independent as far as possible, in which case the obvious
>suggestions are Allegro and GTK+ - of which Allegro is probably easier.

OMG!!! Heathfield giving OT advice!! Shooting his reputation down the
drain in one fell swoop? What will buddy Keith say?

Heathfield actually saying something useful, rather than the usual:

Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

Shocked I am! Shock & outrage, I tell you.

CBFalconer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi im looking for a relatively easy and straight forward c gui to
> use, but not sure which one to go for.
>
> All i have to do is create a little area with a few input fields
> for x,y,z start position of a ball.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to which may be the best in my
> situation?

Yup - avoid GUI IDEs like the plague, and stick with command line
execution of the major phases, i.e. compilation, linking, and
execution.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

jacob navia

Richard Heathfield a écrit :
> (E-Mail Removed) said:
>

>>Hi im looking for a relatively easy and straight forward c gui to use,
>>but not sure which one to go for.
>>
>>All i have to do is create a little area with a few input fields for
>>x,y,z start position of a ball.
>>
>>Anyone have any suggestions as to which may be the best in my
>>situation?

> You don't mention a platform, so I presume you'd prefer to remain
> platform-independent as far as possible, in which case the obvious
> suggestions are Allegro and GTK+ - of which Allegro is probably easier.

OK. Here is the proof... No one has immediately sprung into action,
besides Kenny McCormak to complain about your message being "off topic",
etc. Even if GUIs are not at all related to the language itself.

When I answer questions or bring issues about the language itself,
there are immediately the usual ones that spring into action and
will start drowning the discussion in "off topic" messages.

Behind all this "politicking" is the (so long successful) hijacking
of this newsgroup by a bunch of people that want to impose their
views about the language as a frown entity that should stay at the
1989 level forever.

You are the most prominent of those, but surely not the only one.

So far this people have succeeded in avoiding any substantial discussion
about the language, and actually about anything of interest, so this
group decays into

1) Homework help for morons...
2) Why i++ = i++ does not work
3) Why C99 is not useful and will never succeed.

Any discussion is just forbidden. Good people leave the group,
and the "regulars" as they call themselves win by just
making everybody else leave.

I am working at a client's site since several weeks, can't probably
follow this very closely.

Richard Heathfield

jacob navia said:

> Richard Heathfield a écrit :

<snip>

>> You don't mention a platform, so I presume you'd prefer to remain
>> platform-independent as far as possible, in which case the obvious
>> suggestions are Allegro and GTK+ - of which Allegro is probably
>> easier.
>>

> OK. Here is the proof... No one has immediately sprung into action,

Which just goes to show that I mostly stay on-topic, and so people are
prepared to cut me a little slack from time to time. So what you are
actually proving is that people in this newsgroup (myself included)
aren't quite as inflexible as you like to pretend.

<snip>

> Behind all this "politicking" is the (so long successful) hijacking
> of this newsgroup by a bunch of people that want to impose their
> views about the language as a frown entity that should stay at the
> 1989 level forever.
>
> You are the most prominent of those,

No, you just think I am because you never, ever, ever seem to understand
anything I say. In fact, I am on record as saying that I will embrace
C99 just as soon as it is as portable as C89 currently is.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
email: rjh at the above domain, - www.

Ian Collins

jacob navia wrote:
> Richard Heathfield a écrit :
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) said:
>>

>>> Hi im looking for a relatively easy and straight forward c gui to use,
>>> but not sure which one to go for.
>>>
>>> All i have to do is create a little area with a few input fields for
>>> x,y,z start position of a ball.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions as to which may be the best in my
>>> situation?

>> You don't mention a platform, so I presume you'd prefer to remain
>> platform-independent as far as possible, in which case the obvious
>> suggestions are Allegro and GTK+ - of which Allegro is probably easier.
>>

> OK. Here is the proof... No one has immediately sprung into action,
> besides Kenny McCormak to complain about your message being "off topic",
> etc. Even if GUIs are not at all related to the language itself.

All of the topicality high ground has been well and truly lost by all
recent participants in that ridiculous thread "ANSI C syntax ?".

--
Ian Collins.

Yevgen Muntyan

Ian Collins wrote:
> jacob navia wrote:
>> Richard Heathfield a écrit :

>>> You don't mention a platform, so I presume you'd prefer to remain
>>> platform-independent as far as possible, in which case the obvious
>>> suggestions are Allegro and GTK+ - of which Allegro is probably easier.
>>>

>> OK. Here is the proof... No one has immediately sprung into action,
>> besides Kenny McCormak to complain about your message being "off topic",
>> etc. Even if GUIs are not at all related to the language itself.
>>

> All of the topicality high ground has been well and truly lost by all
> recent participants in that ridiculous thread "ANSI C syntax ?".

Yeah? Somehow Richard Heathfield didn't try to defend that topicality
high ground, he merely wanted to correct Kenny (and failed, and that
provoked more stuff there). Did Richard help this high ground to be
lost?
Maybe it's really people like RH who destroy this "high ground" by
making it ridiculous? "modifying the strings pointed to by argv" thread
demonstrates it nicely, how "on-topic" from a mean to prevent
newsgroup from pollution becomes a tool to prove being right in
any situation.

Yevgen

bluejack

OMG.

Y'all should just get a room. How quickly this ridiculous debate
overtakes even the most innocent of threads.

Malcolm McLean

"Ian Collins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> All of the topicality high ground has been well and truly lost by all
> recent participants in that ridiculous thread "ANSI C syntax ?".

"American" is the first word in the name of the language standard. If we
can't discuss what it means here, where can we?

--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

Is there a scripting tool to build GUIs? Sn0tters@yahoo.co.uk Java 2 07-19-2005 07:56 PM
Testing Swing GUIs Berlin Brown Java 4 07-19-2005 02:49 PM
Can Java do fancy GUIs? Ramon F Herrera Java 56 04-22-2005 11:21 PM
making guis with CreateDialog Stewart C++ 1 09-16-2004 09:07 AM
GUIs and Compilers.. <help> V e X y N C Programming 2 08-22-2003 07:33 AM

Advertisments